Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-28A/H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-28A/H
Icom IC-28A/H Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $ICOM IC 28H
Description: mid 80's vintage 2 meter FM mobile, 21 memory channels, ctcss encode, optional D.Sql

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-28A/H.

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2007 07:22 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: months
The IC-28H is a great radio to operate. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking. I acquired mine when my dear father, K5LDH, became a SK. I use it in the shack and am moving it to the mobile as it is very compact but can put the power. I really like the display and the WX channel is an added asset. If you can find one at a great price, grab it as you will be totally satisfied.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2006 06:09 Send this review to a friend
Old trusty  Time owned: more than 12 months
My IC-28H served as a packet radio node for over 15 years. When packet radio died away in my area and the node was no longer used I built an APRS tracker using this radio. It now performs that role reliably connected to a TinyTrak3 as KK9H-9. It had a short visit to the repair shop to replace a misbehaving coil and to be sure it was still within spec, but after all those years of service it earned it. Very reliable, solid 2M radio that has stood the test of time.

KC2WI Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid basic radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm about to part reluctantly with my IC-28H (acquired a few years back as part of an estate sale). I've used it in the shack for several years and have been very pleased. The only reason I'm letting it go is that I'm setting it up for an elderly ham that has trouble with the menu systems and microscopic buttons on all the new rigs. If I weren't getting some good things in the trade, I'd never part with it. In fact, if I come across another one in the future at a good price, I'll probably buy it.

This is a great little radio. Good RF performance. Sufficient output power. (I usually only run it at 5W anyway.) Straightforward controls and well thought out front panel. Compact but not so small you can't see the controls or get at them with big fingers.

I don't think there is a radio made today that is any simpler to operate. About the only really useful things it doesn't have that newer radios do is automatic repeater shift and display of PL Tone setting as actual tones rather than tone numbers in set mode, but neither is a big deal.

W0RMS Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2005 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Bought my first one (still use it every day mobil) over 20 years ago--no problems until last year when I blew the finals (my fault). It has even been through a crash that distroyed my Chev.pickup and never missed a day of service. I now have a second one (saw at a hamfest ,price was right could'nt pass it up) just in case. I like having a radio you can change the freq. on without having to look up the procedure in the manuel. It does,nt have all the bells etc. the new ones have but if you are looking for a good, simple, easy to use rig you won`t go wrong with the 28A/H!!

SINDK8 Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2005 16:23 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have my tranceiver tested by an elmer here. using spectrum analyser. still in great condition. (still the same results when we bought it). its now 15yrs old now and I still use it as my primary and only VHF-2m-FM rig. very stable, no degredation in output power and very efficient out of band rejection (pager, fire/law-enforcement, etc etc) only problem was the backlight which in time dies. my solution was replacing those mini incandescent bulbs with an Amber colored LED + resistors. (great!!! like new radio) BTW this tranceiver was on for 12yrs or so and external problem was the rubber pads on the control knobs gets loose. anyways! this is one very great stable radio, though cannot be compared with the new breeds. (ctcss/dcs etc etc). for its class, its my choice.

the board layout is great. servicing this radio is bearable and not a headache/no SMT components and block/section arrangement.

KZ9G Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2003 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Won't Stop Working!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've also used a IC-28H for over 15 years, and it keeps chugging along. It's a basic 2M rig that takes the punishment. In fact, it has withstood a few scorching summers while mobile in Biloxi, MS. I'm sure the vehicle temp soared to above 140 deg F on many occasions. It also survived 5 winters in my Bravada in Southcentral Alaska, where the temp dipped to below 30 degrees below zero for a few weeks each winter. They are solid, dependable performers. What more can I say?

VK6XH Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2003 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at all  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had to replace the PA about 4 yrs ago, have owned it for about 7 yrs and it was a mistreated radio b4 I got it, ( owned by a school radio club !)
As a base station radio it gets mighty hot but the audio is good and it's pretty tolerant of my 4 ele quads 2:1 swr so I guess its a pretty good unit after all. It's only my second Icom 2mtr radio in 21 yrs and I would buy anohter based on its performance.

BG5HAR Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2003 19:54 Send this review to a friend
GOOD RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
1993~2001 SO STRONG QRM FROM BP CALL BASE STATION.
BUT IC-28C CAN DONING FINE!!

N8IWK Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2003 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 28H for over 15 years now, I purchased it used back in 87 and it has served me well. I have not had any problems with it. Power out appears to be slightly more than rated 45 watts, but I rarly need it because I'm able to get into most repeaters on the 5 watt setting. Speaker audio is so loud it rarely get turned past the 12 O'clock position.
My only gripe is with the pigtail SO-239 connector, my thought was it was going to be the first thing to fail, but 15 years later and it's still fine.
I know this radio may not compare with the new radios on the marker in features, but far exceeds them in reliability and performance.
I only wish they made this radio in a dual band version at the time.

KB9YFX Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2001 07:43 Send this review to a friend
A good older basic 2 meter FM rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The IC-28A/H are identical except for RF output, the H model having 45 watt, and the A model having 25 watt. Both have 5 watt as the low power option.
These older Icoms are nice rigs. Only 21 memory channels, and only 3 of the 21 channels can have ctcss tones stored in them. Icom used a numeric code to represent the actual ctcss tone, so one needs the manual to program tones.
Radio has nice ergonomics, 11 buttons total. Green display is nice. Easy to see in daylight or during nighttime. Display also has auto dimmer to adjust brightness.
Good transmit audio, and fair receive audio from the bottom firing speaker. A small outboard speaker is almost a must for me.

All in all a good older radio, if the price is in the 75$ range. I see these radio selling for 125$ ++ all the time, but I certainly would not pay any where near that much for this radio, or any other 80's vintage mobile.