Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-746PRO Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-746PRO
ICOM IC-746PRO Reviews: 350 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1,870 (Street)
Description: All mode HF+SIX+TWO base tranceiver, 32 bit if DSP, 100 watts all bands,digital if filter (51 types),SSB/CW Synchronous Tuning, Lots more....
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/hf/index.html

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-746PRO.

N4VBH Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 20:53 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
So far, this has been my favorite HF radio I've ever owned and used. I recently got to spend some time with a 7600, and for it's price, I'd rather have a 746PRO. The PRO is just a great rig that has everything a ham would need in an HF radio. it has great DSP, great filters, great RX and audio, just all-around nice.

I can't say I haven't been a little paranoid of the rig failing from some of the problems people have had with these models, but mine is 6 years old and never give a minute's trouble. I hope it's around for several more years.

NP3ST Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 15:48 Send this review to a friend
GREAT OLD RIG !  Time owned: more than 12 months
ITS CLEAR THAT NEW RIGS GOT MORE BELLS AND WHISTLES, AND MORE AND BETTER THINGS,BUT I HAD THIS RIG FOR MORE THAT 5 YEARS,WITHOUT ISSUES.I HAVE WORKED EUROPE,S AMERICA,C AMERICA,AND ALWAYS GET GOOD AUDIO AND SIGNAL REPORT.IN ADDITION A FULL HF RIG ,GEN COVER RECEIVER PLUS ALL MODE ON 2M AT A 100 WATTS.FOR ME THIS RIG IS HARD TO BEAT,IS NOT PERFECT BUT ITS DO THE JOB VERY WELL. MAYBE IN THE FUTURE I WILL GET A MORE ADVANCE RADIO,BUT THE 746PRO WILL BE A BACK UP.AND YES I RECOMMEND IT TO ANY ONE.

DAVEW5LP Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Great station rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased mine back when it was first released. It is still fully function and never been modified. No problems. Great station/field day rig.

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2013 11:26 Send this review to a friend
second time around  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had this rig some years back and enjoyed and appreciated it then.. and even more so now. in the interim I've owned all the 756 Pro line and even the 7600. I just love to buy and sell and operate. So, just bought this one a short while ago from a ham who had the mods and updates installed. I thought I would really miss the spectrum scope the 756 pro line radios had.. but not for a minute. With DX spotting becoming as sophisticated as it is I don't even bother using the modest spectrum scope on the 746 Pro. Great internal tuner, QSK as good as any I've experienced, filtering, split operation. All the features I love. I might not have purchased one of these that did not have the upgrades and mods, but I'm happy I found one that had it all done.

KB9NPH Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had me 746 Pro for over 10 years. Buying it new when the reviews were of concern. Never had any problems, but I'm not a contester, just for every day use. Certainly happy with the 46 Pro.

W5VK Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2013 10:27 Send this review to a friend
GOOD RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also have a PROII and this rig has a lot of the same technology as that rig. I've used the 746Pro for about a year and it has enough bells & whistles to help pull in marginal signals. Auto tuner works well over a decent range. Price now is certainly reasonable. Having 2 meters on the "home rig" desk is sure nice. If you work a local repeater and/or some 2 meter contests you should like this rig.

WB0MCO Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Best receive audio   Time owned: more than 12 months
Never have had a problem,I own two IC746 pros along with a IC765 and a IC7700. The audio quality
on receive is superior on the IC746 pro, much more
natural,full sounding to my ears. The DSP is better
than the one in the IC7700,not as much distortion
on SSB. Can't be beat in it's price range.

PY2ONU Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2013 17:30 Send this review to a friend
wonderful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 14 years of radio and in that time I estimate that more than 40 different models of radios (old and new). The ic-746pro is the radio that I liked the most robust equipment, solid and with many resources TX and RX. he is the main radio from my bench a few years ago, I've had 3 of these and never had any problems with it. Goes well with any antenna and in any situation, I have no desire to change my, Very good job Icom, i love this radio!

KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 10:50 Send this review to a friend
4 Years NO issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running the rig for four years now and still absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. I use it mainly for CW and the Digital modes but also on SSB with no problems. I have not had any of the issues to date that some has had with theirs and I really enjoy operating it. It is now being use as my backup rig and I always use the build in tuner into mainly resonant quads. I will take the advice of turning up the screen brightness to maybe reduce the backlight from blowing.

KA4UPI Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 10:47 Send this review to a friend
4 Years NO issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running the rig for four years now and still absolutely no issues with it whatsoever. I use it mainly for CW and the Digital modes but also on SSB with no problems. I have not had any of the issues to date that some has had with thiers and I reall enjoy operating it. It is now being use as my backup rig and I always use the build in tuner into mainly resonant quads. I will take the advice of turning up the screen brightness to maybe reduce the backlight from blowing.