Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-746PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-746PRO
ICOM IC-746PRO Reviews: 345 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1,870 (Street)
Description: All mode HF+SIX+TWO base tranceiver, 32 bit if DSP, 100 watts all bands,digital if filter (51 types),SSB/CW Synchronous Tuning, Lots more....
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-746PRO.

KI5SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Wish I'd tried one earlier!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a base rig with hf and 2 meters. I knew there had been some issues with the 746pro, so I stayed away from this radio. One day I saw an ad where the owner said he had all the problems fixed, repaired and parted replaced on his 746pro and that it was working like new. I decided to buy the radio. This was one of the earlier versions, but as I said, all the flaws were fixed. The audio reports on this rig are as good as my 7700. The shocker to me is the receiver is among the best I've ever heard! The noise to signal audio ratio is surprising. Other than the scope, the 756pro series has nothing on the receiver on this radio. I like the "channel knob" and the "call channel" features. I absolutely hate the push button memory frequency up and down on most modern Icoms! Tuner on this radio is as good as it gets and the DSP, well, let me say I have owned the 7410 and I think it is pretty close. I think this radio is the base version (menus 440 band) of the Icom IC-MKIIG. This one has the frontend overload problem fixed too. I could kick myself for not having bought one of these radios in the past. The only real improvement I would have liked on this radio is a real s-unit meter. All I can say is find someone who owns one and give it a listen.

KU4C Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2014 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Icom 746Pro is the total HF package with 2 meters to boot. The radio has built-in filters and an auto tuner. All controls are easy to access. The audio is superb and the DSP works extremely well. Broadcast shortwave listening is truly a pleasure. Add an all mode 2 meter band and you have an outstanding radio.

KF4V Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2014 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Been a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for over 11 years. The power supply failed within the first 3 years, but the radio has been flawless. It runs about 16 hours a day.

N1VW Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2014 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up to my 2009 review of the 746Pro.
Have had my 746Pro for going on 5 years now. It has been an excellent rig and has been used for CW, SSB and PSK31 work.
My 746Pro has been very dependable. A great rig.

N2RL Rating: 3/5 Jan 7, 2014 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Multiple failures.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Radio works fine when it is working. First problem was when the radio was several months old and the main tuning knob seized. Had to return to ICOM (at my $85 cost) for warranty repair. Several years later the famous back light problem hit. Returned again to ICOM (another $85 shipping cost) and got a bill from ICOM for $217.53 for return shipping and repair. Turned on the radio new year's day and the back light failure struck again (yes the brightness was at maximum). Original back light repair ticket said replace transistor, added resistor and heat sink. Guess it was not an adequate fix. Now looking at Yeasu. P.S. - Have a 25+ year old IC735, only problem was burnt out display lights so was disappointed with the 746PRO reliability.

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 20:53 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far, this has been my favorite HF radio I've ever owned and used. I recently got to spend some time with a 7600, and for it's price, I'd rather have a 746PRO. The PRO is just a great rig that has everything a ham would need in an HF radio. it has great DSP, great filters, great RX and audio, just all-around nice.

I can't say I haven't been a little paranoid of the rig failing from some of the problems people have had with these models, but mine is 6 years old and never give a minute's trouble. I hope it's around for several more years.

NP3ST Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
GREAT OLD RIG !  Time owned: more than 12 months
ITS CLEAR THAT NEW RIGS GOT MORE BELLS AND WHISTLES, AND MORE AND BETTER THINGS,BUT I HAD THIS RIG FOR MORE THAT 5 YEARS,WITHOUT ISSUES.I HAVE WORKED EUROPE,S AMERICA,C AMERICA,AND ALWAYS GET GOOD AUDIO AND SIGNAL REPORT.IN ADDITION A FULL HF RIG ,GEN COVER RECEIVER PLUS ALL MODE ON 2M AT A 100 WATTS.FOR ME THIS RIG IS HARD TO BEAT,IS NOT PERFECT BUT ITS DO THE JOB VERY WELL. MAYBE IN THE FUTURE I WILL GET A MORE ADVANCE RADIO,BUT THE 746PRO WILL BE A BACK UP.AND YES I RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE.

DAVEW5LP Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Great station rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine back when it was first released. It is still fully function and never been modified. No problems. Great station/field day rig.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2013 11:26 Send this review to a friend
second time around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this rig some years back and enjoyed and appreciated it then.. and even more so now. in the interim I've owned all the 756 Pro line and even the 7600. I just love to buy and sell and operate. So, just bought this one a short while ago from a ham who had the mods and updates installed. I thought I would really miss the spectrum scope the 756 pro line radios had.. but not for a minute. With DX spotting becoming as sophisticated as it is I don't even bother using the modest spectrum scope on the 746 Pro. Great internal tuner, QSK as good as any I've experienced, filtering, split operation. All the features I love. I might not have purchased one of these that did not have the upgrades and mods, but I'm happy I found one that had it all done.

KB9NPH Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had me 746 Pro for over 10 years. Buying it new when the reviews were of concern. Never had any problems, but I'm not a contester, just for every day use. Certainly happy with the 46 Pro.