Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Junker D.G.B.M. Help

Reviews Summary for Junker D.G.B.M.
Junker D.G.B.M. Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $185
Description: The Junker "Morsetaste" (German for Morse Key), with its all enveloping cover, it must be said, is not the most attractive instrument. It is a solid, functional instrument, it is not covered with unnecessary gadgets and it sports no giant, shiny logo.

More info: http://home.earthlink.net/~g4czr

You can write your own review of the Junker D.G.B.M..

N5GKV Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
superb straight key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used my elmers Junker back about 1980 and went on to buy and use all sorts of keys ---- even a very expensive GHD GT502MIL Straight Key. I was looking at ebay one day and found a guy in Argentina who had a case of "NEW" ones. I bid very low money but wound up winning one of them with my lowly bid? I AM ONE HAPPY little ham... My family can sell it off when I become a SK. Yes, its that good... I do wish it had a "Begali" style navy knob on it. THAT would make its absolutely perfect...

W4RAR Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Best key I've found  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my eye on one of these for quite awhile now but never pulled the trigger due to the premium price looked on Ebay got it for 125.00 as a outright purchase others were going for 150 and up. wasn't expecting much thinking it must be pretty rough looking but when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised it looks almost like new. Then I plugged it in and started sending WOW!I never considered myself as having a great fist but this thing seems like it takes control and helps you along the way. I never thought that something as simple as two contacts going together on a arm with some spring could be improved but the Junker did it.Others have noted the German engineering I agree the angle of the arm and precise adjustments are what make it such a joy to operate. If you can find one buy it.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2015 18:28 Send this review to a friend
super  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Another key that is superb.Smooth as silk.Great feel and will last forever.Love it!

K7RNO Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Über precision!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(Correction of my previous review regarding gaps)

I cannot add much more than has already been said, but I can add some. Mine is the navy gray version with click stop on the gap adjust.

Get this: it is designed with so much precision in mind that each click of that thumb wheel represents (drumroll) 0.01mm increase/decrease in gap! That wheel has a stop (removable), and my sample has an effective gap range of 0.27 to 0 mm. After removing the stop, larger gaps would be possible. I am using it at 0.1 mm gap, which gives it an effective travel of 0.5mm at the center of the knob.

The spring adjust thumb wheel is not linear. Weight appears to increase unproportionally with turning it clockwise. The Germans need to go back to the drawing board on that one!

Still, at a usable range (for me), I get 175g increase out of one full rotation. I am using it at 100g weight at the knob.

My sample has the coil plus a resistor and a cap inside. The navy must have been more concerned with sparks than the army was, if the green versions of this key don't have those guts (which I don't know).

All that said, I got my sample at ebay.de. They come up every week and sell between some 20 and 50 euros, depending on how many hot bidders there are. The problem is to find a seller who is willing to ship to the US (if that is where you are). Ask them upfront, before you bid, and expect around €18 for shipping with DHL (at current pricing).

Now I have to disclose that I have known these keys since the late '60s when I joined the German navy for four years. They are also the only key I know, so I cannot compare. However, I can say that I never came across a specimen that didn't work or that was not feeling as precise as all the others and as the one I have again today.

German engineering, what else can I say ;)

PA2DW Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 06:13 Send this review to a friend
German masterpiece  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have passed my radio-amateur examination on such key in 1978 and have owned one ever since. Mine has the click-adjustment for the gap, which is by far to be preferred over the later "rubber ring".
I have some very fine other keys, like a Marconi 365D and the famous Swedish key. But the Junker is the one I keep coming back to.
Grab one if you can. They sell for 30-50 €€

VY 73, Dick PA2DW

AA2SM Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 16:43 Send this review to a friend
A Fantastic smooth key  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a fantastic key. I collect telegraph keys and have some very expensive straight keys. I find this key to be one of the very best I own. Purchased mine from Morse Express who no longer carries them. A great feel to this key. Had mine for a few years now and always enjoy using it. Read up on them on Morse express. It is amazing how they are constructed. Treat yourself to great instrument if you can find one. You wont be sorry

M3ZVI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2012 01:42 Send this review to a friend
A FANTASTIC KEY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been searching for one of these keys since I became a CW op and last week I bought one from a well known auction website.

The steel cover was a bit beat up (of course, it is a WW2 era key so you can't expect factory sealed condition) but saying that, the key works very smoothly and has a clean action and feel to it....so it may as well have come straight out the factory.

Anyway this straight key will be on my bench for many years to come!

When I told a couple of my friends about it they asked if I could get them one each as well and now due to a lot of luck they now have one each and I have another one for dx field events.

If you want an amazing straight key that is built like a tank, that feels good to use everyday and will bring a smile to the ham who owns it everytime they walk in the shack then two words 'A Junker!'.

73 de Frank M3ZVI dit dit.

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Not much to add .... a near perfect key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 2 years ago from Morse Express . It came in a sealed bag with documentation , in fact it looked to be unissued in the military olive green color . Unfortunately it looks like the supply of the nice refurbished ones has dried up , BUT , if you like using a straight key on CW and can find one of these , don't hesitate ! Some say these are ugly , I dont think so , functional is more the term ... and once you use one you wont settle for less . Tough unit , yet a wonderful light , crisp , solid action . I know there are other nice keys out there , but I dont see how any of them can out perform a Junker .

N7BDY
Bob

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2010 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great straight key  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is THE straight key to have in your shack. Solidly built, rugged yet made like a precision instrument. Mine was used at marine radio station Sydney Radio. A keeper for sure.

2W0NNN Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2010 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great key, built to be soldier-proof yet a precision instrument, finely adjustable (with repeatable adjustment)... can't fault it.