Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Tarheel Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tarheel Antennas
Tarheel Antennas Reviews: 194 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: Screwdriver Antennas,Stainless Steel mounts,Mobile and Base
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Tarheel Antennas.

WA6RKK Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Tar heel 200A-HP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed on my 2012 Toyota Tundra, mounted on a steel plate I made off the left corner of the rear bumper. Whip cut down to 5 ft. and have many bonding straps on the pick-up. I live in N. Idaho and 1st contact was Panama on 17 with poor propagation. Do your home work, set the antenna up correctly. If u are having problems don't blame this antenna, it's your installation. I am very impressed with the build quality.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 20:50 Send this review to a friend
WORKS GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a TARHEEL II & love it.It kicks the ATAS 120A in the groin over & over again.The ATAS-120A is an excuse for a c=screwdriver antenna & was nothing but problems.The TARHEEL II just works where & when I want it to.I use it with an ICOM 7000 & an aftermarket screwdriver controller for one button control.It's almost as simple as operating my ICOM 756 PROII at home.Great antenna & I have had no issues with getting an answer from TARHEEL when I was setting up the antenna.Don't waste your money on that ATAS-120A when you can buy a much better & much better built antenna & not have a need to remove it after every rain that comes so you can empty the water out of itlike the ATAS-120A.That TARHEEL just works & works GREAT! {:>)

KE5AKG Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2014 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel 200A followup  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a followup to my earlier review. I got the Scorpion Antennas cap hat, and it immediately cured all that was wrong with this antenna. After installation of the cap hat, I have flat SWR from 80-15m, and the touchy tuning issue of the shunt coil as well as the SWR changes with moisture have disappeared. The Scorpion cap hat is far,far,far more effective than the Tarheel cap hat. Now my antenna works perfectly. For 10/12m operation, I just remove the cap hat and replace it with a 3 ft whip. Takes just seconds with the quick disconnect.
I really have to thank K0BG and his outstanding website for the info on cap hats that helped me solve my issues.

KD5NDU Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
the tarheel 100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had my 100 very long yet.
I started off with a 75meter mfj ham stick. And can tell big difference between the two on the 75 meters. when checking into the Mississippi net. with the mfj stick sometimes they could here me and some times they could. Now with the tarheel 100 in same place in the bed of the truck same grounding system. I been able to get though the the pal ups when they call for mobile stations. And be the first one they would hear. And fist contact on it was on 20 meters with a station in TX and I was in MS running 100 watts. And a 5 by 5 report. When the band was not doing very good. It looks like bluidet very good. And looks good on the truck.

KP4MLF Rating: 0/5 Jul 22, 2013 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Expensive and no support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After 2 weeks trying to put a model 100 to work i send it back for a refund and the company just refund me a 60% of my total purchase. A bad experience that i can't explain here by the reviews policy.

I have a better experience with the Little Tarheel but anyway dont have the results expected for a pricey antenna.

I Dont recommend this

K4MMZ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 14:27 Send this review to a friend
Tarheel Model 100 HP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mounted on an aluminun screen enclosure frame in a HOA. It is almost invisible and it works. The best part of my purchase was I got all the telephone help I needed from "Robert". At this point in time most other outfits help is done by e-mail or telephone prompts which is slow or ineffective. Tarheel really does it right!
73 Richard KK4F0A in S. Florida

KK4MC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid, High Quality Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live an in HOA antenna restricted neighborhood. One advantage I have is I back up to a forest preserve vs. having neighbors looking directly into my backyard. I installed a model 100A-HP as a ground mounted base with ground radials. I got the all black antenna option, with cap hat. The black blends in well with the forest preserve as the back ground. I had some trouble with getting 80 meter SWR below 2.0 at first, but with two extra long radials (beyond the 10 9' radials supplied with the ground radial kit), I've been able to get 80 meters SWR below 1.5. SWR is below 1.4 on all other bands and especially low on 40 meters (below 1.2) - all with no antenna tuner. I had to remove the shunt inductor completely to for the antenna to work in my particular configuration. Aside from the SWR, reactance jX has been adjustable to almost zero (+/- a 4 or 5 ohms). I used a Rig Expert Antenna Analyzer (a must these days) to take the guess work out of the install and adjustment. I'm running 1kW into the antenna. It performs great.

This is a well built and well designed antenna. I suspect it would work just as well in a mobile install (after all that is what it was designed for!!!), but likely would require the shunt inductor in a mobile install. Robert at Tarheel was great to work with, always responsive by both phone and email as I tried to trouble shoot my matching issues (every install presents it's own set of unique circumstances a ham must troubleshoot and resolve). He even offered to customize the shunt inductor for me - fortunately I ended up not needing it. While it's in a base configuration, I have a well built, high performing antenna that I could just as easily dismantle and install on my truck at a later date if desired.

I highly recommend this product not just for the excellent design and build quality but for the friendly responsive technical support I received as well.

K6NJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Model 75 works awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had several mobile antennas and the little tarheel is the best! It puts out a great signal. The model 75 I use works so well that if I can hear a station 10 to 80 meters I can work them. Very satisfied!

K7JQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2012 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Quality product, great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased model M200-HP to replace my ground-mounted High Sierra (no longer in production) HS-1800PRO screwdriver that was blown up by a direct lightning strike. So far, I'm very satisfied with its quality construction and performance. It's mounted 4" off the ground, with sixty 25 foot radials stapled to the ground. After cutting the whip and adjusting the base matching coil, The antenna maintains a less than 1.5:1 SWR across all frequencies from 10 through 80 meters, and performed to my satisfaction in the CQ WW CW contest. A few questions directed at Robert were answered by email and phone thoroughly and promptly. There are only three popular screwdriver companies left (Scorpion, Hi-Q, and Tarheel), and while the other two are also fine, quality made antennas, the Tarheel for its' price point (much less than the other two), in my opinion, is an excellent choice. Highly recommended for mobile or fixed location use.

M6GOM Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2012 14:46 Send this review to a friend
After 2 and a half years...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I first reviewed my Little Tarheel II over two and a half years ago in April 2010. I can't believe I've had it that long.

It is still working absolutely great. It has been on the car now all that time come rain or shine, has hit a tree twice a day every time I go out and has covered well over 40,000 miles, much of that at speeds of 70MPH or more.

Highlights have been working the Falkland Islands from the UK on 10m with 100W busting a pileup, working VK on 20m for a distance just over 10,000 miles, getting 5/9+10 reports to NYC on 15 and 20m and being able to work many different countries over 5 continents.

Definitely one of the best purchases I've made in amateur radio and I've not regretted it for one single day.