Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Tarheel Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Tarheel Antennas
Tarheel Antennas Reviews: 192 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $295.00
Description: Screwdriver Antennas,Stainless Steel mounts,Mobile and Base
More info: http://www.tarheelantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Tarheel Antennas.

KK4AH Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
100A-HP  Time owned: more than 12 months
A lot of good things are said about the Tarheel antennas all I can add is that they perform very well and are a good value for the price. It does take somewhat of a long time to go from 3.5 MHZ to 29.7 MHZ but that is a small price to pay for such a good performing ant. It is important to keep the ground strap as wide and short as possible to get a low swr. I should have bought the longer Model 200A-HP to get the top of the antenna above my van but I have worked many DX pileups with 100 watts and it still matches on all the bands with 1.8 or better. I bought the offset Tarheel Mount MT 3 OS and it is built like a tank. If you are only going to run 250 watts or less get the Model 400A it goes from 1.7 to 28 MHZ. They are all great HF Mobile antennas and I would buy another one in a second. The only downside of this antenna is that it does not have much gain but what HF vertical does. Totally satisfied.

NX7DX Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2012 00:31 Send this review to a friend
nx7dx  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi all I have tarhell for about 6 years and hundres of miles on wwa. alot snow raing ice and you name it.I never have a provlems .run 75 mtr dx. 40mtr 20mtr verfoot.and I doit good. with a amplifier my baby will smoke RF around the world geting more dx station, ps FOR NY4DX DE NX7DX,, LET DO A MOBIL ANTENNA SHOOTOUT. TARHELL/SCORPIO. HIHI

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here in Ohio, winters are sometimes brutal, so I switch between the Little Tarheel II (mounted high on the SUV in winter) and the Tarheel 100HP (regular trailer hitch mount in summer). Both have held up well for over 5 years of service. I've used the manual switch and currently the Turbo-Tuner for the Icom IC-7000 in the car. No matter what the weather, these guys have always performed quickly, quietly, efficiently, and always found the minimum SWR and been right there whenever I've needed them. I'm still amazed by the Little Tarheel II, which tunes from 75-6 meters with a 45 inch whip. I can check into 40 meters ECARS and MIDCARS any morning on the daily commute. With any antenna, be sure that they are WELL grounded to the vehicle body, and you'll do just fine. These screwdriver antennas have been one of the very best investments of a ham career that's spanned over 45 years. Tried the High Sierras first, but found that they were poorly made and wouldn't hold up over the winters. Maybe that's why they're no longer made.

KA6PSD Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 14:01 Send this review to a friend
3 years & counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Model 100A-HP and decided to mount it on the tower. It has worked flawlessly till I had to take it down due to hail damage, NOT the antenna but the roof and air conditioner. The Tarheel still looks as good as the day I bought it, and preforms the same. An amazing anteena to take that brutal of a beating and still working like day one. You can see install photo's of it with my ATV antennas on thier website. Well the tower had a tweak in it and it was parted with and the tarheel is now on a roof mount tower, I will be sending Cindy the new photos soon.Well constucted, can take a serious beating and still preforms super well. I also got thier antenna controller with memory and the top hat atachment. I actually was able to tune some of the 160 meter band with a little fussing around. I love mine an simply amazed how it has hand;ed the hot weather here in Arizona. I keep testing and using my Tarheel for another 20 years and report back with details. Yes I know it will go that far ! Simply the best buy for your hard earned dollars !

NY4DX Rating: 3/5 Sep 21, 2011 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Not that Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine is a Model 200. The antenna is painted and the paint bubbles up due to improper preparation before painting along the rear spline. The antenna has a cheap feel to it when you hold it. You can twist the antenna to pieces with little effort.

If you need a power extension plug...make it yourself, If you need a longer whip, check Radio Shack first...1/2 price. These two items can be found much cheaper than buying them from Tarheel.

If you mount the unit on a bumper in the Northeast, the salt will eat the power cord and the coil on the antenna mount.

Check out the Scorpion Antenna if you can afford it. All Stainless Steel construction.

KC6F Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2011 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Built like an M1 Abrams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is built like an M1 Abrams tank. Its got solid, welded stainless steel mounting hardware. I stuck it in a trailer hitch on the back of my Honda Civic and grounded it to the frame with 1" grounding braid. Then I adjusted the 80M matching coil, and achieved a 1:1 match on all bands. Works well with my Turbo Tuner, in addition.

Can't ask for any more. Shipping was also fast and well packed.

VE6WR Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2011 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Very hardy antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my tarheel 200A, which I purchased used, mounted in my trailer mount at the back of my Jeep Cherokee for just over a year. Here in Calgary it easily gets to -40 degrees, as it did for about 3 weeks this past winter. Not even a hiccup in this antenna. Continued to work splendidly, motor went up and down like it should, even in that cold. Couldn't ask for a better mobile antenna. I run my TS-480SAT into it.

K9RJO Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2011 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for a fixed space ground mounted install.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use a Tarheel 200 ground mounted as a base station antenna. My normal configuration is a 9 foot whip and a capacity hat which allows coverage of 80 to 17 meters. Performance is almost unbelievable and way beyond expectations. A key factor if you are going to use this antenna ground mounted is to lay down as many radials as you can. I have 44 radials in the ground approximately 16 feet long. They do not have to be resonant. Keep adding radials until you get the characteristic impedance as measured with an antenna analyzer as close to 36 ohms as you can. Don't fret about the swr. It will be slightly less than 1.4 to 1. Being in a partial antenna restricted community the antenna is mounted in the back of the house and close to it. This is the only way to get it approved. You can see a picture of my installation under my call K9RJO at qrz.com. Running 400 watts with this antenna I get consistent reports of 10 and 20 over 9 as well as loudest signal on the band.

G0JLX Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2011 05:24 Send this review to a friend
400A - Fantastic !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a Tarheel 400A and after a bit of a search for suitable U bolts to mount it to the Land Rover external roll cage (being a bit of monster with the whip & all), got it all fitted and took it out for a test.

One neat trick if like me you have the main body mounted quite high up and can't easily reach the top to screw the whip in: place a couple of nylon type cable ties tightly round the top extremity of the whip and then attach a nylon cord above the cable ties, and use the nylon cord as a tie-down a-la-military style. Works a treat and doesn't affect the antenna tuning and can be released and allowed to dangle for normal use.

Took the landy out to my favorite test site and ran out two 35' grounding radials from the support bracket - she tuned up on 80m beautifully and my first QSO was with a station on the other side of the country who gave me a solid 59. Not bad for a FT-857 running 100W mobile.

Next QSO was just down the road about 30 miles away, and I guess that was groundwave. 48 from him.

The manual motorised drive works a treat, with the antenna tuning across 160-10m HF without problem.

So 10/10 from me on this one so far. I'll update this review later when I've had it out on Salisbury Plain as well.

One word of caution - it's big (tall), especially with the whip fitted on top regardless if it's tied down a bit or not. I am close to the 4m upper limit when the whip is tied down, so watch out for those overhead obstructions !

Mechanically, I think the sideways mounting of the base mount which holds the long tuning tube section of the antenna in place is held together with a couple of fairly small nuts & bolts, so maybe I'll fix a secondary support in the form of a hefty cable tie arrangement ? I am sure this would be a benefit - just in case something mechanical on the basic support frame gave way ?

73 de Andy,
GJLX

W2WP Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2011 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Model 40-HP * Two Thumbs up  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the past I did a lot of stationary HF with Hamsticks. They worked pretty damn good for what I was doing but man what a PITA needing to constantly changing them from Band to Band. Well I purchaed the Model 40 Deluxe Package and mounted on the corner of my 2004 Tacoma truck bed. I wasn't expecting to much to tell you the truth. I was sure i was going to miss the great ground plane of the top of my roof. Not counting running the wiring to the back seat of the truck, I was up and running within 1/2 hour! Using the TurboTuner, which BTW also works flawlessly, I could not beleive how well I was hearing stations but to my surprise how great my signal reports were coming back. The first 5 stations I worked were 2 Italy, 2 Russia, and Oman. All 5/8 or 5/9 from New Jersey with 100 watts from my IC-7000 (AND THE BAND WAS TERRIBLE). The 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, and 20m Bands all tune perfectly to a SWR of 1:1. 40m took 5 minutes to get to 1:2.

What more can you ask for?