Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Tarheel Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tarheel Antennas
Tarheel Antennas Reviews: 197 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: Screwdriver Antennas,Stainless Steel mounts,Mobile and Base

You can write your own review of the Tarheel Antennas.

KE6IB Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the Tarheel 100HP onto my RV and could not be happier! I had an issue with the mobile mount because the back door on the RV would not clear the antenna so I sent it back with some new measurements and it was returned to me in less that a week and was perfect! These people are a pleasure to work with over the phone and are always there for you. The installation manual was well written and easy to follow thanks to all those photos which helps illiminate any guess work. This is my third screwdriver antenna and I find the Tarheel is the best I've ever experienced. The quality of their parts and attention to detail are remarkable.
I also installed the TuneMatic automatic tuner which is the ultimate complement to the Tarheel antennas. TuneMatic is a another Ist class product. The two companies seem to know each other well so it was very easy to corrordinate between them. I can recommend both products without any reservations. TJ Mackle KE6IB
W3EME Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile HF Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok fellow hams I've waited over a year to write this review and I have the Tarheel 100HP(High Power) on a Tarheel 1 1/4' rear-mounted reciever hitch on my 2003 VW Jetta Diesel car. Rig is a FT-857D and I use a Ameritron ALS500M mobile HF amp driven by a 100AH Gel Cel battery. I park in low garages with antenna set for 3.947MHZ with the 'Cap' hat on it (I don't need the whip but that works great too) and I get 5&9+ reports all the time on 10M-80M. I've been extremely happy with my rolling base station setup. I had one problem where the antenna wouldn't stay on frequency, I worked with Bob on tech support and it was decided I'd bring the antenna to Dayton last spring for them to look at it. Galen (the owner) personally inspected my antenna and determined the top thrust bearing had failed (they had a small run of failed bearings) and he replaced mine with a brand new antenna on the spot!! I have since not had any troubles with the antenna and I operate while driving every day. There are a lot of screwdriver antenna manufacturers out there but I feel what really counts is the tech support and customer service if you have problems and I give Tarheel a big '10' for service and quality. Be assured, this company is all about quality and customer service. Thanks for reading and no, I am not associated with the company in any way, just a satisfied mobile HF enthusiast.
VE2CYJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2015 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Super Antgenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did install a tarheel antenna 100 Hp as a base antenna with some radial on the roof of the condo. It works great. I already did 66 country in two years. I have great report with this antenna. I will use it with a ampli. This antenna is good for 1.5kw. Thoose antenna are great for restricted placex
DF2AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel M300 - Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up on my flat top roof in August 2011 at my new qth. No other antennas possible here. My radial-system consists of some squaremeters chicken-wire. Since I put up the antenna, i managed to work around 15.000QSOs into 240 DXCC across all bands. Even JA and PY on 80m. Best contact on 160m to EA8 (3150km). For me, this antenna works great! Good thing for restricted areas.
WA6RKK Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Tar heel 200A-HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed on my 2012 Toyota Tundra, mounted on a steel plate I made off the left corner of the rear bumper. Whip cut down to 5 ft. and have many bonding straps on the pick-up. I live in N. Idaho and 1st contact was Panama on 17 with poor propagation. Do your home work, set the antenna up correctly. If u are having problems don't blame this antenna, it's your installation. I am very impressed with the build quality.
W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 20:50 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a TARHEEL II & love it.It kicks the ATAS 120A in the groin over & over again.The ATAS-120A is an excuse for a c=screwdriver antenna & was nothing but problems.The TARHEEL II just works where & when I want it to.I use it with an ICOM 7000 & an aftermarket screwdriver controller for one button control.It's almost as simple as operating my ICOM 756 PROII at home.Great antenna & I have had no issues with getting an answer from TARHEEL when I was setting up the antenna.Don't waste your money on that ATAS-120A when you can buy a much better & much better built antenna & not have a need to remove it after every rain that comes so you can empty the water out of itlike the ATAS-120A.That TARHEEL just works & works GREAT! {:>)
KE5AKG Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel 200A followup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a followup to my earlier review. I got the Scorpion Antennas cap hat, and it immediately cured all that was wrong with this antenna. After installation of the cap hat, I have flat SWR from 80-15m, and the touchy tuning issue of the shunt coil as well as the SWR changes with moisture have disappeared. The Scorpion cap hat is far,far,far more effective than the Tarheel cap hat. Now my antenna works perfectly. For 10/12m operation, I just remove the cap hat and replace it with a 3 ft whip. Takes just seconds with the quick disconnect.
I really have to thank K0BG and his outstanding website for the info on cap hats that helped me solve my issues.
KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
the tarheel 100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had my 100 very long yet.
I started off with a 75meter mfj ham stick. And can tell big difference between the two on the 75 meters. when checking into the Mississippi net. with the mfj stick sometimes they could here me and some times they could. Now with the tarheel 100 in same place in the bed of the truck same grounding system. I been able to get though the the pal ups when they call for mobile stations. And be the first one they would hear. And fist contact on it was on 20 meters with a station in TX and I was in MS running 100 watts. And a 5 by 5 report. When the band was not doing very good. It looks like bluidet very good. And looks good on the truck.
K4MMZ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel Model 100 HP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mounted on an aluminun screen enclosure frame in a HOA. It is almost invisible and it works. The best part of my purchase was I got all the telephone help I needed from "Robert". At this point in time most other outfits help is done by e-mail or telephone prompts which is slow or ineffective. Tarheel really does it right!
73 Richard KK4F0A in S. Florida
KK4MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid, High Quality Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live an in HOA antenna restricted neighborhood. One advantage I have is I back up to a forest preserve vs. having neighbors looking directly into my backyard. I installed a model 100A-HP as a ground mounted base with ground radials. I got the all black antenna option, with cap hat. The black blends in well with the forest preserve as the back ground. I had some trouble with getting 80 meter SWR below 2.0 at first, but with two extra long radials (beyond the 10 9' radials supplied with the ground radial kit), I've been able to get 80 meters SWR below 1.5. SWR is below 1.4 on all other bands and especially low on 40 meters (below 1.2) - all with no antenna tuner. I had to remove the shunt inductor completely to for the antenna to work in my particular configuration. Aside from the SWR, reactance jX has been adjustable to almost zero (+/- a 4 or 5 ohms). I used a Rig Expert Antenna Analyzer (a must these days) to take the guess work out of the install and adjustment. I'm running 1kW into the antenna. It performs great.

This is a well built and well designed antenna. I suspect it would work just as well in a mobile install (after all that is what it was designed for!!!), but likely would require the shunt inductor in a mobile install. Robert at Tarheel was great to work with, always responsive by both phone and email as I tried to trouble shoot my matching issues (every install presents it's own set of unique circumstances a ham must troubleshoot and resolve). He even offered to customize the shunt inductor for me - fortunately I ended up not needing it. While it's in a base configuration, I have a well built, high performing antenna that I could just as easily dismantle and install on my truck at a later date if desired.

I highly recommend this product not just for the excellent design and build quality but for the friendly responsive technical support I received as well.