Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-160
Radio Shack DX-160 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $$160 (ca 1975)
Description: General coverage receiver, solid state, analog readout, single-conversion, AM - SSB, coverage 150Khz to 30 Mhz.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-160.

N0UJR Rating: 0/5 Dec 26, 2010 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Pretty Piece of Junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I read quite a few 5/5 reviews on this here in eHam, and I like how it looks, so I purchased one on eBay. It was inoperative when I received it. I fixed the short in the speaker line and got a few signals on a couple of bands, after connecting it to a good outside dipole antenna, and a good quality speaker. I decided to try and bring it back to it's new, original working condition if possible, so I replaced all the electrolytic caps, reworked probably 70 or 80 bad solder connections, cleaned all switches and controls, cleaned all the dust from the boards, and did a complete alignment. I found that at best, it's a poor performer. Poor sensitivity, poor audio quality, etc. etc. It's a poster child for frequency drift, for one thing. Typical Radio Shack...all about looks, nothing about quality or good performance. Yes it was a relatively cheap receiver when new, but they could have made it a good receiver for not that much more money. I have to ask, why even bother to design and manufacture such a poor performing piece of equipment? What a waste of money all the way around. So why so many 5/5 ratings? I can only conclude that the high ratings must be from people that really don't know what a good receiver is... Mine is going in the dumpster.

OLDSWLSD Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2010 05:35 Send this review to a friend
A real Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first DX-160 with the SP-150 for $20 at a pawn shop in 1980 and have owned several over the years. I don't know how many hours I spent listening to the Beeb, Radio Moscow, Pyongyang and so many others during the Cold War.

One note, if you have or purchase one replacing all the electrolytics and the non ceramic caps on the tuning board with original ratings and a proper alignment really brings out the best in the 160.

Properly aligned they make a great starter receiver and I still use my (heavily modified) 160 almost daily.

The only real negatives I have about the stock units is the tinny audio, too-wide IF bandwidth and drifting. The very straightforward design makes mods easy to implement. A digital readout is nice too but remember the age of these units.

There will always be an unmodified DX-160 in my collection as well as a modified one for those long winter nights.

VE3ES Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2010 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Great vintage receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Further to my comments back in 2008, one thing to consider with the DX-150A, DX-150B and DX-160, is that these are vintage radios now forty years old-ish and usually they still work great. No tubes! Not much to go wrong!!! The decade or so earlier similar radios from Hallicrafters for example are full of tubes and rarely still work. While I love the old Hallicrafters general coverage SW receivers, these old Realistic products are even better. And the company that produced them is still around and still making new products (GRE). They have a new line of scanners that they exhibit at the Dayton Hamvention each year and were also responsible for a plethora of other Radio Shack products.

Honestly, if you can find one of these radios, buy it. True, it isn't a top of the line receiver such as you'd find in a Yaesu FTDX-9000D or an ICOM whatever, but these are classic products that usually still work well and make an excellent addition in any ham shack!

KJ4DGE Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2010 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Nostalgia  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got started in SWL in the late 70's with one of these. Running in the car I listened to LW beacons with a box loop antenna. Great fun. I recently saw "Dawn of the Dead" circa 1979? One scene shows a DX-160 in 2 shots being used as a transmitter! cute. Its a good radio for casual listening and at the time was also great for LW running off the mains and on battery. Like older tube rigs, its the nostalgia that makes it fun to have in the shack. I am keeping mine.

AD5VM Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2009 20:16 Send this review to a friend
I Love it!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought it used on ebay for about $50. Great shape. Works great, looks great. Much bigger than I pictured!!
A REAL radio! How great it must have been to be a ham in the 60's and 70's....

KJ4AXU Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2008 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Oldie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Memories galore - like so many others this was my introduction to shortwave and ham radio. My cousin was a ham at the time (I was about 10 or 11) and he recommended it as a good way to hear SW and HAM,a nd he was right. The Variable BFO was cool, ship to shore was great, and of course SW was a blast. Parents got rid of mine when I went to college - hated that it was gone. Bought one on Ebay recently and again it got me thinking about SW and HAM. This time around I got my Tech, then General, then Extra. Still enjoy playing with the DX-160 even though there are better radios now - it is still amazing what it can pick up with a random long wire!

KA8NSG Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2008 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Good rig to start with  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine back in 1976. Spent hous listening to it. You name it SW broadcasts, Ham radio, CB, and AM broadcasts. Always used mine a back receiver when I got my ham license in 1981. Its been a good receiver for me. Sure mine has its downs too, and the its showing its age and use. It needs to be benched and reworked and recalibrated and such. Still have mine today and still use it much. Its not perfect no, but neither is my Heathkit HW 16! Someday I will get mine refurbished I hope and hope to upgrade with a more capable receiver, but I wont part with mine as I have too many memories with it. Ron, KA8NSG

SPIDER89119 Rating: 0/5 Jun 25, 2008 11:25 Send this review to a friend
a pretty piece of junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this new when I was a kid. I remember being so excited to get it. I've had it for all these years, only occasionally pulling it out of the closet only to be reminded of what a dog it is. The only semi-positive thing I can say about it is that it was so-so for DXing the AM broadcast band. That's if I can remember correctly, since that band stopped working a week after I bought it! The radio got nothing on LW, and very little on SW. As far as Ham reception goes, what little I got was usually impossible to make out using the terrible SSB on this unit. Oh yeah, I could also listen to CBers, but they were nowhere near where they were supposed to be on the dial. I now have a Sony 7600GR, and that little portable is light years ahead of the DX-160 in performance! Next I am going to get rid of my DX-160 and get a Palstar R30cc.

N4OI Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2008 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Revered Place In Attic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow! I just ran across my old DX-160 on its shelf in the attic today. I bought it with my very first paycheck from my very first full-time job back in 1970! Although my Drake R8 will make sure the DX-160 stays in the attic, I will never part with it -- too many great memories of listening to Cold War broadcasts, numbers stations, ship-to-shore phone calls -- and, of course -- hams. I have since become a ham -- directly as a result of my days with the DX-160. Great times! 73 de Ken - N4OI

K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2008 15:59 Send this review to a friend
You Never Forget Your First...  Time owned: more than 12 months
You're either going to love it or hate it.
Personally, I was 13 years old when it hit the shelves at my local Radio Shack, and this was the receiver that introduced me to the hobby. I neighbor had one, and we often used it together. Somehow, my neighbor came across a spool of telephone wire, and he must have had enough strung around his rear yard in various forms of antennas to reach across town!
I BEGGED for one each year from "Santa". I must have had 20 Radio Shack catalogs strategically placed around the house trying to spark interest with my parents. Unfortunately, "Santa" never came through for me on this request.
I ran across a very nice one with speaker a few years ago, and purchased it for nostalgic reasons. I know it drifts, and dial accuracy is very marginal, but it doesn't matter one bit to me. It will always hold a prestigious position in my shack.