Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch
MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch Reviews: 53 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $64.95
Description: Four position switch with additional position for ground.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1704

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch.

N4UE Rating: 2/5 Oct 25, 2016 17:12 Send this review to a friend
One more 'wart'  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a bunch of these switches. Although I've had pretty good luck with other MFJ stuff, I STILL consider these switches 'semi kits'
I did some updating in the shack today and installed another 1704. I noticed the 'com' coax connector was not flush with the body. Removed the cover and the reason was clear....
The wire from the center of the coax connector was overly long and touching the casting.
The fix was simple, unsolder the wire, shorten the connector center pin and resolder a new piece of wire.

Like I said before, HOW can anyone screw up something so simple?
Semi-kit.

ron
N4UE

VK6HP Rating: 1/5 Aug 28, 2016 02:49 Send this review to a friend
Be very careful with this switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I planned to use this switch as part of a test setup in which several transceivers were switched to one load. Before I did this, I checked carefully that the coax switch involved was up to the job from isolation (incl. auto input grounding) and other perspectives. While a number of my other switches were fine, this MFJ switch held a nasty surprise. Used carefully it may have been OK but it was possible to get a reasonable 'feel' detent between positions 1 and 2, and a less reasonable intermediate feel between positions 3 and 4. In either if these positions the respective inputs are BOTH connected to the output, and to each other. This would have been disastrous in my test application.

Taking the switch apart revealed the problem. There is a 'floating' PCB which is spring loaded downwards against metal fingers which are forced upwards by the plastic wiper control. The whole assembly is not really big enough and the wiper can push two contacts at a time into contacting the PCB. Very careful bending of the contacts and adjustment of the springs loading the PCB have helped, but I would not use the switch in any critical application.

The PCB assembly looks pretty cheap and nasty, and I have no idea how long the whole thing will last. I'd give this product a miss and spend the extra dollars on a better product.

LA9DAA Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2015 10:46 Send this review to a friend
No problems with it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Own 3 of these. Used With amps Expert 2K-FA and OM3500 ++ Operates HF+6m Never given me a problem. Best MFJ product owned

N4UE Rating: 3/5 Oct 8, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
50/50  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have several of these switches. Mine that are in use are fine. I just bought 2 from the ePay place. One was fine. Looking at the other, the SO-239 were very crooked AND loose.
Took the back off and it appears that the soldering was done BEFORE the setscrews were tight....
So after some resoldering and tightening, the switch was OK. Checking the 'good' switch, all the screws were tight.
How can someone screw up something SO simple???
A previous poster was correct, the screws for the connectors do not contact a good quality connector, so they will probably loosen up. Overtightning will ruin the connector.
So, consider this another MFJ "semi-kit".....
ron
N4UE

VK3DGN Rating: 3/5 Jun 6, 2013 19:02 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine - Poor QC  Time owned: more than 12 months
This switch works fine (now). I opened it up after reading the reviews and discovered the solder connection to one position wasn't making contact - remelted to fix. I don't have an amp so no experience there. I'd urge users to remove the back plate and inspect before use.

N8YN Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2012 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an Alpha-Delta 4 position switch and could not keep the cheap knob on it....tried gluing it and it still broke loose....finally just threw it in the drawer and bought the MFJ-1704-4 and have not had any problems with it at all.....I would buy another one....

K2WO Rating: 0/5 Oct 20, 2012 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Pure JUNK!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't waste your precious time or money on this unadulterated piece of junk. It "may" start off ok, but after a little use, it will literally self-destruct. The allen screws that hold the SO-239s in place (!) will loosen and soon, the entire switch becomes inoperable. Oh, you can tighten them, but nothing will stop them from loosening again. Eventually, the threads in the casting wear out and there is only ONE solution.....throw the entire switch in the garbage can. Get an Alpha Delta 4B in the first place and you can save yourself A LOT of aggravation.

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like contesting and dxing. I work cw, phone, rtty, digital soundcard, you name it.

I have a 4 position and a 2 position switch.

Had trouble once while running WPX phone contest with the 4 position at around the 900th contact at full legal limit.

I diagnosed it to be a bad connection. I had melted the solder inside. Wrote MFJ and they replied within 24 hrs and sent out the connector I needed without any questions. Now shes back online and working great again. CANT ASK FOR MORE THAN THAT!!

Oh yeah, I also change the oil in my truck, like I tighten my connectors and check for bad coaxes, rusty tower parts, ect from time to time, doesnt mean they are bad, just means I am lazy if I dont.

Bob AD5VJ

N5XTR Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2012 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Switches  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these mounted on the shack wall. One for rigs and one for antennas. I like the fact that they have a ground position. No problems at all from either of them. These were given to me by an elmer when he went QRT. He used them for VHF/UHF antennas, I use them for my HF and 6m antennas.

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2011 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Mine Works well !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can appreciate how some reviewers may have had problems. I can honestly say mine works fine. at 600 - 800 Watts it seems to be OK. I opened up the back and noted that all the solder connections are just fine, and the switch moves smoothly. I do not run beyond 160-6M bands. So how it performs on 2M and above I cannot say.