Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Optibeam OB9-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB9-5
Optibeam OB9-5 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1441. USD
Description: Performant yagi designed as stacked monobander for 20/17/15/12/10 with patented feed system. Optimized computer designed German yagi without traps and with full size elements. The OB9-5 has 2 el on 20, 2 el on 17, 2 el on 15, 2 el on 12 and 3 el on 10 meters.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB9-5.

EC1KR Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2008 01:43 Send this review to a friend
a fantastic antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Really a fantastic antenna with 5 bands, I have installed since 1 year ago in a 12m tower with a 1 elm 40m monoband + 9elm 144mhz + Dipole 80 and 160m. No ROE on all bands, is a killer DX antenna, fantastic aluminium, you get all contacts in big Pile Ups withouth problem. I buy the antenna directly to Official Spanish Optibeam Provider (PABLO EA4TX - www.ea4tx.com ) and all was fantastic with him. I recomended to all this antenna. You can see more pictures in www.qrz.com/ec1kr and a complet review with pictures of the instalation: http://www.dxfun.com/modules/My_eGallery/gallery/fotos/ec1agz_ant_037.jpg , also click my call in the youtube and see nice videos. Your friend Jesus EC1KR

A71BX Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2008 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Long time ago I was looking to replace my X7 cushcraft by another antenna to cover 20m to 10m, Juma (A71EM) advice me to go with the OB9-5

I ordred the antenna, when I got it here I started it install all the parts of the antenna, it's easy and simple, all the parts are marked so you will find it easy to be install

SWR on this antenna is great on all the bands, on 10m SWR is increas to about 1.8 to 2 or more but you will never be disapponted becuase it powerful and great, I always break the pileup to DX station without any problems, 100w is enough

Enjoy this beautiful piece of art

Thanks Tom (DF2BO)

73s to all

de A71BX from A73A contest team

PA1BR Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 03:28 Send this review to a friend
Great DX antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a replacement for my old 2-el 3-band yagi antenna. After some research by looking at the specs and the reviews I made my choice for the Optibeam 9-5, because this antenna has no moving parts like the Steppir antenna (which is the only serious competition for this antenne). I contacted Thomas because building a 9-el antenna is something different then building a 2-el antenna. He provided me all the documentation (via email) I asked for often within hours after the request. Building of the antenna took me about 12 hours, but did take some action against corrosion, like spraying coax connections with plasti-dip. I also had to mount half of the elements from the ground because the size and objects in my garden. I only needed help to put this antenna in the tower.

SWR on all bands is fantastic, only on 10 mtr it rises in the upperband (above 29.0 Mhz). I work many DX even we are in a low sunspot period. No problem in breaking pile-ups, now and then I am using a small Power Amp (abt. 300w) to speed things up. I guess if you would buy the OB 11-5 you not even needed an Amp. to break pile-ups in minutes.
I could recommend this antenna to anyone who is looking for a great DX-antenna of this size.
Many thanks Thomas for the quick delivery, great service and fantastic antenna.
Pascal - PA1BR

OE6HJF Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 08:30 Send this review to a friend
the best antenna for short wave  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought in December 2007 this antenna (OB9-5). Ordered I it already in the autumn and by the genuine manual work must one then with approx. 2 months delivery time wait. But I can insure, it pay off. On 20-December 2007 I fetched then the antenna directly with Thomas and Diana in Pforzheim/Germany. The two are really very very nice and them have me also the company and antenna production in detail explained and even on the firm masts were allowed I with Thomas to climb up. So, then to the antenna: The antenna has I then 6 months later set up and now work I for 2 weeks with this marvelous antenna. At present I work without final stage, only with 200W of the FT-2000D and I am very enthusiastic. All the same whether in the RX or TX range holds, the antenna which it promises. No comparison to the Mosley TA-33WARC which I before had. Never again problems with Traps. Thus I can only recommend this antenna and alone by the dear and nice kind, which for me Thomas and Diana arranged, I further faithful customer by Optibeam will be/will remain. If one looks for a really good KW antenna (also for WARC), then please nothing else buys. I have the antenna with that very simply and easily explained operating instructions alone in only 4Stunden assembled and then with 2 friends on the masts up lifted. The SWR was and is optimal. None place. Assemble and completely. Price achievement the relationship is absolutely ok. I can promise that this antenna will inspire everyone and thank you Thomas and Diana and send completely completely dear greetings to Pforzheim. vy73 de Joerg/OE6HJF

GM3YTS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 5 band antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this antenna together a couple of weeks ago. It went together easily with all parts marked and the engineering is first class.
Performance is excellent with most pile ups being easily broken.
Service from Tom at Optibeam is just great. If you want a solidly built antenna that is of a reasonable size go for this one.

DH5PK Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Booming signal antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all. I bought the OptiBeam 9-5 in August 2007. Before I had a Titanex LP 7 on the Top of my Tower and i thought, I have a good antenna.Now I know, what a good antenna is. The OB 9-5. This antenna is great. I get always very good Signal rprts and I have on all 5 bands an exellent SWR. And, this antenna is very easy to mount. Great assistance from Tom for anything needed. Thanks a lot for such great antenna.

Best 73`s from Oliver, DH5PK

CT1DOF Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 03:38 Send this review to a friend
5 Band Excelent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After an accident that teared down all my antennas I had to choose a new antenna and the space available is not very large so I choosed OB 9-5 because it not only fitted but work on WARC as well as 10, 15 and 20 meter.
After almost 3 month of use I can say that:
1 - Easy to assemble
2 - Very good hardware. Typical German project.
3 - Preassembled and no tuning necessary. Excelent SWR on all bands along all the band.
4 - More than 4 dBd on all 5 bands. Very good for a 5 meter boom.
5- WARC bands open as a new world.
6 - After 16 years with Trap antennas no doubt I took the right decision.
7 - If in future I move to a larger place I think I will ask Tom for a add-on with directors to improve the gain instead of changing for a new antenna. This one is really good.
CT1DOF - Jorge

IW2CLM Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing antenna...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I own OB9-5 antenna for a little while now, but it is very nice, easy to mount, no SWR in all 5 band. I've worked all the world with incredible signals.
Great assistance from Tom for anything needed. Well done Optibeam.

CT1BWW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2007 11:58 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Antennas for Great DXers!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Friends!
I decide to write this review exactly 2 months after setup my OPTIBEAM 9-5.
I don't want to explain what everybody already knows about antennas, for myself all antennas are good! But I just want to explain Why I decide for Opitbeam! I've already work with Cuschcraft, Force 12, I've already help mounting over 30 antennas from other friends. So !I know very well different manufacturers.
I choose Optibeam for following:
1)I want to have a antenna with a good VSWR and should work from 10 to 20 Meters including WARC
Not too Heavy and with NOT A LONG Boom. (This is because my tower is not Telescopic and it's supported by stream steel cables.(I've to put a J-Pole to setup all antennas)
OPTIBEAM 9-5 The Antenna Technical features exactly as showns on the WEB-Page .
2)My location as very problematic strong Winds from Atlantic Coast. Antenna made under German Techonoly as Very Good Quality. (ask for others OPtibeam Users if you have any doubt!)
3)That I've decide to have 40 Meters Band I've to buy 2 antennas OPTIBEAM 9-5 and a second antenna for 40 Meters OPTIBEAM 1-40, I study very carefully with my Budget. OPTIBEAM as Very Good Prices comparing with others.
4)I'm accustomize with mounting antennas and towers , but I decide to ask to OPTIBEAM some advise about to have two (2) antennas on same mast .They give me VERY Good Support from Factory.
5)What I Expect on the antenna? First QSO on 20 Mts (BS7H Phone) Phone after a while (BS7H CW). Work DXs easy on WARC and also very good VSWR curves. You don't need POWER ! Usually I'm saying I prefer 2 elements without traps than 3 elements with Traps. Nowadays more important ARE NOT TRANSMITTING but have a GOOD RECEPTION, GOOD LISTENING.
On the same mast about 2,5 Meters I have my OPTIBEAM 1-40
This antenna SYSTEM are REALLY WHAT i EXPECT!
If you hear me give me a call ! I'm using a OPTIBEAM !

PA3EXX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Great replacement for my old FB-33  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a Fritzel FB33 for 14 years I was looking for a replacement. I had the idea the beam was not doing so well anymore because of the traps and the WARC dipole mounted on the FB33 boom did not give good results either.

I was looking for a beam for 14-28 Mhz. The best choices seemed to be the Optibeam 9-5 and the 3 ele Steppir ( because of the size ).

There is not very much difference between the specs of the Steppir and the Optibeam, only the Steppir also works on 50 MHz. My choice was the Optibeam OB9-5 because it has no moving parts, because it is very well constructed, because it is much cheaper and because of all the great reviews on this forum.

The beam was shipped from Optibeam in Germany and the service was very good. Construction is easy and the manual is very clear.

I am very happy with the beam. I do hear less noise and stronger signals and that is what it was all about.

The beam has fullsize elements instead of traps and I was a bit worried that it would look huge but the neighbours did not even notice that I replaced the old beam.

Excellent antenna and great value for money !