Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Optibeam OB9-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB9-5
Optibeam OB9-5 Reviews: 77 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1441. USD
Description: Performant yagi designed as stacked monobander for 20/17/15/12/10 with patented feed system. Optimized computer designed German yagi without traps and with full size elements. The OB9-5 has 2 el on 20, 2 el on 17, 2 el on 15, 2 el on 12 and 3 el on 10 meters.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB9-5.

GM3YTS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 5 band antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this antenna together a couple of weeks ago. It went together easily with all parts marked and the engineering is first class.
Performance is excellent with most pile ups being easily broken.
Service from Tom at Optibeam is just great. If you want a solidly built antenna that is of a reasonable size go for this one.

DH5PK Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Booming signal antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi all. I bought the OptiBeam 9-5 in August 2007. Before I had a Titanex LP 7 on the Top of my Tower and i thought, I have a good antenna.Now I know, what a good antenna is. The OB 9-5. This antenna is great. I get always very good Signal rprts and I have on all 5 bands an exellent SWR. And, this antenna is very easy to mount. Great assistance from Tom for anything needed. Thanks a lot for such great antenna.

Best 73`s from Oliver, DH5PK

CT1DOF Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2008 03:38 Send this review to a friend
5 Band Excelent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After an accident that teared down all my antennas I had to choose a new antenna and the space available is not very large so I choosed OB 9-5 because it not only fitted but work on WARC as well as 10, 15 and 20 meter.
After almost 3 month of use I can say that:
1 - Easy to assemble
2 - Very good hardware. Typical German project.
3 - Preassembled and no tuning necessary. Excelent SWR on all bands along all the band.
4 - More than 4 dBd on all 5 bands. Very good for a 5 meter boom.
5- WARC bands open as a new world.
6 - After 16 years with Trap antennas no doubt I took the right decision.
7 - If in future I move to a larger place I think I will ask Tom for a add-on with directors to improve the gain instead of changing for a new antenna. This one is really good.
CT1DOF - Jorge

IW2CLM Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2007 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Amazing antenna...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I own OB9-5 antenna for a little while now, but it is very nice, easy to mount, no SWR in all 5 band. I've worked all the world with incredible signals.
Great assistance from Tom for anything needed. Well done Optibeam.

CT1BWW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2007 11:58 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Antennas for Great DXers!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Friends!
I decide to write this review exactly 2 months after setup my OPTIBEAM 9-5.
I don't want to explain what everybody already knows about antennas, for myself all antennas are good! But I just want to explain Why I decide for Opitbeam! I've already work with Cuschcraft, Force 12, I've already help mounting over 30 antennas from other friends. So !I know very well different manufacturers.
I choose Optibeam for following:
1)I want to have a antenna with a good VSWR and should work from 10 to 20 Meters including WARC
Not too Heavy and with NOT A LONG Boom. (This is because my tower is not Telescopic and it's supported by stream steel cables.(I've to put a J-Pole to setup all antennas)
OPTIBEAM 9-5 The Antenna Technical features exactly as showns on the WEB-Page .
2)My location as very problematic strong Winds from Atlantic Coast. Antenna made under German Techonoly as Very Good Quality. (ask for others OPtibeam Users if you have any doubt!)
3)That I've decide to have 40 Meters Band I've to buy 2 antennas OPTIBEAM 9-5 and a second antenna for 40 Meters OPTIBEAM 1-40, I study very carefully with my Budget. OPTIBEAM as Very Good Prices comparing with others.
4)I'm accustomize with mounting antennas and towers , but I decide to ask to OPTIBEAM some advise about to have two (2) antennas on same mast .They give me VERY Good Support from Factory.
5)What I Expect on the antenna? First QSO on 20 Mts (BS7H Phone) Phone after a while (BS7H CW). Work DXs easy on WARC and also very good VSWR curves. You don't need POWER ! Usually I'm saying I prefer 2 elements without traps than 3 elements with Traps. Nowadays more important ARE NOT TRANSMITTING but have a GOOD RECEPTION, GOOD LISTENING.
On the same mast about 2,5 Meters I have my OPTIBEAM 1-40
This antenna SYSTEM are REALLY WHAT i EXPECT!
If you hear me give me a call ! I'm using a OPTIBEAM !

PA3EXX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Great replacement for my old FB-33  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After owning a Fritzel FB33 for 14 years I was looking for a replacement. I had the idea the beam was not doing so well anymore because of the traps and the WARC dipole mounted on the FB33 boom did not give good results either.

I was looking for a beam for 14-28 Mhz. The best choices seemed to be the Optibeam 9-5 and the 3 ele Steppir ( because of the size ).

There is not very much difference between the specs of the Steppir and the Optibeam, only the Steppir also works on 50 MHz. My choice was the Optibeam OB9-5 because it has no moving parts, because it is very well constructed, because it is much cheaper and because of all the great reviews on this forum.

The beam was shipped from Optibeam in Germany and the service was very good. Construction is easy and the manual is very clear.

I am very happy with the beam. I do hear less noise and stronger signals and that is what it was all about.

The beam has fullsize elements instead of traps and I was a bit worried that it would look huge but the neighbours did not even notice that I replaced the old beam.

Excellent antenna and great value for money !

MM0MSS Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2006 17:15 Send this review to a friend
First impressions - Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had my OB9-5 (HD version - heavy duty) in the air on my 60ft tower only for a short time, but my first impressions are very favourable. Here are a few for/against comments....

FOR:
(1) No TRAPS or COILS !!!!!!! Nothing to get burnt out or water in - fantastic!
(2) Very good build quality.
(3) Easy to put together (although I did have help from existing Optibeam owners).
(4) SWR excellent on all bands. Exceeds expectations.
(5) Compact size for HF beam.
(6) On air performance is superb.

AGAINST:
(1) Nothing !!!

KA5SMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2006 19:08 Send this review to a friend
So far performance is good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my OB9-5 in the air( at 40 ft) for 2 weeks. I am a DXer and every station I have called has come back to me on first or second call running barfoot.

The only criticism I have is that the instructions contain pictures of parts that do not belong to the OB9-5. The instructions seem to be written for several Optibeam antennas. I would have been much better off if I had just put the antenna together without reading the instructions. It would have been nice to have an actual picture of the completed antenna instead of pictures of small sections which in some instances are not even pictures of the OB9-
The elements sag quite a bit..however under gusty wind conditions so far elements do not move very much. After the antenna is in the air the sagging is not so apparent...

From an SWR standpoint this antenna performs better than advertised. The SWR is below specifications in most cases. My SWR across the entire 20 meter band is 1.2:1 or less. The SWR at 29.5 MHz is 2.1:1 which is a little higher than specs..dont operate on FM portion of band but if I did the intenal tuner in my Mark V will take care of the 2.1:1 SWR.

I have noticed that this antenna is very quiet.
This may be partly due to the receiver in the Mark V Field..however.

So far support from Jay and Tom have been great.
I would recommend this antenna if you are looking for a good 5 band antenna. A little inconvience, going through customs at the airport is worth it.

EI8CE Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2005 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased an early model and when erected some of the driven elements developed a forward v shape. I contacted Tom about this and he responded immediately suggesting a modification which has since been incorporated on later versions. Not only did he supply the additional parts for free when I asked about fitting a commercail balun he also sent me that. Antenna performance has been without doubt the best I have ever worked behind with many stations commenting on the outstandingly strong signal from what is essentially a 2 element yagi. Great antenna and great service.

EA1DDU Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2005 02:14 Send this review to a friend
¡MAGNÍFICA ANTENA!  Time owned: more than 12 months
¡Hola a todos!
Compré esta antena hace un par de años ya que necesitaba una que me diera juego en todas las frecuencias de HF por encima de 14 Mhz., con R.O.E. bajo, y que fuera "poco ruidosa" para una nueva instalación en la ciudad después de haber realizado toda mi actividad hasta entonces en casa de mis padres, en el campo, donde el ruído es mayoritariamente ambiental y no "humano" (Confieso que este tema me preocupaba en gran medida y no era en vano).
¡Pues bien!, después de entrar prácticamente en todas las páginas de los fabricantes de antenas que trabajaran multibandas y descartar las logarítmicas, di con Optibeam. Después de varios e-mails que fueron contestados con toda clase de detalles e incluso fotografías, me decidí por la OB9-5 por:
-El boom no es muy largo (5,10m) lo que me permitía poner más pisos en mi instalación. Dado que sólo puedo tener una torreta y trabajo las bandas de V-UHF en DX, no puedo permitirme colocar un "primer piso" muy voluminoso.
-La ROE que especifican en la WEB es muy interesante por lo que no tendría que usar tanto el acoplador de antenas.
-Quería alguna antena no-logarítmica y sin bobinas para tratar de evitar interferencias indeseadas. Y esta cumple el requisito (hay muy pocas)
-La ganancia que citan es relativamente baja en dB pero esto es un poco ficticio porque, sin embargo, la comparativa con yagis monobandas la sitúan por encima de una yagi monobanda de 2 elementos en todas las bandas y la diferencia es de menos de 1 dB sobre una 3 elementos en la mayoría de los casos.
-Y, por último, un amigo que ya tenía antenas de este fabricante me dijo que estaba muy contento con ellas (no cito nombre e indicativo porque no le consulté sobre el particular).

Por contra, confieso que me preocuban dos temas: Los elementos son muy largos (el más largo está cercano a 11m.)con lo que tenía miedo por la resistencia al viento, que sopla fuerte por nuestra zona del Cantábrico, y estaba dudando si los 1.200€. que costaba la antena se corresponderían con las prestaciones...

Pues bien, tengo que deciros que, aparte del trato recibido, que es excelente, la antena
-Se monta muy rápido porque vienen pre-montadas varias piezas del boom y marcados todos los tramos de los elementos. Todo ello completado con un manual muy interesante y con fotografías.
-La ROE que citan en las especificaciones de la página es real.
-El rendimiento es excelente comparado con yagis más largas y no es ruidosa. Sorprende el entrar en pile-ups grandes con suma facilidad y ¡sólo 100w.!
-La resistencia al viento, después de dos o tres galernas soportadas, es grande. No sufrió ninguna rotura ni deformación y ya hubo ráfagas cercanas a 170 km/h.

Ahora, prácticamente, no uso el amplificador para estas bandas y el equipo que uso es sencillo (TS450SAT) con lo cual, lo que de chaval me enseñaba mi amigo, que en paz descanse, Braulio, EA1EJ, es así:
"El mejor amplificador es una buena antena"
¡Realmente os la aconsejo!
Saludos cordiales,