Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | Radio Adventures CodeBoy Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Adventures CodeBoy
Radio Adventures CodeBoy Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $24.95 to $54.95 (kit or assemble
Description: High quality electronic keyer with many advanced features in a very small package. The CodeBoy offers a speed range of 10 to 40 words per minute. Available fully assembled or as a kit.
More info: http://www.radioadv.com/products/Accessories/A1.htm

You can write your own review of the Radio Adventures CodeBoy.

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2010 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Fine Little Keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about six years. In addition to the info included in the other reviews, I want to add that the CodeBoy is really good with the IC-706 series of transceivers. It is much smoother than the choppy-sounding '706 internal keyer, and noticeably improves QSK operation. Having both straight key/bug and paddles available simultaneously is just great, and the need to access quick-set mode for keyer stuff is eliminated. The Model A1 CodeBoy takes up just about zero space on the operating desk. I think everyone would benefit having one of these in the station kit.

K2JN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2004 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my CodeBoy kit in 1995 and still have the same original battery. Low current drain, easy construction and great price make a nice addition to the shack.

The unit will work with paddle, bug or straight key. A mini stereo plug is provided in the rear of the case for an iambic paddle. Two RCA audio jacks are also in the rear -- one provides additional input for a straight key or bug, and the other provides output to the transmitter.

Autospace and iambic mode (A or B) can be selected through internal jumpers. Space and weight compensation can be fine-tuned via a couple of internal variable trimmer resistors. The output keying transistor supports positive, low-voltage keying, with a built-in diode protection.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2003 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice little keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the positive reviews to date. The kit was a breeze to put together and the performance is excellent. The small size and battery power makes it perfect for the ultra portable station I'm working on.

This would be a great first kit for anyone wanting to start kit building.

WA9WJB Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2003 16:45 Send this review to a friend
You need this!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't say enough about the Radio Adventures CodeBoy keyer. It has an auto spacing which greatly aids the sender. The CodeBoy auto spacing has an effect which is "felt", and the keyer sets the pace, instead of the sender. My code speed increased almost immediately from a comfy 22 WPM to a comfy 30 WPM. With my old keyer, I made numerous sending mistakes at 30 WPM, but now the sending mistakes are minimal. For the price, the CodeBoy is too good to pass up. Beg, borrow, or just buy one. You will be amazed as I was. The CodeBoy will soon become your favorite keyer.

Duke WA9WJB
wa9wjb@arrl.net

N4EKV Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2002 02:07 Send this review to a friend
Finally.. a keyer with independent dit and dah weighting!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This keyer is a well kept secret. My only regret is that I didn't learn about it until now.

As a kit it goes together easy enough and worked right away once I thought to solder *all* the connections. ;) Using it is simple enough.. set the speed pot and send!

The beauty of this little keyer is the independently adjustable dit and dah weighting that are controlled by internal trim pots. You can tune the Code Boy to sound just about any way you want, whether it's an old Vibroplex bug or a razor sharp contest keyer. It's dirt cheap too.

VA3UT Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2002 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Nice!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this kit in 1993 (or 94, I am not sure) at Rochester Hamfest. I was looking for a decent keyer when the MFJ-407 stopped working, and the low current drain was very attractive while the MFJ kills 9V battery after few hours of use.

It tooke about an hour to build the kit and worked very well. I haven't changed the battery since, and I am not sure how far it will go more. The only downside is that it only has positive keying, so I had to make an adapter for my TS-830S, but not a big deal.

Very nice kit!!

N9VV Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2002 10:19 Send this review to a friend
outstanding keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built my little CodeBoy in about an hour. It works great and I really like the separate ratio adjustments for _both_ dots and dashes. I can give my fist the old southern drawl that it used to have on a bug :-) I recommend this fine little keyer for your consideration.
de ken n9vv