Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Junker D.G.B.M. Help

Reviews Summary for Junker D.G.B.M.
Junker D.G.B.M. Reviews: 22 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $185
Description: The Junker "Morsetaste" (German for Morse Key), with its all enveloping cover, it must be said, is not the most attractive instrument. It is a solid, functional instrument, it is not covered with unnecessary gadgets and it sports no giant, shiny logo.

More info: http://home.earthlink.net/~g4czr

You can write your own review of the Junker D.G.B.M..

KB1OSI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Stupendous  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This key is amazing. It is the sturdiest thing that I have ever seen. It was built so well that a car could drive over it! (Don't try that) It has a really nice feel to send with. If you get a chance to buy one for $70 or less, go for it. It's a great started key, too, because you can't wreck it and it will last forever. This thing will be around longer then I will be! And I am 16!
I highly reccomend this key to anyone; even someone just getting into CW.

-devin (KB1OSI)

KE6YX Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2007 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Can a key get any better?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my Junker Key from Morse Express.

These Keys are NATO surplus, and could be previously used. In my case it looked new in every respect.

I removed the 3 prong plug that came with it, and installed a metal Radio Shack inch plug and put it on the air.

This key is a very big step up from the other straight keys I have used in the past. There may be better keys out there, but I cannot believe that they are really that much better than the Junker. At this level, increases of quality are just a matter of shading.

The Junker is built like a tank, and with the hinged cover it should last forever. Others have commented on the OD green color, but I like it. This is a serious piece of gear. I think I might buy a second one, and put it away.

Buy one and you will not be disappointed.

W8ZNX Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2007 14:39 Send this review to a friend
world class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Junker key is as good or better
than many high end keys
costing two or three times as much

much prefer using the Junker key
to High Mound Swedish key

some may think its not pretty

i think it looks fine

no need to change anything about this key
its a keeper

dit dit mac

GM0WEZ Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2007 15:41 Send this review to a friend
A precision key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't get on with paddles, so I'm a pure straight key man. I have a J-37, a Kent straight key, a British army 8 amp key, a Chinese military K4, a Hi mound and a vintage brass Walters Electrical GPO key.

All are good, but none of them come near the precision feel of the Junker. It is quite simply the best morse key I have ever used. It has the same 'precision feel' as a Leica camera or a Feinwerkbau rifle - that's German engineering for you.

Mine is presumably Bundeswehr surplus as it is green and has what looks like a Nato stock number. Cost 12 from German ebay (search Junker Morsetasten) but shipping and bank charges more than doubled it. Still a great deal.

The only downsides are that it is not the most attractive (especially with the plastic cover) and I prefer a proper knob to the disc type knob it is fitted with. Like another reviewer I removed the stop pin to get a finer adjustment. Adjustment for both gap and tension is sure and precise, and once set, can be forgotten. There is a coil and a capacitor buried in the base.

I maybe have a poor fist, but I find I tend to move even heavy keys around in use - but not the Junkers. It is heavy, and the baseplate is large (almost 8x3 inches). It does not budge.

I have seen wartime versions which look basically the same but are marked DRP instead of DBGM.

If you can live with the looks, you will not need another straight key. It is attatched to the steel base with two screws so it would be quite possible to improve the cosmetics with a baseplate transplant.

Strongly recommended.

FROMABQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful, precise feel  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I picked one of these keys up at a hamfest last winter, and have used it constantly since then with SKCC or slower speed contacts. It has a very precise feel that makes it a real pleasure to use.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2006 13:22 Send this review to a friend
U dont have one??  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Junker key is something like a MUST have for the HAM in my country. We all (well, all of us who made the CW-test) have done our exam on this key and most of us learned CW with it. I worked my first qsos with it and succeeded in the first pile-up with this key...Its still somewhere in the shack and I wont sell it, its a piece of nostalgy for me

KK4DW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2003 11:30 Send this review to a friend
If you see one on Ebay, Grab it!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't like to give out "great" lightly. I feel too often, it is more a matter of "recency" and a feeling of having to justify having spent way too much money on a purchase to inflate its performance. This key, however, has the best "feel" of any straight key I own and I own a few. I have a small collection and have the advantage of hauling out various ones in parallel and switching around on the air. The Junker is my "main squeeze". I hated its looks, so I liberated it entirely from its tin can and put the "works" on a 6" x 3" 1/4" thick polished brass base and it is like one of Oprah Winfrey's makeover gals - Wow! what a difference.

M3CAX Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2003 08:25 Send this review to a friend
perfect service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have got an old Junker MT key, and I love it. The case protects it from dust and anything that happens to be on my desk :-) It is a delight to work with this key, and it is easy to adjust.

The best: this key is still produced! See http://www.grothe-u.de/junker.htm

Therefore, I had no problems to get spare parts when I needed to replace some bits. I just phoned the company, and was helped by the very friendly works manager. VY FB.

KE5GK Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2003 08:02 Send this review to a friend
World's Most Under Rated Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Solid construction. Solid feel. Solid Value.

Many USA hams have never heard of this key. I got mine in an estate sale of a German ham.

Try one, you'll love it.

N2DE Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2003 23:57 Send this review to a friend
Solid like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned my Junker for well over 40 years now, and having tried quite a few straight keys meanwhile that are long forgotten, I probably can speak from solid experience. This is the key that I bought from pocket money way back when I first started in ham radio, and it's still my unbeaten champion when it comes to straight keys, although a few challengers, "Swedish", and American, and Russian, have tried to displace it over time. It is finely adjustable and rock solid - the settings remain in place regardless of temperature variations or mechanical abuse. During my military service I used the NATO version which cost a fortune to the German taxpayer - the equivalent of the $600 hammer in the US - but the only difference to my trusty civilian friend was the olive green finish. Since it rides low above the table it is well suited for the European straight key style, where you rest your arm on the table and grab the knob with three fingers. These days I'm far more at home with my iambic paddles (boy, I love the Begali keys!), but when I feel nostalgic I know that the Junker will be there forever - they still make these things after all these years, and they can be had refurbished at bargain basement prices. You won't win a beauty contest with it, but it will be around when all the beauties are long gone.