Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-25AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-25AT
Kenwood TH-25AT Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $ur6hcq
Description: A single band 2 meter handheld with a good frequency coverage for recieving.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-25AT.

WB9MBK Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 01:37 Send this review to a friend
Best HT ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I feel ridiculous writing about such an old radio but I was reminded of it when the backup battery just died for the second time in the 24 or so years I had this unit. At 68, I hope I last as long as my new replacement battery hi or should I now say LOL?

I saw this as a possible excuse to buy a new unit but they all are awful looking IMHO (and flimsy looking as well) when compared to my clean lined TH-25AT which has such a solid and heavy feel. I'm not very active (as a ham) but I will always have a 2M radio and I'm so glad the "operation" was a success and I can keep my Kenwood.

I long since purchased the battery compartment which takes standard AA cells so that's not an issue, esp. for its limited use. Easily the best HT I ever had (I owned several in the late 70s and through the 80s) and I just felt like acknowledging it. Feels solid in the hand, much like the once-revered Motorola HT-220.

Although a long time ago I was a trustee for a 220 mhz repeater, I have no interest in that band. My only 440 experience was a fast-scan ATV station (that was fun!). So 2M alone is just fine.

XE1DVI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2005 22:04 Send this review to a friend
One of the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of theese radios since 1988 yes! 88. This radio has gone thru everything, I estimate at least about 2000 hrs. of operation on these 17 years. It was my mobile radio for years and it has been with my in my best radio adventures. Solid as a rock!!!

The original antenna is not too god, other than that one of the best Ive' ever had.

About 6 moths ago I bought another one thats been kept in pristine condition for my collection, as for the original one, still working, I use it every day for my link on Echolink.

WA6AWZ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2003 01:27 Send this review to a friend
Great workhorse 2m  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for 7 years (I'm guessing, I can't remember when I got it!) and it just never fails. TX and RX are just great. It's durable as all getout, a little like a Motorola HT. Programming is decent, but having the manual handy is a good thing when you want to change things around. Like another review mentions, you can't get Kenwood parts for it but eBay has occasional parts and stuff, and putting new Ni-Cd cells (AA-sized) in a battery pack is fairly easy. There are other suppliers who still sell non-OEM packs that work fine.

Connecting a 1/4 or 5/8 wave antenna works great, and if you have the DC 12vdc supply you can run a good 5W which will do great.

The only time I get any intermod is in heavy RF areas, rural operating is just great - with a very sensitive receiver. Even out of band (151 and 160 mHz are my usuals) it displays a great sensitivity which easily rivals Uniden/GRE scanners.

All in all, a great first rig, and a good one to take out in the wilds instead of your precious brand new expensive rig.

KG4QBN Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2001 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Great place to start  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio month or so ago in exchange for building an emergency service base station transport box for one of my friends. The same guy talked me into getting my license. About 2 weeks ago I got my callsign and away I go!

This radio is pretty darned good in my extremely limited experience. It has two power levels-- .5 watts and 2 watts. The stock antenna is pretty crummy beyond a few miles, but I bought two new antennas, a 1/4 wave adjustable handheld antenna and a 5/8 wave mobile antenna that I also use in the house.

The 1/4 wave gets good signals to my club's repeater, which is 17 miles away, on high power when I sit on my porch. Problem with that is it gets cold in the winter. The 5/8 wave mobile antenna hits the repeater real well at low power!

The bottom line is, if you have this radio, get a better antenna and will perform very well for you.

The only other problem with this radio is support from Kenwood, ie, there isn't any anymore. However you can get a non-OEM 13.6v battery for it that will boost your power to 5 watts for about $70.