Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Optibeam OB9-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB9-5
Optibeam OB9-5 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $995
Description: Performant yagi designed as stacked monobander for 20/17/15/12/10 with patented feed system. Optimized computer designed German yagi without traps and with full size elements. The OB9-5 has 2 el on 20, 2 el on 17, 2 el on 15, 2 el on 12 and 3 el on 10 meters.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB9-5.

HB9FAX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 11:32 Send this review to a friend
OB9-5  Time owned: more than 12 months
My new purchase is a company Optibeam antenna.
I've heard good things about these antennas, and I must say that once it is mounted, I did just right beautiful.
I am convinced that I will have a lot of satisfaction, thanks to a lady antenna. an OB-9-5 I have no words to describe it, you have to try it to believe it.

thanks Optibam jacky hb9fax

K3UL Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 04:35 Send this review to a friend
A Good Decision  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My OB9-5 has only been up for a few weeks however, I do have some observations. I replaced a Cushcraft X7 tribander and Cushcraft A3WS with this yagi. My first impressions is that it works better than the other antennas. If I can hear it, I have been able to work it. I run 800 watts and the OB9-5 is mounted at 85 feet on Rohn 25G. The construction was well documented and as long as you follow the directions, you'll have no problem assembling this antenna. The SWR is better than the published specifications. The support from Tom DF2BO is outstanding, even over the weekend. So far, I'm very pleased. I will give another review after a few months. 73, Bob K3UL

PA3HGT Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 08:44 Send this review to a friend
Recommended !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good and constructive antenna to work with.
SWR specs are better than factory given.
Tom is indeed very fast to give reply on your qeustions by mail and is very helpfull.
When you need an antenna who is dependable and rocksolid,look for this one.
No moving parts/motors what can be defective,just no nonsense German contruction.
Look for photo's for this DX-antenna : http://www.pa3hgt.nl/antenneperikelen.htm .

Cheers for now.

73,Hans,PA3HGT
www.pa3hgt.nl

DD2FG Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 04:02 Send this review to a friend
Easy to install, surprising results!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím living near the shore of the Baltic Sea and looked for a simple beam antenna without corrodible traps. After sorrow investigations I decided to buy an Optibeam 9-5. The parcel was surprisingly small, but the different elements were packed in a really smart manner. After a little bit more than 4 hours the antenna was completed and ready for lift-off. By means of a crane and the help of a nearby OM it took another hour to attach the antenna to the mast on our house. The first attempts to feed some HF into this rig were really surprising to me. Some Japanese stations answered immediately, whom I couldnít impress at all with my dipole (2x 15 m) or a 60 m delta-loop before! Today I worked the first time VK with 100 Watts out of an IC 7410. The antenna is mounted appr. 3 m above the roof and 9 m above ground. Compliments to Tom, DF2BO, for the development of these simple but effectfull beam-antennas.

GI4SIZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Replaced 2 yagis with this 5 bander.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having lost my tower and antennas in a storm at the beginning of 2012 I had to start and rebuild my whole receiving system.

At first I was going to go back and replace my 2 antennas with the same 2 yagi's that I had been using for many years.

After having given much thought and having read many reviews I decided on the Optibeam OB9-5.

I contacted Tom and even though he was in the USA at Dayton he immediately replied to my e-mail with an extensive answer and description of the product. Ordered immediately and on his return to Germany deal was finalised and within 5 days was delivered to my door.

I now have my OB9-5 up for 2 weeks now and can truthfully say that I am delighted with the end result. The antenna construction went without any problems due to the easy to follow markings on boom and element pieces. The build quality is superb.

SWR was as good or better than that specified.

Although the antenna has only been up 2 weeks I can already see the benefits and that my choice was the correct one and am sure this antenna will last for many years.

OE2GEN Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have used about the last 30 years all well known Antenna manufacturer.
The Last One that I are used Force12 and Fritzel.
But the OB9-5 is really a well performed Antenna for the high bands with less windload. Mounted on a Cranck up Tower about 20 Meter above the Ground.

Mechanical parts real good german quality, Easy to install. A Antenna for a lot of coming years. Real good SWR to the overall bands. For 30 and 40 Meter I use now the OB-4030, no more comments are neccessary.

Good price and performance ratio.

Email traffic with Tom DF2BO are very quick in the answers, very nice and a real Ham.

Gerald
OE2GEN, ....

VK3HDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While living & working in another state for the last 4 years, I've had a lot of time to think about how I would rebuild my station once I returned home.

I had previously used a Cushcraft A4s with average results, so I started researching different options. I initially thought I would go down the dynamic antenna path (Steppir Ultrabeam) as I wanted something for 5 bands.

After reading about many users experiences (both good & bad) I had a few reservations.

I had come across Optibeam while researching on this site, a quick email to the local Australian agent resulted in an almost immediate response from Tom in Germany. He answered all my questions & concerns. At the end of this process I felt that if i were to have any issues Tom & Brenton (local Agent) would do whatever was necessary to sort it out.

One week later the Optibeam arrived, the quality of this antenna is astounding, I'm sure this antenna is going to outlast me!

Assembly was straight forward, this is a big antenna and I took my time, about 6 hours, having all the parts conveniently labeled and the boom marked up from the factory made the job simple.

Once up in the air (13M) I checked all bands, all SWR lower than advertised 1.2 or lower on every band. I can her stations that I've never heard before, my first contact was with an EA on 10m, he couldn't believe I was only using 100W with 5/9++ reports exchanged, and this is proving consistent on every band. I've been able to break into any pile up I've attempted so far.

I am extremely happy with this antenna, no traps no motors. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is considering a new multiband yagi.

Don
VK3HDX

VE1JS Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2013 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna to replace a 13 year old tribander which was somewhat the worse for wear from the Nova Scotia winds. It was delivered within two weeks of the order all the way from Germany.

Putting it together was easy once I got the hang of where things were supposed to go. Everything was carefully labelled and fit perfectly. This antenna will last longer than its predecessor.

Did I mention how well it works? The OB9-5 works really, really well. If I can hear it, I can work it.

Emails to Tom, DF2BO are answered quickly and fully.

The OB9-5 is a truly great piece of engineering.

PA3WB Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 23:32 Send this review to a friend
best beam i had till now  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i have this OB9-5 for12 mounths in my tower,and work very good,and good performents,gread construction,very simple to assemble in 1 day,no traps,low swr and looks gread,if you look for good 5 bands HF antanna this is the one!!!
best 73,s Wil-PA3WB

AJ4YX Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2013 23:02 Send this review to a friend
It will last for years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my OB9-5 up for 2 weeks now and can say that I'm very pleased. The OB9-5 is mounted on a small 40 feet tower. The antenna went together without any problems and it performs per specs or even better. The build quality is excellent on this antenna: never seen such a good quality on antennaís!.

SWR is practically non-existent on 20 and 10 meters, below 1.2 to 1 on 12, 15 and 17. I immediately worked DX stations that I could not even hear on my wire-dipole. Worked Clipperton (TX5K) quite easy with only 50w output on 15 and 17.

Communication with Optibeam (Tom) has been a pleasure. It seems like he never sleeps: he answers his e-mails very quick.

If you want an antenna that will last for years, Optibeam is the brand to go!