Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Ham Stick by Lakeview Co. Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Stick by Lakeview Co.
Ham Stick by Lakeview Co. Reviews: 106 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Big performance, small package
More info: http://www.hamstick.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Stick by Lakeview Co..

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Worked Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a set of 10,12,15,17,20,40,& 75 meter ham Sticks & never had an issue with them.They all worked great & were much better in performance than the Yaesu ATAS-120A that I also owned.Shame they went out of business.Only problem was having a way to carry the extra antennas when not in use but they did their job when installed & two of them combined for the same band makes a great rotatable dipole as well. {:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

KD5OM Rating: 3/5 Nov 30, 2013 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Required Surgery  Time owned: more than 12 months
These are good for the money you spend on them. You can't beat that. However, my 20 meter antenna just went bad. I noticed the shaft of the antenna turning on the bottom threaded metal part where apparently it was glued has come apart and the wire broke from the bottom threaded part. I got my pocket knife out and removed a little of the heat shrink and then I had to solder a fresh piece of wire back to the threaded part to the wire inside the antenna. A small dab of JB Weld to glue it back together. Slipped a fresh piece of heat shrink over the repair and we're back on the air. Any Ham could make this repair it's just that I shouldn't have to.

NJ6K Rating: 2/5 Mar 30, 2013 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I used them mobile on 20,40. 80 m Hf the bases become loose and wont tune . save your money and buy a better antenna

N4YX Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2012 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Have Used 'Em for EONs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally wore out the original 40m hamstick I bought years ago at Dayton from the man [BUM] himself. Have used the "sticks" all bands CW/m & SSB/m for many years. If needed can be matched to SWR unity at the antenna with alligator clipped matching capacitor. Bottom Line: Lakeview is excellent!

N4GRF Rating: 3/5 Sep 29, 2012 03:55 Send this review to a friend
Probably Doing It Wrong  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a couple of Ham-Sticks (20,17,10). After all, they are inexpensive. First, I installed the 20M on my balcony rail. Ran two radials down the rail perpendicular to the antenna. Antenna analyzer placed resonance at 13+ MHZ. Could raise the resonant frequency much above 14 by adjusting the stinger. Thought about physically shortening, but tried another installation on the back of my SUV. Good ground connection into the frame of this 6,000 lb beast. Better, but still no resonance in 20M band. Ok, what am I doing wrong?

Tom N4GRF

W3SQE Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2011 07:49 Send this review to a friend
No problems here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 10,20 and 40M stick with the four magnet 376 mount for the roof of my Honda Element. I quickly tuned the 10M stick and got Costa Rica, North Dakota and Texas from WV w/ my Icom 735. The 20M stick also tuned easily and I have usable SWR (<1.4:1) across all of both 10/20. I bought the inducta-match to help the 40M stick and get the SWR flat but the bandwidth is smaller and you need to reset the stinger length for the lower or higher side of that band. I just set mine for 7.2 and its fine all over the band although the SWR can get high on say 7.260 but my radio has no problem with it. I rated these 5/5 because even though there are better antennas out there they cost a lot more and present tougher installation scenarios than the hamsticks on my Element. Hamsticks can't be beat for the $$ and unlike some others I had very good customer service encounters.

K3DOS Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2011 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Work well, but a little inconvenient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They work well, but they're inconvenient when you need to QSY. An interesting feature is that a single base may be used with whips of different lengths to cover multiple bands. For example the 12 meter Hamstick works well on 10 and 12 meters, the 60 meter Hamstick works well on 40 and 60 meters and the 30 meter Hamstick performs well on 20 and 30 meters. There's no need to purchase a dedicated Hamstick for each of those bands.

LA4UOA Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2011 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one of the best mobile ant for this price,i used mine 7 years,never a problem.On 20m swr is ok over all .
Have worked lots of dx on it ,just remember good grounding.On 80m a tuner helps for more bandwid.

WC3O Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2011 08:42 Send this review to a friend
The way to fly  Time owned: more than 12 months
Howdy

The name “Hamstick” belongs to Lakeview. I read a lot here about MFJ Hamstick? Not the same. I have used Lakeview’s “real” version of the Hamstick as well as other versions. The Lakeview is the way to go, in my opinion. In my truck I have used the Lakeview 20 meter Hamstick for years. I don’t get good results, I get unbelievable results! 100 watts to a Hamstick on the bumper with CW I have worked the world. JAs, VKs, you name it. I have busted DX pile-ups and more. I have used the 40 meter stick, but with so-so results, but then again my installation is not what they recommend (being mouunted low on the bumper of a pick-up truck). 20 meters? Forget about it! That thing kicks butt! The other thing I like about them is that they are cheap. If it gets whacked or stolen, for around $30 bucks I have a new one! For the price, you just can’t beat them. As I said, I recommend the Lakeview Hamstick over the other imitators. Gud luck and gud DX

DE WC3O

KG4RUL Rating: 3/5 May 5, 2011 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Not the best design  Time owned: more than 12 months
As noted by others, it is a PITA to remove the stinger when transporting the antennas. The equivalent MFJ antennas are superior in this respect. Otherwise, either brand works as expected.