Reviews Categories | Voice Keyers | W9XT Contest Card Help

Reviews Summary for W9XT Contest Card
W9XT Contest Card Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $110 kit $150 assembled
Description: ISA card for PCs
More info: http://www.qth.com/w9xt/

You can write your own review of the W9XT Contest Card.

K8EO Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2004 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Save Your Voice  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been a long time since anyone reviewed this product, so it's time for a new one.
I have had this card for a long time, and it works great. I only use it once a year for Sweepstakes, but it has never let me down. Interfaces directly with NA software, others too. Being built into the PC, it eliminates the need for an extra piece of "loose equipment" setting on the table, especially important at contest time. (too much equipment on the table, and your liable to spill an 807 on it).
Initially I did have a minor problem with audio level, but the Company provided IMMEDIATE help with the issue. Great service. I wish everyone was like this.

I would not buy the optional interface cable, as I think it's a little over priced. Also it lacks a wire for the 8 volt line from the rig, that Icom mics need, so I had to add this extra wire to the assembly myself and it looks a little hokey. If your not using an Icom mic I dont think it is an issue. When questioning this I was told that they don't reccommend Icom mics for use with this card. Well maybe not, but if you have an Icom rig you most likely have an Icom mike, too.

Putting the cable issue aside, this is still an excellent product.

WM5R Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2000 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my preferred voice keyer for phone contesting. I've swapped one in and out of computers hundreds of times without failure. W9XT offers quick customer support, and the card works very well with TR Log.

K0SR Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2000 07:47 Send this review to a friend
W9XT Contest Card  Time owned: unknown months
I've been using a W9XT card for 3 years now. Initially I had a problem with the CW keying relay. At the time I was using a TS-830S (remember grid-block keying ?) and the voltage levels being switched were high enough to weld the relay contacts together. I replaced the relay with a Magnecraft model (available from Digi-key) that had a better rating and haven't had any problems since. If your rig uses positive low voltage keying, there shouldn't be any problem. After moving the card to my "new" computer, a 100 Mhz Micron, I seem to lose the voice memories when I shut the PC off. I don't consider this a problem as it is very easy to re-program the card, and 90 percent of my operating is CW.

K4NR Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2000 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product and Support  Time owned: unknown months
I finally ordered my W9XT card a week before a contest. Gary sent it to me overnight express. I quickly soldered up the cables and was off. Had really bad audio. Gary sent me his personal phone number via email and spend several hours on the phone working towards a solution. The problem was a ground loop in my shack rather than the W9XT card. I've used it for 2 years without any problems other than the ground loop. I wired cables that allow me to use my Heil Pro headset and the original Kenwood adaptor--just in case I want to take the card out of the loop (never needed or wanted to do that). Works great in contests and even allows me to work DX without bothering the family. The bottom line--first class product and support. Thanks Gary!

73 de Tom, K4NR

K4ISV Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 1999 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product .... exceptional support!  Time owned: unknown months
After using other voice keyers ( DVK-100, etc) for many years I decided to try a W9XT device.
WOW-- Just what I needed... so I got a few more( the VP5B contest station as well as 5 more for the K4ISV setup).

Bottom line: 1) they work great-- and clear the desk... 2) buy them wired and tested by W9XT ( I tried to save a buck and build a few myself and lost time doing so) 3) buy the cables from W9XT, they are high quality and will not give you RFI.

ON SUPPORT: I screwed one board up...Gary fixed it...returned it Priority Mail...NO CHARGE!!!!

I highly reccommend this product... but if you live on the East Coast I hope you dont buy one...
you got enough advantage without the W9XT card!

Anonymous Rating: 3/5 Oct 16, 1999 03:35 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Money but poor documentation  Time owned: unknown months
The card is well made, despite some jumpers on the PCB which apparently correct errors. Flawless operation but the instruction manual had more than half the pages missing. I downloaded it from the home page but the schematics aren't included. Finally copied the instruction book from a friend of mine who bought one too. Audio is just "ok". There is a noticeable difference in live audio and audio on playback. Probably due to low digital sampling rate or odd choices for coupling capacitors. I recommend spending the $40 and buying the cable kit. Even it is not plug 'n play. However, I spent most of a day wiring up a DB-25 and made a wiring error. W9XT makes too many assumptions in the instruction manual. He needs to go back and get some general class hams who have minimal computer experience and try this out on them. He will see that the instruction book starts off at square 7 when it should start at square 1. Too bad CT does not support the "esc" function to kill a message after it starts. Not a fatal flaw and probably something only the software guys can fix. N6TR software does support the "esc" function, allowing a message to be stopped in case you hit the wrong key. This is a nice unit and the best thing on the market. I say this having devoted long hours to cleaning up an MJF-432, developing a computer interface for it and even writing an article about it which was published in DX Mag.
W0YR