Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | Dan's Small Parts and Kits Help

Reviews Summary for Dan's Small Parts and Kits
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Lots of the types of parts useful to radio homebrewers. Also stocks some inexpensive kits useful to the QRPer.
More info: http://www.fix.net/dans.html

You can write your own review of the Dan's Small Parts and Kits.

AF4O Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2008 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Hobby Surplus Parts Supplier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dan had a fall sale on. I ordered enough to get the fall sale discount and get free shipping paying with USPS Postal Money Order per his instructions.

I used his order blank and copied/pasted items from the website onto the order blank. Also did this with particulars of the order. Sifting through Dans website reminds me of looking through a Harbor Freight color sale flyer. It part of the fun to me! Its not meant to be Mouser!

You need to follow Dan's instructions carefully. Coming from a small business of 20 years on a shoestring budget, i think i can relate to his reasons for this and keeping communications to the bare minimum.

I'm sure profit margins are low and he needs to be as efficient as possible (can't waste allot of time communicating) so i wouldn't take this personally. He is trying to bring us low price parts for tinkering and cant spend all day on the phone/email/etc.

If i had a problem (lost in the mail, etc), i would just send him a registered letter. My order took 16 days from the time i sent the letter to him until i got the package. And this was over the Thanksgiving holidays. He clearly states to allow up to 10 days but im sure this is working days and allowing for mailing to him, 16 days is just fine with me.

Dans fills a niche market of surplus parts for us hobbiest's and i for one am glad he is providing this service. He is not a large mail order house and IMHO he should not be.

Keep up the good work Dan. My order was what i expected and the couple of substitutes suited me fine.

Chuck
AF4O

M1KTA Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2008 00:15 Send this review to a friend
His ebay shop details  Time owned: more than 12 months
US address only ordering which is a pain.

But if you have a friendly US amateur that will allow you to send to them and forward on that works too.

His ebayshop is http://myworld.ebay.com/twisttwinkel
The listings on it are limited though.

But he doesn't link to it from main website or visa versa.

Dom

WA6L Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Great source  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have made quite a few orders with Dan's Small Parts and always had fast, friendly, and accurate service. If you are trying to build an inventory for homebrew projects or repairs, you aren't going to find a better source or better prices.

Recently, Dan's Small Parts started to sell on eBay. I have purchased there and been quite happy with the service. However, I have to say that I enjoy perusing all the hidden gems that lurk on Dan's web site. Invariably, I end up buying more than I really need. On the other hand, at these prices I can afford to do that!

If you are looking for new parts with warranties, or you need that one piece for a critical application, you might want to try Moser or one one of the other commercial suppliers. Dan's is selling surplus parts, in quantity, at bargain-basement prices.

If you are a hobbyist, homebrewer, or experimenter, Dan's is the ultimate candy store. I've had fun while both purchasing and using the parts.

John, WA6L

KE7VHG Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2008 14:35 Send this review to a friend
No Problems At All  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had no problems ordering from Dans on E-Bay and paying with Pay-Pal. There does seem to be a greater selection on this HTTP site than there is on E-Bay however. But the service was friendly and VERY fast. I ordered parts and got them about 2 days later here in Utah.

Very satisfied, will order again.

NS5U Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2007 10:17 Send this review to a friend
IF YA HAVE TA  Time owned: more than 12 months
A couple years back I ordered from Dan and a quick shipment of hard to find parts at reasonable prices. I have had an order in now for 3 weeks or more. No parts yet still hopeful no way to contact except snail mail. This is a particularly difficult business to profit so I am patient and faithful. I hope he is prospering and healthy but I am frustrated there is no better method to connect or order.

KG6OMK Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2007 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Ok if you can wait  Time owned: months
He has some parts that are hard to find and some good prices too. But he needs to move into at least the 1980's. Dan's has No email, No telephone, No paypal , No credit cards, No automated web shopping cart. The only way to place an order is by snail mail with a paper check. But you can't count this against him because he says this up front.

If he has what you need and the prices is right and you can wait three (or more) weeks Dan's is a good place. I'll likely place more orders with him but Digikey and Mouser will get the bulk of my business simply because I can order over the web and pay by credit card.

K8AI Rating: 3/5 Jan 21, 2007 05:54 Send this review to a friend
A bit slow  Time owned: months
I finally got my order after about three weeks but it was at least accurate. I'm happy with Dan's selection of parts and the prices but I would say that he needs an e-mail address and PayPal account or something. An online ordering form would be nice too.

WA4DOU Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2005 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Source of parts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought parts some years ago. All of them were satisfactory except for 4 crystals that were supposed to be matched. They were no more matched than 4 random crystals from a batch. After that I began matching my own. This is a good source of parts that can be hard to find and prices are usually quite good.

W9YO Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2005 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Great to work with  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been purchasing parts from Dan nearly 8 years now. Was sure glad when he re-opened for business a few years back. Never had a problem. Dan even takes out of state personal checks and ships in a timely manner. Definitely a pleasure to work with and a "gold mine" for many hard to find components. I have purchased semiconductors, IC's, FET's, crystals, hardware, ferrite toroidal cores, etc.. I just received my last order in June 2005 without a glitch. Keep up the good work. 73, Bill W9YO

W6VY Rating: 1/5 Aug 25, 2005 17:51 Send this review to a friend
NOT SO GOOD NOW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have ordered from Dan's in the past and while not 100% I could live with the mistakes and useless parts. This time I ordered 28 mica capacitors. Out of the 28, ten were useless.
Eight had leads that were 1/4 inch long and some were previously soldered(he will not take a return if the leads have been soldered). The othe two were the wrong value. I tried to call him on the phone but got the normal answering machine and no reply to my message.

If you need the correct parts stick with Mouser or DigiKey.