Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-746PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-746PRO
ICOM IC-746PRO Reviews: 344 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1,870 (Street)
Description: All mode HF+SIX+TWO base tranceiver, 32 bit if DSP, 100 watts all bands,digital if filter (51 types),SSB/CW Synchronous Tuning, Lots more....
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-746PRO.

WB0MCO Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Best receive audio   Time owned: more than 12 months
Never have had a problem,I own two IC746 pros along with a IC765 and a IC7700. The audio quality
on receive is superior on the IC746 pro, much more
natural,full sounding to my ears. The DSP is better
than the one in the IC7700,not as much distortion
on SSB. Can't be beat in it's price range.

PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 17:30 Send this review to a friend
wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 14 years of radio and in that time I estimate that more than 40 different models of radios (old and new). The ic-746pro is the radio that I liked the most robust equipment, solid and with many resources TX and RX. he is the main radio from my bench a few years ago, I've had 3 of these and never had any problems with it. Goes well with any antenna and in any situation, I have no desire to change my, Very good job Icom, i love this radio!

KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
4 Years NO issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running the rig for four years now and still absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. I use it mainly for CW and the Digital modes but also on SSB with no problems. I have not had any of the issues to date that some has had with theirs and I really enjoy operating it. It is now being use as my backup rig and I always use the build in tuner into mainly resonant quads. I will take the advice of turning up the screen brightness to maybe reduce the backlight from blowing.

KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
4 Years NO issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running the rig for four years now and still absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. I use it mainly for CW and the Digital modes but also on SSB with no problems. I have not had any of the issues to date that some has had with thiers and I reall enjoy operating it. It is now being use as my backup rig and I always use the build in tuner into mainly resonant quads. I will take the advice of turning up the screen brightness to maybe reduce the backlight from blowing.

K0KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2012 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Before your backlighting BLOWS !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Backlight failures galore ---look at the reviews. Turn the brightness UP to preserve the transistor ----not DIMMER ! If your's has not blown then you can easily heatsink the culprit transistor to the shield can with a small piece of copper and some thermal-compound.
If it fails --- seek professional repair because it's too easy to lift paths with the heat required to remove a power transistor.
This is an annoying problem with an otherwise excellent radio in the mid-price range.

Filtering is excellent for CW or SSB but as with all receivers ---- keep the signal levels below S-9 on the meter. Use NO pre-amp and often use the attn on lower bands. The 'whiners' don't understand front end overload and blame the filters!

160Meters needs some HP filtering if you have very strong AM BC Stations. A "Tee-Match" tuner does provide HP filtering for the receiver but the internal tuner does not.

AC4HR Rating: 4/5 Aug 8, 2012 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Get past the known failures and it is a good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 746PRO for over 6 years. The back light has failed and other problems. I sent my unit to the ICOM repair facility in Michigan and it has worked fine ever since. Not currently in production so all you can buy is a used one. Just make sure it has had the back light fixed and all of the other mods done. Once that is done the unit should last for a long time. I love the adjustable filters and the band stacking. The DSP is just so-so, I use a GAP dsp speaker and that makes it a great receive unit. Bottom line, if you have a chance to buy one, just be sure it has had all the failures and fixes. One that has never had a problem, avoid! It is not a matter of IF but WHEN the design flaws will pop up and bite.
My 746PRO is now my backup unit. My main rig is a DRAKE TR4C.

N2LJ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2012 12:41 Send this review to a friend
The rig I should have bought years ago!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd always liked the 746Pro. I liked the 756s too, but they were out of my price range. A few years back I went with an IC-7000 as a sort of compromise, and thought I'd get around to installing it in a car some day. Well, that day never did come, and when I was presented the opportunity to swap my 7k and AH-4 even up for a 746Pro, I jumped at the chance.

And I'm very glad I did!

It's tough to make a comparison between rigs that, though they do mostly the same job, have very different design parameters put upon them. I made plenty of contacts with the 7k, but I was often frustrated by how often you need to dive into the menus and the manual, but that's what you deal with in almost any mobile rig!

The 746Pro gets away from much of that, putting knobs to work where menus would be used on the 7k. Case in point, the NR (noise reduction) adjustment for the DSP is it's own knob on the 746Pro, giving a much finer and easier to work adjustment.

I would recommend this rig to any Ham, but especially to a new or new-to-HF Ham who might also be considering rigs similar to the IC-7000 or the IC-718. Unless you need a rig to go mobile, I'd suggest that a well-cared-for 746Pro is a great way to get a good start into HF today at a good price.

K5LXY Rating: 2/5 May 1, 2012 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Wish it would just WORK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here is my story, got this rig at a ham fest 4 years ago. For the 1st 3 years just ran it with a G5RV & Comet 250B & SM 20 mic. Experienced no problems. I then upgraded to a Hex beam (10/15/20), 40/80 double bazooka, Heil PR-30 and W2IHY Dual Band EQ I was now talking the world, then the wheels fell off. 3 consecutive TX failures all within 5 months. Was it my antennas? Checked them with an MFJ analyzer & no issues. In addition each spare rig I put in place while the 746 was being repaired operated flawlessly. Doubt it was power/antenna/feed line. So now I wait for its return for a 3rd time from Houston Amateur Radio whose Tech worked for Icom and face the 3 strikes and your out benchmark. I was told by HRS the first failure was due to diodes (?), the second due to the well known IC151 failure, what will #3 be? Let me close by saying I could be happy as a clam if this rig just worked, when it does it is hard to beat; great RX/TX/audio/2M & 6M what's not to love? That would be the TX failure, and each time it has happened I simply turned it on and nada! The odd part is I have friends out there who have had this rig and never suffered. Guess it's just a roll of the dice. So if you like to gamble by all means the radio is awesome, but if you get a lemon you will experience a repeated gut kick when you sit down and prepare for QSO's that won't happen. Best wishes in your decision.

KD8FTH Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using the 746 Pro for a little better than 4 years now. It has performed wonderfully. I have used it extensively on SSB, 2 meter FM, and digital modes. The receiver is great. It is feature packed. All Icom rigs of late have lil pots that so far is my only complaint.. Hope to use this rig for many many more years. Now you will have to find them used...but they will last..

Ron
KD8FTH

W4YJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2011 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig but......  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great audio on recieve and transmit. Easy to operate but...NO noise blanker! It is worthless if you live in a noisy location. Why my old 751A outperforms the noise blanker is a mystery but it does. Otherwise a nice rig.