Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-28A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-28A/H
Icom IC-28A/H Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $ICOM IC 28H
Description: mid 80's vintage 2 meter FM mobile, 21 memory channels, ctcss encode, optional D.Sql

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-28A/H.

KF5BTY Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2010 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the 28A/38A/48A. Bought them when I first got my tech license back in 87. Have never had issues. Since then I picked up 2 28H(s) and another 38a. I just picked another 28a up on EBay. Paid 200 for it as it is new in the box. Figured I would probably never see another new unsed one still in the original packing...
All I can do is echo the comments that go before me.
I recall working a disaster back in the day and there was a guy next to me that had a different brand 2m rig. IMD was tearing him up but I never even saw it on my meter much less heard it...

LW8DJI Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 08:26 Send this review to a friend
a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
excellent transceiver. receiver without interference. no IMD. built like a tank, I have one of them for years, never problem, much better than modern FM transceivers. if you can get one in good condition buy this without fear, prices in Argentina from 100 to 120 usd

KI4HFR Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2010 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Super Quality Rig from ICOM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio at a hamfest two years ago for $35. I wasn't expecting much, but I was wrong. This rig has been in my jeep wrangler since then and on occasion has been rained on.

Both of the backlights for the LCD don't work and I haven't gone to the trouble to replace those yet.

I have an 50 watt audio amp running to my overhead speaker bar and can carry on conversation on the highway with the top down. The audio is superb and I get good reports back.

This is a solid rig if you can pick one up. It has never given me a minutes trouble. and if I ever find another, I'll probably get it.

W8FOP Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2010 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Superb Quality and Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a 28H for many years and throughout that time it has been subjected to various operating conditions that surely would have been fatal to many rigs.

The 28H performs still exactly as when new and has always been faithful. It still occupies a place in the shack next to much newer equipment. I have plans in the near future to dedicate it to Echolink use full time.

The 28H is an example of one of Icom's great designs and it is built to extremely tough standards. This radio refuses to die!

The 28A and H radios are a great value on the used market. It wouldn't surprise me if this old rig outlasts my new 2200H.

If any rig is worthy of a '5' rating, this one surely is in my opinion.

KF5FNI Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2010 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Good, well built radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 28A off of a ham about a year ago, it had been used as a mobile i'm guessing for about 15 years. The screen cover has an aged yellow tint & the volume switch was broken. After repairing the switch & cleaning everything up, the radio works like new. The controls are simple & the radio is easier to use than most newer models. The plastic & metal chassis is robust compared to anything made today. I have tested the output of this radio & have had 2 wattmeters read 27 forward watts. I have had all good reports on my audio with the factory mic, RX is excellent, thus I prefer to use this radio for 2 meter FM over my yaesu 8900 in the shack. If icom would resurrect this model & modernize the face's look, I would definitely consider purchasing another one for my car.

F6GGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2009 02:32 Send this review to a friend
Don't miss it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a nice little thing ! All that is really useful is there, not more, not less. I am talking about your normal traffic on 2 meters FM. Easy to manipulate with one finger and one brain. I mean that these bloody (and all that sort of things)menus are very simple and you don't have to look in the manual before touching any button ! That's great. I you need it and see it on ads, don't miss it ! I am looking desperatly for his brother IC-48 which is the same on VHF.

KB9JIA Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2009 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic and reliable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for nearly 15 years and was the second owner. It's been mobile through North Carolina summers and Chicago winters and has never missed a call.

Still to this day I get compliments on the audio quality and I can program it while driving... without referring to a manual!

Short of commercial radio gear, they don't make 'em like this anymore!

Big thumbs up from me!
KB9JIA

W4HWD Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2008 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Sweet rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine back in 1990 as a high school graduation present. I loved it from the start and I don't know how many cars it's been moved in and out of, how many states it's traveled thru with me, how many pounds of hot air I've blown into the mic, all I know is it holds a place with me as probably the one rig I have ever had that I have used the most! In 1992 I was talking on a repeater one night and output fell almost to nothing. People on the repeater said I was still there only now I have a little noise with me. I knew right away what had happened - the final blew, and I was talking with the driver. Rig was out of warranty. Icom at that time had a repair shop in Atlanta, and I had to go to test for my GROL so I went a day early, visited the Icom shop and they sold me a final for that rig they had in stock, plus some of that silver goop you put between the final and the heatsink. When I got back home it took me exactly 10 minutes to open it, pull the one final, put the new one in and 16 years later, that replacement final is still going 25W out! Around 1999 the internal speaker stopped working, figure a part in the audio circuit blew but didn't bother fixing it, since plugging an external speaker in fixed that, plus sounds better than the internal speaker anyway.

Me and my IC-28A have been through alot, it's got the most longevity of any rig I have ever had and while it's had a few small problems it has been a real companion.

AH6RH Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2007 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank - bullet-proof RF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I echo the sentiments of the other reviewers. Simple, straight forward radio. Puts out 5 and 50 watts on 2m. A great receiver that's a charm -- it blocks out intermod and is super sensitive. No blips and bleeps.

The reason why I'll never part with mines is during Hurricane Iniki on Sept 11 1992, I brought in my IC-28H to operate the packet radio position at Hawaii State Civil Defense. Unknownst to me, the person doing the operating ramped up the transmit power to 50 watts, and ran 50 percent duty cycle packet radio for over 27 hours!

It may not have been exactly 50% duty cycle, but after 27 hours of operating time, I was getting reports that the packet radio position was failing. I checked the radio, and it was super red hot. You could fry eggs on the radio! I burned my fingers bad. I immediately turned off the power supply feeding the radio. I was glad it has a real heat sink and none of this bogus fan stuff but sadly wondered if my next move would be tossing the rig into the trash can.

I waited about two hours for it to cool down before I could touch the rig and take it home. I checked it out, and it performed superbly! No sign of the BRUTAL punishment it endured. Unstoppable!

I have a second unit. I tried using it for accessing packet satellites, but the PLL TX to RX turnaround was too slow to match the ultra-fast crystal transceiver onboard the satellite. It's the only shortcoming I've discovered.

I wish rig manufacturers built such rock solid rigs, that I could deploy to other EOCs. We had several bought and deployed and could use more of the same solid reliability. I evaluate radios before I recommend them for use in the field, and am could use more "tanks".

Ron Hashiro, AH6RH
Honolulu, HI
State CD RACES Coordinator
Original ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course contributor

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2007 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Super Radio For The Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Won this radio at the ARRL Convention in San Diego many years ago, hense the price was FREE.
The radio has nearly 200,000 miles and has outlasted several vehicles. If it continues to perform as it has, I may never buy another 2M mobile rig. Easy to program and easy to operate. A legend among Icom mobile rigs.