Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Yaesu ATAS-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu ATAS-100
Yaesu ATAS-100 Reviews: 66 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $325.00
Description: Motorized Mobile Screwdriver Antenna 40M-70cm
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Yaesu ATAS-100.

W5PFG Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2013 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Going strong after 13 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this secondhand in 2000 from a local ham, along with a Yaesu FT-100 transceiver. This was in New England, southeastern Massachusetts.

After running mobile for 8 years on two different vehicles (2000-2008,) I retired it.

Fast forward to 2013. I'm back in my native Texan and traveling on the road a lot for work. I wanted to install the FT-100, which had long become my "go-bag" radio. I set out to buy a new mobile setup. Looking back on the ease of installing the Yaesu, I snagged an FT-857D radio. Instead of a new ATAS-120, I thought to myself why not try to the ATAS-100? I brought it out of retirement. The coil had come off its tracks internally and was an easy fix. After a little polishing up, it's as good as new.

March 25, 2013 I put it on the car for a test run. On 17m I contacted France, Italy, Cuba, and Austria from Texas. Solid 5x7 reports from them and a 5x9 on them.

Is this the end-all be-all antenna for HF mobile? Heck no.

Is it easy to use and have fun on some bands? Yes.

There are much better solutions but I've been very happy with the performance of the ATAS and radio combination.

AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 01:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna works great. Only thing extra I would prefer is for it to handle more power.

I've used it on and off in differet vehicles. Tried a big legal limit Tarheel screddriver and 100 watts I think the ATAS-100 was better since the big antenna ends up having the Jeep eating more of the signal than the ATAS-100 that can be located on the top rear of the Cherokee. I've worked europe and the middle east when it came to big guns and it was mobile so the ATAS does get out but I'm sure 9K2GS and the germans, spanish, french and british I talked to had healthy antennas too. It was during the bands low that we are still in but we all know how openings go.

What I advise is to have a can of spray on silicone for when you store the antenna and another spraying down of the rubber boot when you pull it out of storage. I do deployments so the antenna and gear sit for extended periods. Antenna still function great after around 13 years. Rubber boot is still going strong.

If you have problems getting out make sure the base of the antenna is grounded good. You can put a plate under the allen screws of the mount and have wire from that plate to ground if you are worried about busting into the paint for a ground at the base. You can even pinch a ground wire between the plate and allen srews. That's how I've always done it with multiple cars. Also make sure the base isn't obstructed by the car. The antenna can take more wind load than any mounting base so don't worry about having the antenna located away from parts of the car that block wind.

Yaesu makes great gear. The antenna is a keeper. I just wish it would handle bigger power.

KC7YRA Rating: 1/5 Jun 26, 2011 19:08 Send this review to a friend
BLECK!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these when it first came out. I was able to make some contacts on 15 meters and up. That's why I gave it a 1 instead of a 0.

The antenna itself failed several times. From the threads tearing out of the mount, to it completely stopping working. I eventually threw it in the dump.

Unless the new 120 is FAR FAR FAR better, I wouldn't touch one of these with a 100ft stick.

G8JNJ Rating: 3/5 May 7, 2011 10:05 Send this review to a friend
OK on some bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All,

Finally got around to measuring the loss associated with the loading coil on this antenna.

Measured the field strength with a spectrum analyser in comparision to a 1/4 wave vertical. Both antennas ground mounted and fed against 10 mixed length buried radials. Ground loss resistance measured as 15 Ohms.

Used EZNEC to calculate theoretical gain difference between antenna same size as ATS 100 and 1/4 wave.

Used these values and mesured difference in field strength to estimate loss in tuning coil.

7.0MHz approx 6.5dB Loss
10.1MHz approx 6.7dB Loss
14.1MHz approx 2.3dB Loss
18.1MHz approx 0.8dB Loss
21.1MHz approx 0.4dB Loss
24.9MHz approx 0.3dB Loss
28.5MHz approx 1.5dB Loss
50.5MHz approx 0.8dB Loss

Looks like performance has been optimised for mid HF bands.

I would expect the ATS 120 to be similar.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

KB9K Rating: 3/5 Jul 24, 2010 08:06 Send this review to a friend
A+ Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used this small screw driver antenna and it just works great. Well all was great until I sold my FT-100 and got IC-706. Unless you use a controller (manual or auto) to tune this antenna there is no other way to use this antenna with other rig other than yaesu.

Did anyone try to modify this antenna to simply connect this motor directly to a switch and 12V power in order to move it and tune the coil? Before I start digging in into it I would like to know if someone already did it and how?

Thanks for reading and 73
Jovan KB9K

WZ3O Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2010 18:48 Send this review to a friend
NIce Mini Screwdriver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought a used ATAS 100, replaced my Opek HVU-100 (ironic numbering), like the extra bands. Both do DX with my FT-857D, antenna mounted on my Black F150 Pickups front passenger door front edge abt halfway up. Tuning takes a while longer than my Opek but work very well....Black on Black, looks like a "covert" vehicle HiHi.....SO far so good, would give it a 4.5 if possible....

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 09:52 Send this review to a friend
I LOVE IT !!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i've had this antenna for about 1 month now and worked my very first mobile dx contact on it (caracas, venezuela). a day later made a 2nd mobile dx contact (italy). i also have a homemade screw driver antenna (looks like a tarheel) and it works a little better. but for the size, i would use the atas 100. stateside contacts are very easy, almost always 20 over s9.
must be grounded really good for proper operation.
this antenna is a keeper.

N5EPI Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2008 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Perfect For FT-100D  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is my first HF Mobile ant. It works great with my FT-100D. From 40m-6M. It takes a little time to tune but after it tuned I can check it with my Palstar and it is 1:1 SWR. I use it on a Wilson quick disconnect trunk mount. I found out from day one run a ground wire as short as you can get to the mount. If you have a FT-100 FT-857 FT-897 You will love this ATAS-100.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2008 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Mine works  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd ATAS 100 and it works identical to the first one, auto tunes all bands including WARC to below 1.5 to 1. To the other posters complaining that it won't tune properly, you must ground this antenna for it to work and do not expect much out of any HF antenna on mag mounts!

I use this one daily from 40 to 6 meters, 2m and 70cm performance is poor and you will be better served with a dual bander up there. But for ease of operation and performance, you just can't beat the ATAS 100, they work!

G0UAA Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2007 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Atas Drain Hole ?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi I've just picked up a FT857D with a Atas-120, Ive had a setup like this before but it had a 120A with it. I carn't remember if the 120A had a drain hole ? and whats the diferance between the 120 and the 120A ? This 120 seems to be doing what its supposed to do, UP & Down with no trouble. Any info please to Ian G0UAA E-mail poohma@ntlworld.com.

Ps. I do like the little flashing Blue light when tuned bang on to the CW/Data Signal
On the 857 of course.