Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2400M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2400M
Yaesu FT-2400M Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $discontinued, typical used ~90.0
Description: 2 meter mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2400M.

N9LCK Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2005 22:37 Send this review to a friend
Was good.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for over 10 years now. Up to a few months ago it was the most solid, reliable radio I've ever had the pleasure to work with.

About 2 months ago it started loosing memories when the power was disconnected. I replaced the battery, but it didn't help. I sent it in to Yaesu, they worked on it and not only did they not fix the problem, they also killed the panel controls.

I hope they will be able to get her going again, but the customer service department is so poor that I will probably look for a different brand when buying her replacement.

KI4ING Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2005 19:40 Send this review to a friend
good but broke  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has been a great radio for many years. Now I need help with low output. Can someone post or e-mail me of someone you would recomemend to repair my TR-2400H radio. I hate to give it up because I have made many contacts with this rig and it has been solid as a rock. KI4ING prjohnson32712@yahoo.com

VA3YI Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2004 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Solid little rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this rig for a Christmas present in 1992. It's been running great ever since. I've never had a problem with it, except for maybe the the main knob where it seems to miss the "notches" as you tune. That is problem I find with most knobs that have "fuzzy logic". But other that that, it's seen tempatures from -30 C to plus 40 C and it's never complained. These day it sits inside. The unit gets a bit hot (as it was one of the first units build without a fan) but nothing to worry about. Buy one if you find out out there! It's a simple rig with military standards. You can't go wrong. I expect this rig to last me another 10 years.

KI4ECW Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2004 16:37 Send this review to a friend
buy one if you find one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Yaesu FT-2400M for $90 used expecting to use it as a mobile unit. I brought it into the house to "quick test" a new antenna install -- was that my lucky day!!! What a joy! It has an excellent receive and with three power levels it's perfect. (I can't say enough good things about the receive mode.) In fact, I'm thinking of selling the base unit, a Yaesu 726R tri-bander, and sticking with the 2400! Using a KLM 11 element 2 meter yagi, and the high power setting of 50 watts, I could hit every repeater within 125 miles radius. If you find one, buy it -- period.

WA2CLP Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2004 05:03 Send this review to a friend
Memory Battery: Need help  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the FT-2400 about 9 years ago. Great radio but recently the memory battery quit. Does anyone have any experience with changing this battery?

As far as my review this radio has performed well. The receiver is almost immune to intermod and is very sensitive outside the 2 meter band. One ham told me that he could receive his local sheriff's department and hear both sides of the conversation when the units had trouble hearing each other. Also I could tune to the local McDonald's drive through window with my 5/8 mag mount and travel about 1 mile away and still hear it! Huhh?

Transmitter works well. Had some trouble in the beginning with a crackling noise but it was fixed under warranty.

Some hams complained about a microphone problem on some models (bad audio) but mine seemed to work just fine.

The radio is built solid with a large heat sink. It's heavy but overall is a great mono-band radio.

Just need to change the memory battery and I'll be back in business.

W4KPA Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2004 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat depending on price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Other than being a little short on memories, this radio is as good as any mono-bander on the market today. I used mine for about eight years, both mobile and in a fixed station. It worked great, and I had no problems with interference even on a daily trip into downtown Atlanta. It does have the same characteristic that a lot of folks have panned in the FT-2600. If the radio is turned on, and the power blinks off and on (like if you turn on the car ignition), you may lose all the memories. But, that is a minor annoyance compared to the radio's otherwise great performance. The key is price. Given the cost of a new FT-1500 or FT-2800, you'd need to get a 2400 for $75 or so to make it worth while.

K1JBP Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2004 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Great & Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the FT-2400 many years ago. It has been an excellent radio, and I also acquired a second one after the owner got bored with amateur radio. I love the large display and many features. I too, have one that 1/2 the display doesn't light anymore, but that is ok.

The only problem I had with this radio was one of them, the mike quit. Now I have two radios, and 1 mike. So I can't use one while using the other. If your looking for just 2 meters, this radio would be a great addition if you are looking for a good used radio.

NY4T Rating: 1/5 Jan 1, 2004 00:44 Send this review to a friend
What a dog!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I thought it was just my rig but it wasn't. A friend and I both bought FT2400M's about the same time. when they were working they were fine...but...both radios developed a problem with the output module. When you would run the rig on high power for a while, the audio would become garbled and stay that way until the rig cooled back down. This condition occurred regardless of the ambient temperature. We both wound up selling the rigs at a loss "as is", rather than pay around $100 for repair at a Yaesu licensed repair center.

VE4KMF Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2003 00:44 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RIG !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well i just recently purchased a FT-2400 used of course, and with my experience with it, i just couldn't resist posting a reveiw about this excellent rig. Over the years, i have owned several Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom mobiles. I can honestly say that this rig has been the best when it comes to intermod. Today i travelled all over town, in areas where i normally get intermod. And i was absolutely shocked when i did not hear a single peep! The only rig i have owned that even comes close to it for intermod rejection is the Icom 2100H. When i first purchased the 2400, i immediately put up a want ad for the optional tone decoder unit, thinking that i would definately need it. After my experience today (first time using it mobile)i have since removed the want for the decoder unit because it definately does not need it! The receiver is also very good. All i have for a mobile antenna is a fender mount 1/4 wave, and i am able to receive repeaters more than 150km away at about S-3 to S-5 on average. The receive audio is excellent and the bottom mount speaker is plenty loud enough so there is no need for an external speaker. The 2400 is also the ONLY mobile rig that i have not had the problem of alternator whine with. Two thumbs up on this one Yaesu, WAY TO GO!!

Now if Yaesu made todays radios the way they built the 2400, there would be no competition.

KB7RGT Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2003 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned three of these radios for nearly ten years. I have never had a problem with any of them. They have all the essential features and many extras at a great price (especially now in the used market). One of these, installed in my truck has suffered a lot of abuse. With the exception of the little button-door coming off, it has performed flawlessly. And they are easy to clone using a standard 8-wire computer network cable.