Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | YPLOG by VE6YP Help

Reviews Summary for YPLOG by VE6YP
YPLOG by VE6YP Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Radio Control and Logging - Shareware de Tony, VE6YP
More info: http://members.shaw.ca/ve6yp

You can write your own review of the YPLOG by VE6YP.

N1FDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2008 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Still the best for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this program from its very first versions thru many updates until there were no more due to personal reasons of the author. I've have tried numerous other logging and rig control programs and can't seem to find anything that works as well as YPLog for me. Specially for the ability to select 3 controllable radios with the click of a mouse, DX cluster, voice & CW keyer and mates with Hamscope another one my favorites.
Thanks to hams who have been providing some updates...

AB7R Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Great looking program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't shoot me for doing this when I don't have the program.

I have been looking for a single program with general logging with award tracking, telnet, excellent contest implementation, rig support and the various digital modes. Have yet to find it, till I ran across this program through eham.

I looked at their Yahoo archieves with explanations as to why nothing has been done with this program for over a year. And they are understandable.

But how do you expect to bring in new registered users when there is apparently no support? What do you do when contests and rules change or are added?

The program looks so nice I am almost ready to go for it.... but just can't seem to make the jump with the understanding that if I have problems, my inquiries will not be answered except by the very usefull user group.

So the search continues I guess.

Greg
AB7R

N7OR Rating: 0/5 Dec 6, 2003 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Status Quo  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After more than 2 years, nothing has changed.

G3VGR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 19:47 Send this review to a friend
Like a Swiss Army Knife  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an excellent Windows logging program. I especially like the rig control, Telnet DX Clusters interface and the novel audio derived CW keyer. The program hasn't replaced TRLog yet for me for contests (the bandmap functionality isn't the same), but, like TRLog, it's also highly configurable and can be tailored exactly for the user's preferences. I've set the keyboard mapping to use the same keystrokes as TR, so find no problem switching between programs. The Award tracking functionality is good and country recognition with the OK1RR country files is excellent. I've used YPLog with Windows98/2000/XP and it's perfectly stable on all platforms. The product is well supported via the YPLog reflector & the author, VE6YP is very prompt to act on any reported bugs or quirks. Tony is also very receptive to requests for enhancements. It works great "out of the box", but time spent learning the powerful features is well rewarded. Nowadays, I find that I load YPLog before firing up the rig. It commands centre place in the station and has become totally indispendable. If you want a powerful & versatile Windows logging program, look no further. At $50, it's a steal.

NW7US Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2002 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Usable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Overall, this program is very useful. I use this more than most others for control of my Icom IC-706MKIIG. I have not used the sound card or CW interface features - but I do use the Frequency List feature ALL the time. As a matter of fact, I do a lot of SWLing - and use the Frequency List feature to quickly jump from station to station, monitoring HF. I've even created DOWNLOADable .frq files for use with YPLog so that I can have complete lists of frequencies that I wish to monitor. These can be created by the reader by going to http://hfradio.org/english/ (and other links are included there).

There are a couple of things I would like to see added, but they are not major omissions. Just "nice bells and whistles" - so I rate the program as "good". Almost great.

I recommend that you take a look at the program.

NO9E Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2002 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Good for contests and general logging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for one package that did contests and regular logging, supports my favorite contests (WAE and SP-DX), worked with my home-made interface for TS-850, and was reasonably priced.

YPLOG fit the bill. It had a number of packet clusters programmed, inluding one in my area, and selecting a new entry was just a double-key stroke. One key contesting worked smoothly. One initial disappointment was keying via the sound card although the interface was in fact simple and cheap to make, and also RF proof. Initially, the sound keying worked poorly at high speeds but by mistake it was set up for practice and keying (rise and decay >0).

The sound card CW rescued me from a disaster as my new Windows 2000 computer had trouble with the LPT1 CW interface despite many updates and fixes.

I had many initial questions being impatient to read the extensive help system, and VE6YP answered them almost right away. In the end, whatever feature I wanted, it seemed to be in. One of the features that I did not try yet is voice keying via the sound card.

VE6YP seems to add new features to YPLOG on a regular basis. For instance the LPT1 CW interface is now supported.

M5KVK Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2001 13:26 Send this review to a friend
VG, but doesn't cope with Nets  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After playing with many of the others, I've decided to take this one further.
It's rig control is very good, and I like the UI a lot, nice and simple.
One thing I can't get it to do is to permit nets to be logged. I often take part in multi-station nets and need to have multiple log records open simultaneously. I can't get YPLOG to do this, am I missing something?
Gareth

KD9FT Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2001 12:23 Send this review to a friend
Exactly what its advertised to be -- an more  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I LOVE YPLOG, I'm still learning all the capabilities.

I've packed WriteLog away and I just bought it 2 weeks before I bought YPLOG. I thought WL would be a better "contest" log and I would use YPLOG for Day to Day logging and Digital through the interfacing you have with HamScope....

Well, YPLOG is a better general log, a better "digital" log, a better DX log and now I find its a better "contest" log.....

Another thing, Tony allows you to download a workable copy of YPLOG with several features disabled... to get your feet wet. Its great but the $50.00 cost for the full blown version is more than worth it. Its unbelievable what this software will do. So my WriteLog and LOgic V software is archived. I've found something MUCH BETTER.
Mike KK8WV

SM0BVG Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2001 17:23 Send this review to a friend
good program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yp-logging makes it easy to control my radio

W4BQF Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2000 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive in it's completeness.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
PSK31-CW-Contest Program-Cluster Program-Greyline indicator-Logging-QSO tracker-Label printing-Works with Icom/Ten-Tec/Yaesu/Kenwood rigs!! To my knowledge, the first Windows program that truely produces CW, up to 100wpm, holding the ratio and weight correct. Contesting program has CQ'ing mode and S&P mode - really put's the fun back into contesting again! Almost everything is customizable for the contest mode. Smooth handling of rig-to-PC interface; read-out of main frequency(actively); A&B VFO's, filter and mode settings. Can configure your rigs memory channel settings. Requires your PC's sound card for CW generation and for SSB contest files. Handled my DXbase2K imported file with no problems. A real 'sleeper' Windows program.