Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Millen 92200 Transmatch Help

Reviews Summary for Millen 92200 Transmatch
Millen 92200 Transmatch Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $200-300 Used
Description: 80-10 Meter Bandswitched Antenna Tuner with Monimatch Meter

You can write your own review of the Millen 92200 Transmatch.

KG6UTS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2009 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Tough old Box  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two, and being interested in James Millen stuff the jr. also. My antenna is a 135 ft sloping dipole fed with 450 ladderline, DX Engineering 1:1 balun and the 92200. The tuner uses the best components large enough to take the duty cycle of my SRT-14/15 and BC-610 on AM. The second 92200 was picked up for convenience of location in the shack and the jr is switched between 100 watt modern rigs and BoatAnchors. 92200 #2 will probably get moved to our alt-QTH in the desert. My only mini-beef is the metering but I back up the tuners with Bird meters anyway. If you get a chance to pick up a 92200 jump on it! If you don't want to keep the tuner it will be easy to sell.
EdZ KG6UTS_San Diego DM12jr
Alt_QTH Borrego Springs CA

KJ4DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2004 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Simple, brute strength and functionality.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this tuner for 8 years now. Paid $300 for it. It was, and still is just like brand new. I can pump full power into this tuner with no problems and no worries whatsoever; for whatever length of time.

It is rated for 2KW CARRIER, which means 8kW SSB. Tuning is smooth as glass, very tight. The bandswitch is a monster. Shouldn't wear out or arc over, if you don't do anything stupid. I've heard replacement bandswitches for the 92200 are really hard to find.

Two things I don't like --

1) It is not rated for anything below 3.5 MHz (no 160)

2) The meter is not very useful (I like to see Watt scale).

There is room inside, however, to add components for 160m if restoration is not your thing, and I suppose you could change the 4MHz tap to handle the 160 circuitry, if you weren't into ragchewing on 75 meters.

Just don't change that spiffy blue paintjob !!!

GREAT TUNER.

KC8VIF Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2004 22:57 Send this review to a friend
A work of art  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutly a piece of masterfull construction and design. From the copper chassis to the monster
inductors, sweet capacitors that are smoooth.
Big Knobs with a 4" dia. 0 to 100 graduation so you can log and repeat you settings. 30amp 6000v
inductor switch practically takes two hands to change,no chance of missing the detent. Mine is an early version with unused position. Easy to tap the coil for 60 meters. Little removable plate
lets you access switch for maint. or service.
Conservativly rated 2kw am. Will take a licken and keep ticken. Big bang for the buck.

K5VOA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2001 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Classic Workmanship Far Above Todays High Dollar Tuners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a well-made tuner that was quick to tune and used highly rated components. I had suffered a while with MFJ type stuff and never wanted to go there again. I had considered the top of the line tuners like the Xmatch. I ran accross the old Millen 92200 on eBay and was intrigued by the low price and apparent high quality. I bought it and have been very pleased. Solid as a rock. Uses heavy ceramic switches, huge air variables, silverplated tapped coil, and a unique copper lined chassis. For a fraction of the cost of average modern stuff, you can get the best of yesteryear, and let's face it, a tuner is tuner. What counts is its ability to handle a mismatch and reliability over time. I don't miss a roller inductor. Bandswitching is a quick twist of the knob (you may need both hands to turn the heavy switch). The WARC bands are easily handled by this tuner using the closest band position (10 for 12, 15 for 17, 40 for 30). There are seperate 75 and 80 meter positions If I operated 160M there would be a drawback of no stock 160 coverage, however there is enough room to add an additional coil and tap from the 80M position if you want add 160M. Other minor drawbacks are the lack of in/out switching and an older "Monimatch" metering circuit which is less useful than modern wattmeters. Neither of these are showstoppers for me. If you get the chance to consider one of these units in good condition take a peek inside any MFJ, Nye, or other modern tuner, and then look inside the Millen. The difference will sway your decision. A classic piece of work!