Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Tarheel Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tarheel Antennas
Tarheel Antennas Reviews: 203 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: Screwdriver Antennas,Stainless Steel mounts,Mobile and Base
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Tarheel Antennas.

AA7FY Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2017 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a low profile antenna in the trailer park that wouldn't draw attention and get me on all the HF bands I enjoy. The 100A HP fit that bill and with the radial plate and a full boat of radials I am on the air with 1.5 or better SWT from 10-80. If I hear them I am working them. Really pleased with the antenna performance and the foot print that it takes up.

NC3Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2017 06:44 Send this review to a friend
75A  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I previously used a Hi-Q 3/80 and had so for 100K miles until a trip on I-95 and a sheet of thick ice flying off a tractor-trailer acted like a guillotine.

So I was looking for less costly alternatives and decided on the 75A which was equivalent to what I had.

Well I am very pleased, so far about 30K miles,and many DX contacts while mobile. The 75A also works just as well on 80M and I regularly work deep into EU with just 100W while moving.

Plus the antenna is very good looking and looks very well built.

W8RA Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2016 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great products and service experience - warning about shipping  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'd give Tarheel Antennas and WB0W a GREAT rating except twice now I have had problems with receiving shipments that has cost me significant time and some money.
I have purchased many $1,000 of products from them - I have 4 screwdrivers and numerous accessories/other products and have had at least one service issue - that was taken care of in an excellent manner! Great products, Good work and Good to deal with.
However, here is a caution. They seem to routinely require a direct signature on their deliveries, so if you are not going to be home to receive your delivery - it can create some significant hassle for you, depending on circumstances.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2016 13:38 Send this review to a friend
200A-HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Tarheel 200A-HP for two reasons, one I had a 100A many years ago and had such great lucky with it and secondly a friend and fellow amateur, Ed has this model and I was very impressed with the results he got with it. After building a mount to position it on the drivers side rear corner, I set it up and barely got the thing installed and tuned up on 20 meters went back to JA and to my surprise he answered me. I've tried it on our local chat frequency on 80 metres and I had not issues what so ever with it. I haven't even bonded anything yet and the antenna is great. I will have to go over my F-150 and do some bonding but so far I haven't needed to do anything so far. I'm now waiting for my TuneMatic TM-1 as this controller work great with the Tarheel antennas and the Kenwood TS-480HX.
All three of these items go great together TS-480HX (200 watt mobile), the TuneMatic TM1 and Tarheel's 200A-HP. From what I've read these three units make an ideal mobile system. I'm very pleased with my Tarheel 200A and the Kenwood TS-480HX. I'll update after the TuneMatic shows up and I've had time to play with it.

VE2CYJ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2016 19:27 Send this review to a friend
100HP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Tarheel Antenna 100HP in june 2013 lately i found a problem on it. The bushing was breaking. I did phone the company and i explain the problem and i sent a pic of it to the company. They as me to bring it to the Dayton Hamvention and they would see what they would do about it. I gave them the antenna they told me to come back to the boot sunday before leaving. To my great surprise they gave me a new one free of charge. So i did bring a brand new one antenna home with another year of warranty. Thank Tarhell it is good to do buiseness with your company.

KC7QOP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Little Tarheel HP works fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the HP version of the Little Tarheel, which I assume works about the same as the LT II. The controller is an MFJ-1924 with the ten programmable pre-sets. After using the antenna for six months, I’m pretty happy with it. It’s mounted on the left-rear corner of my pickup truck, which means the way I park influences the signal reports I get. I use the longer 56 inch whip, and carry the stock whip as a spare for when (not “if”) I whack a low hanging tree too hard. By the way, I chose the left side of the vehicle to minimize contact with low branches.

The main reason I bought a screwdriver antenna was to get past the bandwidth problem I had with Hustler resonators. Going up or down a few kHz on 40 meters wasn’t an option with the Hustler, and I attached a tuner to gain more bandwidth, but that involved too much fiddling. The Tarheel solves the bandwidth problem by adjusting the length, obviously, but it also seems to have more “natural bandwidth on 20 meters and higher. As other reviewers mention, the antenna will not tune on 80 meters, even with the longer whip. The instruction manual claims 80 meter portable operation is possible with a 9 foot whip, but I have not tried it. In practical terms, I would consider this an antenna for 40 meters to 6 meters, although I have not tried it on 6 meters.

As you might expect, there is not much bandwidth on 40 meters, even with the longer whip. In fact, the bandwidth is so narrow on 40 that the pre-set position from the controller is often off by just enough to show a high SWR. It usually requires a little bumping to get good SWR on 40 meters, but it does tune up nicely, with lower SWR and higher power out than the Hustler setup. Of course, moving up or down just a few kHz requires bumping the antenna up or down.

On 20 meters and higher, it’s a different story. The pre-set position provided by the controller is always close enough, and tuning the radio up or down a few kHz does not require changing the antenna setting. There is enough “natural” bandwidth at the higher frequencies to allow some roaming around within the SSB or CW portions of the band without retuning the antenna. This is exactly what I wanted, and I am very happy with the LT-HP for mobile operation.

It does take some time to change bands. Going from 40 meters to 20 meters requires almost a minute. Even so, this is faster than pulling off the road and swapping resonators.

Installation was easy. Tarheel includes a snap-together choke to keep the RF where it belongs. You have to figure out your own antenna mount, of course. I do have one complaint about the matching coil supplied with the antenna. The coil installs between the base of the antenna and the nearest ground, which would be a bolt on the antenna mount. Neither of the rings at either end of the coil is big enough to fit over the 3/8 inch stud. I was perplexed by the fact that they gave me a coil not designed to be installed on the antenna they made. It took me 45 minutes to find a 3/8 inch terminal, and five minutes to solder it on one end of the coil. As soon as I got the antenna installed, it worked fine the first time I tried it.

How well does it work? As I mentioned, the corner mounting location makes for a directional installation. Not only that, but I often gain an advantage by parking on sloping ground, so takeoff angle seems to be a factor. Although I can hear other stations without much regard to which way my vehicle is pointed, my outgoing signal is heavily influenced by how I park. This was the case with my Hustler setup, but seems to be more pronounced with the Tarheel. Typical of mobile installations, there are “mobile mystery” situations where I can’t hear somebody I believe I should be able to hear, or vice-versa. There are also those situations where I can barely make out a signal, and I get a 57 or 59 report back to me. Or vice-versa. The LT-HP seems to perform at least as well as the Hustler setup, and probably better. It’s certainly more versatile, and more flexible, allowing me to operate on pretty much any frequency I choose.

KE6IB Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the Tarheel 100HP onto my RV and could not be happier! I had an issue with the mobile mount because the back door on the RV would not clear the antenna so I sent it back with some new measurements and it was returned to me in less that a week and was perfect! These people are a pleasure to work with over the phone and are always there for you. The installation manual was well written and easy to follow thanks to all those photos which helps illiminate any guess work. This is my third screwdriver antenna and I find the Tarheel is the best I've ever experienced. The quality of their parts and attention to detail are remarkable.
I also installed the TuneMatic automatic tuner which is the ultimate complement to the Tarheel antennas. TuneMatic is a another Ist class product. The two companies seem to know each other well so it was very easy to corrordinate between them. I can recommend both products without any reservations. TJ Mackle KE6IB

W3EME Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile HF Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok fellow hams I've waited over a year to write this review and I have the Tarheel 100HP(High Power) on a Tarheel 1 1/4' rear-mounted reciever hitch on my 2003 VW Jetta Diesel car. Rig is a FT-857D and I use a Ameritron ALS500M mobile HF amp driven by a 100AH Gel Cel battery. I park in low garages with antenna set for 3.947MHZ with the 'Cap' hat on it (I don't need the whip but that works great too) and I get 5&9+ reports all the time on 10M-80M. I've been extremely happy with my rolling base station setup. I had one problem where the antenna wouldn't stay on frequency, I worked with Bob on tech support and it was decided I'd bring the antenna to Dayton last spring for them to look at it. Galen (the owner) personally inspected my antenna and determined the top thrust bearing had failed (they had a small run of failed bearings) and he replaced mine with a brand new antenna on the spot!! I have since not had any troubles with the antenna and I operate while driving every day. There are a lot of screwdriver antenna manufacturers out there but I feel what really counts is the tech support and customer service if you have problems and I give Tarheel a big '10' for service and quality. Be assured, this company is all about quality and customer service. Thanks for reading and no, I am not associated with the company in any way, just a satisfied mobile HF enthusiast.

VE2CYJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2015 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Super Antgenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did install a tarheel antenna 100 Hp as a base antenna with some radial on the roof of the condo. It works great. I already did 66 country in two years. I have great report with this antenna. I will use it with a ampli. This antenna is good for 1.5kw. Thoose antenna are great for restricted placex

DF2AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel M300 - Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up on my flat top roof in August 2011 at my new qth. No other antennas possible here. My radial-system consists of some squaremeters chicken-wire. Since I put up the antenna, i managed to work around 15.000QSOs into 240 DXCC across all bands. Even JA and PY on 80m. Best contact on 160m to EA8 (3150km). For me, this antenna works great! Good thing for restricted areas.