Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Tarheel Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tarheel Antennas
Tarheel Antennas Reviews: 200 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: Screwdriver Antennas,Stainless Steel mounts,Mobile and Base
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Tarheel Antennas.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2016 13:38 Send this review to a friend
200A-HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Tarheel 200A-HP for two reasons, one I had a 100A many years ago and had such great lucky with it and secondly a friend and fellow amateur, Ed has this model and I was very impressed with the results he got with it. After building a mount to position it on the drivers side rear corner, I set it up and barely got the thing installed and tuned up on 20 meters went back to JA and to my surprise he answered me. I've tried it on our local chat frequency on 80 metres and I had not issues what so ever with it. I haven't even bonded anything yet and the antenna is great. I will have to go over my F-150 and do some bonding but so far I haven't needed to do anything so far. I'm now waiting for my TuneMatic TM-1 as this controller work great with the Tarheel antennas and the Kenwood TS-480HX.
All three of these items go great together TS-480HX (200 watt mobile), the TuneMatic TM1 and Tarheel's 200A-HP. From what I've read these three units make an ideal mobile system. I'm very pleased with my Tarheel 200A and the Kenwood TS-480HX. I'll update after the TuneMatic shows up and I've had time to play with it.

VE2CYJ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2016 19:27 Send this review to a friend
100HP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Tarheel Antenna 100HP in june 2013 lately i found a problem on it. The bushing was breaking. I did phone the company and i explain the problem and i sent a pic of it to the company. They as me to bring it to the Dayton Hamvention and they would see what they would do about it. I gave them the antenna they told me to come back to the boot sunday before leaving. To my great surprise they gave me a new one free of charge. So i did bring a brand new one antenna home with another year of warranty. Thank Tarhell it is good to do buiseness with your company.

KC7QOP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2015 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Little Tarheel HP works fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the HP version of the Little Tarheel, which I assume works about the same as the LT II. The controller is an MFJ-1924 with the ten programmable pre-sets. After using the antenna for six months, I’m pretty happy with it. It’s mounted on the left-rear corner of my pickup truck, which means the way I park influences the signal reports I get. I use the longer 56 inch whip, and carry the stock whip as a spare for when (not “if”) I whack a low hanging tree too hard. By the way, I chose the left side of the vehicle to minimize contact with low branches.

The main reason I bought a screwdriver antenna was to get past the bandwidth problem I had with Hustler resonators. Going up or down a few kHz on 40 meters wasn’t an option with the Hustler, and I attached a tuner to gain more bandwidth, but that involved too much fiddling. The Tarheel solves the bandwidth problem by adjusting the length, obviously, but it also seems to have more “natural bandwidth on 20 meters and higher. As other reviewers mention, the antenna will not tune on 80 meters, even with the longer whip. The instruction manual claims 80 meter portable operation is possible with a 9 foot whip, but I have not tried it. In practical terms, I would consider this an antenna for 40 meters to 6 meters, although I have not tried it on 6 meters.

As you might expect, there is not much bandwidth on 40 meters, even with the longer whip. In fact, the bandwidth is so narrow on 40 that the pre-set position from the controller is often off by just enough to show a high SWR. It usually requires a little bumping to get good SWR on 40 meters, but it does tune up nicely, with lower SWR and higher power out than the Hustler setup. Of course, moving up or down just a few kHz requires bumping the antenna up or down.

On 20 meters and higher, it’s a different story. The pre-set position provided by the controller is always close enough, and tuning the radio up or down a few kHz does not require changing the antenna setting. There is enough “natural” bandwidth at the higher frequencies to allow some roaming around within the SSB or CW portions of the band without retuning the antenna. This is exactly what I wanted, and I am very happy with the LT-HP for mobile operation.

It does take some time to change bands. Going from 40 meters to 20 meters requires almost a minute. Even so, this is faster than pulling off the road and swapping resonators.

Installation was easy. Tarheel includes a snap-together choke to keep the RF where it belongs. You have to figure out your own antenna mount, of course. I do have one complaint about the matching coil supplied with the antenna. The coil installs between the base of the antenna and the nearest ground, which would be a bolt on the antenna mount. Neither of the rings at either end of the coil is big enough to fit over the 3/8 inch stud. I was perplexed by the fact that they gave me a coil not designed to be installed on the antenna they made. It took me 45 minutes to find a 3/8 inch terminal, and five minutes to solder it on one end of the coil. As soon as I got the antenna installed, it worked fine the first time I tried it.

How well does it work? As I mentioned, the corner mounting location makes for a directional installation. Not only that, but I often gain an advantage by parking on sloping ground, so takeoff angle seems to be a factor. Although I can hear other stations without much regard to which way my vehicle is pointed, my outgoing signal is heavily influenced by how I park. This was the case with my Hustler setup, but seems to be more pronounced with the Tarheel. Typical of mobile installations, there are “mobile mystery” situations where I can’t hear somebody I believe I should be able to hear, or vice-versa. There are also those situations where I can barely make out a signal, and I get a 57 or 59 report back to me. Or vice-versa. The LT-HP seems to perform at least as well as the Hustler setup, and probably better. It’s certainly more versatile, and more flexible, allowing me to operate on pretty much any frequency I choose.

KE6IB Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 08:16 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the Tarheel 100HP onto my RV and could not be happier! I had an issue with the mobile mount because the back door on the RV would not clear the antenna so I sent it back with some new measurements and it was returned to me in less that a week and was perfect! These people are a pleasure to work with over the phone and are always there for you. The installation manual was well written and easy to follow thanks to all those photos which helps illiminate any guess work. This is my third screwdriver antenna and I find the Tarheel is the best I've ever experienced. The quality of their parts and attention to detail are remarkable.
I also installed the TuneMatic automatic tuner which is the ultimate complement to the Tarheel antennas. TuneMatic is a another Ist class product. The two companies seem to know each other well so it was very easy to corrordinate between them. I can recommend both products without any reservations. TJ Mackle KE6IB

W3EME Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile HF Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok fellow hams I've waited over a year to write this review and I have the Tarheel 100HP(High Power) on a Tarheel 1 1/4' rear-mounted reciever hitch on my 2003 VW Jetta Diesel car. Rig is a FT-857D and I use a Ameritron ALS500M mobile HF amp driven by a 100AH Gel Cel battery. I park in low garages with antenna set for 3.947MHZ with the 'Cap' hat on it (I don't need the whip but that works great too) and I get 5&9+ reports all the time on 10M-80M. I've been extremely happy with my rolling base station setup. I had one problem where the antenna wouldn't stay on frequency, I worked with Bob on tech support and it was decided I'd bring the antenna to Dayton last spring for them to look at it. Galen (the owner) personally inspected my antenna and determined the top thrust bearing had failed (they had a small run of failed bearings) and he replaced mine with a brand new antenna on the spot!! I have since not had any troubles with the antenna and I operate while driving every day. There are a lot of screwdriver antenna manufacturers out there but I feel what really counts is the tech support and customer service if you have problems and I give Tarheel a big '10' for service and quality. Be assured, this company is all about quality and customer service. Thanks for reading and no, I am not associated with the company in any way, just a satisfied mobile HF enthusiast.

VE2CYJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2015 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Super Antgenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I did install a tarheel antenna 100 Hp as a base antenna with some radial on the roof of the condo. It works great. I already did 66 country in two years. I have great report with this antenna. I will use it with a ampli. This antenna is good for 1.5kw. Thoose antenna are great for restricted placex

DF2AJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2014 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel M300 - Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up on my flat top roof in August 2011 at my new qth. No other antennas possible here. My radial-system consists of some squaremeters chicken-wire. Since I put up the antenna, i managed to work around 15.000QSOs into 240 DXCC across all bands. Even JA and PY on 80m. Best contact on 160m to EA8 (3150km). For me, this antenna works great! Good thing for restricted areas.

WA6RKK Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Tar heel 200A-HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed on my 2012 Toyota Tundra, mounted on a steel plate I made off the left corner of the rear bumper. Whip cut down to 5 ft. and have many bonding straps on the pick-up. I live in N. Idaho and 1st contact was Panama on 17 with poor propagation. Do your home work, set the antenna up correctly. If u are having problems don't blame this antenna, it's your installation. I am very impressed with the build quality.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 20:50 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a TARHEEL II & love it.It kicks the ATAS 120A in the groin over & over again.The ATAS-120A is an excuse for a c=screwdriver antenna & was nothing but problems.The TARHEEL II just works where & when I want it to.I use it with an ICOM 7000 & an aftermarket screwdriver controller for one button control.It's almost as simple as operating my ICOM 756 PROII at home.Great antenna & I have had no issues with getting an answer from TARHEEL when I was setting up the antenna.Don't waste your money on that ATAS-120A when you can buy a much better & much better built antenna & not have a need to remove it after every rain that comes so you can empty the water out of itlike the ATAS-120A.That TARHEEL just works & works GREAT! {:>)

KE5AKG Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel 200A followup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a followup to my earlier review. I got the Scorpion Antennas cap hat, and it immediately cured all that was wrong with this antenna. After installation of the cap hat, I have flat SWR from 80-15m, and the touchy tuning issue of the shunt coil as well as the SWR changes with moisture have disappeared. The Scorpion cap hat is far,far,far more effective than the Tarheel cap hat. Now my antenna works perfectly. For 10/12m operation, I just remove the cap hat and replace it with a 3 ft whip. Takes just seconds with the quick disconnect.
I really have to thank K0BG and his outstanding website for the info on cap hats that helped me solve my issues.