Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch
MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch Reviews: 50 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $64.95
Description: Four position switch with additional position for ground.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1704

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1704 4 Position Switch.

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Works Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have never had a problem with this switch. I have run 1500W through it many times without failure.

N4QT Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2010 16:41 Send this review to a friend
No Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used both two and four position MFJ switches at both full and medium power. No failures after over 15 years of use.

WASKG5OY Rating: 0/5 Dec 26, 2009 08:47 Send this review to a friend
MFJ is an embarassment to Made in USA label  Time owned: more than 12 months

As others have noted the connectors issues this
unit has is the reason I"m giving it a ZERO.
I'd only consider using this switch for a receive only application due to the connectors coming loose. For a Xmiter your asking for
trouble.

I purchased this unit sometime in the late 80's as I best recollect and at the time was happy with it until one day I discovered the input connector was loose.
I opened the back of the unit and saw that there was no practical way to fix the issue as the connectors are more or less
stamped into the cast frame with the idea in mind that friction will hold them in place.
Other than that the switch does work and does what is needed. However the connector being loose is so critical to reliable and SAFE operation those facts can not make up for a better score.

Long story short, I just got back into the radio scene this past month or so and when I pulled this item from my storage bin it went straight to the trash bin.

I have since purchased a Alpha Delta 3 way and plan to use that when I need it.

All in all I've had perhaps 6 items I've owned from MFJ over the years (back in 80's and early 90's when I was active last) and in each case I can say all the items appear to be made with very
little concern to quality. Bad solder joints, poor rivet jobs, meters that fall out due to some cheap brand of super glue used .

Nuff said. I have more money now so buying anything MFJ this time around will just be out of the question.

KA4UPI Rating: 2/5 Dec 14, 2009 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this switch new about a month ago. The quality of this switch is poor at best. I am having problems with getting the switch to select the proper contact with severe drift and grinding of the unit. I removed the back cover to inspect it for any loose or bad solders that is well know with MFJ products. There is just so much "slop" in the switching mechanism due to poor design and construction that I don't think it will ever properly work. Once again I should have read the reviews before purchasing. I intend to discontinue this one and purchase one from from Alpha-Delpha like I should have done in the first place.

PA0RCL Rating: 1/5 Dec 14, 2008 06:45 Send this review to a friend
Just a bad switch  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had Daiwa coax switches before, but decided to change to MFJ. Only a few weeks after I installed this 4-position switch, two of the switch positions showed a bad contact. I run 100 Watts max, only a fraction of rated power for this switch. I'm only giving it a one because, at the moment, I still have two switch positions left.

KC2BYV Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2008 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Can't complain (yet)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the only piece of gear I bought without checking the eHam reviews, and though they are more awful than good, I have yet to have a problem with the switch.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself, but so far so good.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2007 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of the four position (plus ground) and two of the two position switches in service since 2001. They've held up fine for me running near legal limit on HF and 100 watts on 6 & 2. It would appear that quality control is an issue. I'd be wary.

W9ZX Rating: 1/5 Dec 23, 2007 15:27 Send this review to a friend
save your money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these switches and I was generous and gave it a 1. They are poorly made and way over priced. If they cost $10 I wouldn't expect so much. If you need a switch skip this one and try someone else's.

W5ONV Rating: 2/5 Dec 5, 2007 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Needs Help  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these and right out of the box there was a problem. The coax connectors were loose and would spin around as you tighten the PL-259's. I tightened them all and sold it 2 days later,I didn't trust it at all on my radios.

YEPSURE Rating: 0/5 Dec 4, 2007 20:59 Send this review to a friend
POS, Plain & Simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
Any product will have its share of units that will have failures or various issues that will cause people to like or dislike it. I can only report my particular findings with this product, which have been extremely POOR.

I purchased my switch brand new and had problems right out of the box. One of the SO-239 connectors were loose and the internal switching mechanism wasn’t even making contact on one of the poles. After opening the switch case I discovered the problem, corrected both issues and put it back into service for further testing. After a short period of time the other SO-239 connector came loose.

The lack of workmanship of this product caused me to remove the unit from service where it now resides at the bottom of a junk drawer. Although this product currently holds a rating somewhere in the ‘2’ vicinity there are still those who state this is a great device. It is obvious there are units out there that are acceptable, however, the vast majority of those units being reviewed here are highly unfavorable and do not recommend this product.

I too cannot recommend such a poor device and highly recommend investing in a ‘REAL’ switch unless you don’t mind trusting this POS to the thousands of dollars you have invested in your radio gear.