Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Junker D.G.B.M. Help

Reviews Summary for Junker D.G.B.M.
Junker D.G.B.M. Reviews: 25 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $185
Description: The Junker "Morsetaste" (German for Morse Key), with its all enveloping cover, it must be said, is not the most attractive instrument. It is a solid, functional instrument, it is not covered with unnecessary gadgets and it sports no giant, shiny logo.

You can write your own review of the Junker D.G.B.M..

AE5KA Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 07:14 Send this review to a friend
So smooth..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a wimpy "no code" Extra, I've been working hard to correct the deficiency. I started of with the sold and fairly well made Chinese K4 key (with a way cut down spring, of course). Seemed OK to me, but I had heard of the Junker D.B.G.M. and wanted to try it. My fist needs all the help it can get, so an accomodating QRZer sold one to me. I'll say the D.B.G.M. isn't as "pretty" as the chrome K4, but it feels really, really good and I would wouldn't be pleased to have to go back to the K4. This is a real keeper.
N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2010 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Great straight key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've found this to be my "ultimate" straight key. Solid, with a precision feel to it. It's allowed me to improve my fist and increase my straight key speed to the point that I prefer it over my single and iambic paddles unless I really need to send fast code.

My only regret in owning it is that I can't justify shopping for another straight key.
AB1JB Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2009 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid construction, no wandering settings.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my first Junker (OD Green) from Morse Express and my grey one from e-bay. They are built like tanks. They do not wander around the desk. More importantly, once you set the spring tension and gap they do not move (unlike the Vibroplex and other keys I've used). I did like the feel of the navy knob on the Vibroplex straight key. So I removed the skirt from the Vibroplex and put it on the Junker and it feels great.
KB1OSI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Stupendous  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This key is amazing. It is the sturdiest thing that I have ever seen. It was built so well that a car could drive over it! (Don't try that) It has a really nice feel to send with. If you get a chance to buy one for $70 or less, go for it. It's a great started key, too, because you can't wreck it and it will last forever. This thing will be around longer then I will be! And I am 16!
I highly reccomend this key to anyone; even someone just getting into CW.

-devin (KB1OSI)

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2007 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Can a key get any better?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Junker Key from Morse Express.

These Keys are NATO surplus, and could be previously used. In my case it looked new in every respect.

I removed the 3 prong plug that came with it, and installed a metal Radio Shack inch plug and put it on the air.

This key is a very big step up from the other straight keys I have used in the past. There may be better keys out there, but I cannot believe that they are really that much better than the Junker. At this level, increases of quality are just a matter of shading.

The Junker is built like a tank, and with the hinged cover it should last forever. Others have commented on the OD green color, but I like it. This is a serious piece of gear. I think I might buy a second one, and put it away.

Buy one and you will not be disappointed.
W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2007 14:39 Send this review to a friend
world class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Junker key is as good or better
than many high end keys
costing two or three times as much

much prefer using the Junker key
to High Mound Swedish key

some may think its not pretty

i think it looks fine

no need to change anything about this key
its a keeper

dit dit mac

GM0WEZ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2007 15:41 Send this review to a friend
A precision key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't get on with paddles, so I'm a pure straight key man. I have a J-37, a Kent straight key, a British army 8 amp key, a Chinese military K4, a Hi mound and a vintage brass Walters Electrical GPO key.

All are good, but none of them come near the precision feel of the Junker. It is quite simply the best morse key I have ever used. It has the same 'precision feel' as a Leica camera or a Feinwerkbau rifle - that's German engineering for you.

Mine is presumably Bundeswehr surplus as it is green and has what looks like a Nato stock number. Cost 12 from German ebay (search Junker Morsetasten) but shipping and bank charges more than doubled it. Still a great deal.

The only downsides are that it is not the most attractive (especially with the plastic cover) and I prefer a proper knob to the disc type knob it is fitted with. Like another reviewer I removed the stop pin to get a finer adjustment. Adjustment for both gap and tension is sure and precise, and once set, can be forgotten. There is a coil and a capacitor buried in the base.

I maybe have a poor fist, but I find I tend to move even heavy keys around in use - but not the Junkers. It is heavy, and the baseplate is large (almost 8x3 inches). It does not budge.

I have seen wartime versions which look basically the same but are marked DRP instead of DBGM.

If you can live with the looks, you will not need another straight key. It is attatched to the steel base with two screws so it would be quite possible to improve the cosmetics with a baseplate transplant.

Strongly recommended.
FROMABQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful, precise feel  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked one of these keys up at a hamfest last winter, and have used it constantly since then with SKCC or slower speed contacts. It has a very precise feel that makes it a real pleasure to use.
OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 13:22 Send this review to a friend
U dont have one??  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Junker key is something like a MUST have for the HAM in my country. We all (well, all of us who made the CW-test) have done our exam on this key and most of us learned CW with it. I worked my first qsos with it and succeeded in the first pile-up with this key...Its still somewhere in the shack and I wont sell it, its a piece of nostalgy for me
KK4DW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 11:30 Send this review to a friend
If you see one on Ebay, Grab it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't like to give out "great" lightly. I feel too often, it is more a matter of "recency" and a feeling of having to justify having spent way too much money on a purchase to inflate its performance. This key, however, has the best "feel" of any straight key I own and I own a few. I have a small collection and have the advantage of hauling out various ones in parallel and switching around on the air. The Junker is my "main squeeze". I hated its looks, so I liberated it entirely from its tin can and put the "works" on a 6" x 3" 1/4" thick polished brass base and it is like one of Oprah Winfrey's makeover gals - Wow! what a difference.