Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Junker D.G.B.M. Help

Reviews Summary for Junker D.G.B.M.
Junker D.G.B.M. Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $185
Description: The Junker "Morsetaste" (German for Morse Key), with its all enveloping cover, it must be said, is not the most attractive instrument. It is a solid, functional instrument, it is not covered with unnecessary gadgets and it sports no giant, shiny logo.

More info: http://home.earthlink.net/~g4czr

You can write your own review of the Junker D.G.B.M..

K7RNO Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Über precision!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(Correction of my previous review regarding gaps)

I cannot add much more than has already been said, but I can add some. Mine is the navy gray version with click stop on the gap adjust.

Get this: it is designed with so much precision in mind that each click of that thumb wheel represents (drumroll) 0.01mm increase/decrease in gap! That wheel has a stop (removable), and my sample has an effective gap range of 0.27 to 0 mm. After removing the stop, larger gaps would be possible. I am using it at 0.1 mm gap, which gives it an effective travel of 0.5mm at the center of the knob.

The spring adjust thumb wheel is not linear. Weight appears to increase unproportionally with turning it clockwise. The Germans need to go back to the drawing board on that one!

Still, at a usable range (for me), I get 175g increase out of one full rotation. I am using it at 100g weight at the knob.

My sample has the coil plus a resistor and a cap inside. The navy must have been more concerned with sparks than the army was, if the green versions of this key don't have those guts (which I don't know).

All that said, I got my sample at ebay.de. They come up every week and sell between some 20 and 50 euros, depending on how many hot bidders there are. The problem is to find a seller who is willing to ship to the US (if that is where you are). Ask them upfront, before you bid, and expect around €18 for shipping with DHL (at current pricing).

Now I have to disclose that I have known these keys since the late '60s when I joined the German navy for four years. They are also the only key I know, so I cannot compare. However, I can say that I never came across a specimen that didn't work or that was not feeling as precise as all the others and as the one I have again today.

German engineering, what else can I say ;)

PA2DW Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 06:13 Send this review to a friend
German masterpiece  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have passed my radio-amateur examination on such key in 1978 and have owned one ever since. Mine has the click-adjustment for the gap, which is by far to be preferred over the later "rubber ring".
I have some very fine other keys, like a Marconi 365D and the famous Swedish key. But the Junker is the one I keep coming back to.
Grab one if you can. They sell for 30-50 €€

VY 73, Dick PA2DW

AA2SM Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 16:43 Send this review to a friend
A Fantastic smooth key  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a fantastic key. I collect telegraph keys and have some very expensive straight keys. I find this key to be one of the very best I own. Purchased mine from Morse Express who no longer carries them. A great feel to this key. Had mine for a few years now and always enjoy using it. Read up on them on Morse express. It is amazing how they are constructed. Treat yourself to great instrument if you can find one. You wont be sorry

M3ZVI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2012 01:42 Send this review to a friend
A FANTASTIC KEY!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been searching for one of these keys since I became a CW op and last week I bought one from a well known auction website.

The steel cover was a bit beat up (of course, it is a WW2 era key so you can't expect factory sealed condition) but saying that, the key works very smoothly and has a clean action and feel to it....so it may as well have come straight out the factory.

Anyway this straight key will be on my bench for many years to come!

When I told a couple of my friends about it they asked if I could get them one each as well and now due to a lot of luck they now have one each and I have another one for dx field events.

If you want an amazing straight key that is built like a tank, that feels good to use everyday and will bring a smile to the ham who owns it everytime they walk in the shack then two words 'A Junker!'.

73 de Frank M3ZVI dit dit.

WD6GLA Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Not much to add .... a near perfect key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 2 years ago from Morse Express . It came in a sealed bag with documentation , in fact it looked to be unissued in the military olive green color . Unfortunately it looks like the supply of the nice refurbished ones has dried up , BUT , if you like using a straight key on CW and can find one of these , don't hesitate ! Some say these are ugly , I dont think so , functional is more the term ... and once you use one you wont settle for less . Tough unit , yet a wonderful light , crisp , solid action . I know there are other nice keys out there , but I dont see how any of them can out perform a Junker .

N7BDY
Bob

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2010 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Great straight key  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is THE straight key to have in your shack. Solidly built, rugged yet made like a precision instrument. Mine was used at marine radio station Sydney Radio. A keeper for sure.

2W0NNN Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2010 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great key, built to be soldier-proof yet a precision instrument, finely adjustable (with repeatable adjustment)... can't fault it.

AE5KA Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 07:14 Send this review to a friend
So smooth..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a wimpy "no code" Extra, I've been working hard to correct the deficiency. I started of with the sold and fairly well made Chinese K4 key (with a way cut down spring, of course). Seemed OK to me, but I had heard of the Junker D.B.G.M. and wanted to try it. My fist needs all the help it can get, so an accomodating QRZer sold one to me. I'll say the D.B.G.M. isn't as "pretty" as the chrome K4, but it feels really, really good and I would wouldn't be pleased to have to go back to the K4. This is a real keeper.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2010 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Great straight key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've found this to be my "ultimate" straight key. Solid, with a precision feel to it. It's allowed me to improve my fist and increase my straight key speed to the point that I prefer it over my single and iambic paddles unless I really need to send fast code.

My only regret in owning it is that I can't justify shopping for another straight key.

AB1JB Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid construction, no wandering settings.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my first Junker (OD Green) from Morse Express and my grey one from e-bay. They are built like tanks. They do not wander around the desk. More importantly, once you set the spring tension and gap they do not move (unlike the Vibroplex and other keys I've used). I did like the feel of the navy knob on the Vibroplex straight key. So I removed the skirt from the Vibroplex and put it on the Junker and it feels great.