Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Ham Stick by Lakeview Co. Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Stick by Lakeview Co.
Ham Stick by Lakeview Co. Reviews: 106 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: Big performance, small package
More info: http://www.hamstick.com/

You can write your own review of the Ham Stick by Lakeview Co..

KI6EQW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2010 15:51 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed both 2M, and 20M on vehicle (Humvee H1). Using MFJ meter got 1:1.5 on both in less than 10 minutes. Easy to install, and adjust, and works well. All for under $100.

W1MBB Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2010 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Hamstick dipole THUMBS UP!!  Time owned: months
I have two hamtsick dipoles for 40 meters and 20 meters mounted on a mast mounted to the balcony railing on my fifth story condo. Works great!

Very wide bandwidth and low swr on 20, narrower bandwidth on 40.

I work dx with this great little setup. I used the DAKAD mount from R&L. I found that the Lakeview sticks work better than the knockoffs from workman, jetstream etc.

One suggestion is to use a choke balun. I had problems tuning on 40 did some research and added a simple unun balun made from palomar ferrites. Worked like a charm.

These antennas work as well as those portable antennas, I've tried buddipole, TW, Super antennas etc. None beats this simple and cost-effective antenna.

Hamstick dipoles are tops in my book!

K8ESE Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2010 09:17 Send this review to a friend
HAMSTICK DIPOLE OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got the original "Hamstick" antennas in dipole configuration for all bands. They all work outstanding with great results.

I used my MFG 259B to adjust the SWR on each band...I do not need an antenna tuner. I can work any station I can hear on any band with nice reports. I have worked Europe, South America, the Pacific (you name it), and lots of other dx and stateside stations.

I am very happy with the hamstick dipole!!

I got a 21' hvy duty aluminum telescoping mast which I can slide down to 4 ft! I mount this mast into a metal heavy duty base used for an umbrella for patio furniture (I got this at Home Depot). It works out outstanding. The hamstick dipole is quick to mount, quick to dismantle, lightweight, and no mess. This hamstick dipole is rotatable and does not take up hardly any room...and the reports FANTASTIC!!!

I carried the whole system (mast and all) in the trunk of my car to Field Day 2010. It took me 5 minutes to put the antenna up and connect my radios and BAM, I was on the air! My first pre contest contact was Budapest, Hungary on 40 mtrs CW..got a 589 report and he was also a 589....darn good! During the FD contest, I made contact with EVERY station I called from W1 to W6 and Canada. I ended up with over 200 CW contacts running 100w with the hamstick dipole....GREAT ANTENNA!

K6AAX Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2010 13:06 Send this review to a friend
40 Meter Hamstick  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not sure what some of the negative comments are about. Perhaps you are not grounding the antenna properly. The antenna costs $30 or something like that...geesh. You need to make sure that your mount is firmly attached to your vehicle's metal frame, not fiberglass or rubber. I have a Kenwood 570D that I converted to mobile use and purchased a trunk mount for my sedan and connected the 40 meter hamstick. On the 7.178 net, I worked FL, ID, NB, MS, OH and more mobile from CA, with 100 watts. Call me crazy, but I thought that this was pretty strong for a HF 40 meter mobile whip in the car. It is not a yagi, but try putting a 40 meter yagi on your car. That's would be funny to see though...talk about wide load. With the automatic antenna tuner, I was able to maintain a 1:1 match on the entire phone band without any adjustments to the hamstick. It was 1:5-1 at 7.178 before I used the tuner. PLUG & PLAY...Had a blast!!!!

9K2FM Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2009 15:01 Send this review to a friend
good performance for mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi ,
I bought the Ham Stik Antenna From Dayton Hamvention 2009 With My Best Friend Tareq (9k2AC ) .
I installed a The Antenna on my GMC Track for use with an IC-706MKIIG . I have had Hamsticks for 20/40 & 80 M , And The VSWR It's
1.1 From ( 14.100 -14.240 MHZ ) in 20M . And
in 40M ( From 7.020 - 7.200 ) 1.1 To 1.2 in My SWR METER The DWAIWA CN-410M .

My First Experience With A41OD Ahmed From Oman
And A61sa & a61R Rashed & 9k2MU & 9K2GS Abdullah
And All The 240 Groupe . And Also 59 in UK .

In Africa I Have A Nice Report 59++ In South Africa , The Antenna It's Work Very Nice .

I bought my first Antenna is High Sierra Sidekick 2006 .

I would recommend these antennas to anyone .

Thanks & 73
Ayesh - 9k2FM
KUWAIT

K3HVG Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2009 13:29 Send this review to a friend
Seems to be OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my 75m Hamstick mounted on an '08 Kia via a HD ball-mount on the side. With my installation, the tuning chart was about 7" on the high side thus tuned to 3540 kHZ before any pruning. Three prunes brought it up to 3885 with a VSWR of 2.0:1 at 30 Ohms. Not too bad, but very narrow banded as one might expect. Will use it with the Yaesu FT-897D and LDG tuner. Antenna bought from HRO, so no contact with factory, at this point. Hope springs eternal......

W5LXG Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2009 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted a glowing review on "Sticks" sometime back.
My installation is simple and basic: I use a modified (to improve)MFJ three magnet mount sitting on the roof of my Chrysler. It is easy enough to remove the Stick(s) when it is time to garage the vehicle since I use quick disconnect fittings on the Sticks and mount.
The key word is "remove". I recently forgot I had a stick on the roof mount and drove into the garage! Please don't get the idea that the magmount is easy to remove from the roof. It is difficult and I need some sort of prying device to remove mine.
The stick held fast to the mount and even lifted the mag mount off the roof, tilting it 90 degrees so that the stick was mostly horizontal!
The Stick was slightly scuffed where it contacted the edge of the garage, but otherwise was undamaged.
I suspect the somewhat flexible shaft allowed this miracle. This is not an indorsement to try this trick yourself. 73

KE5OQV Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2009 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Update on 20m Hamstick dipole  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to an earlier review I wrote about the Hamstick dipole (2-20m hamsticks mounted on the dipole union). It performed well and I heard lots of stations but I felt that the s/n ratio could be improved by getting the antenna higher.

I purchased a 24 ft extension pole at Home Depot and mounted the hamstick dipole union of top using plastic tiewraps. I then extened the hamstick dipole to 35 feet above the ground (10 ft above my roof line) and strapped the pole to my balcony.

The results were amazing. Not only were more signals heard but the s/n ratio improved greatly. With a background noise of S6, the bulk of the signals were heard at S9 to 20db over S9.

The bandwidth is still fairly narrow (100 kc) but the performance is much better.

KC5NWS Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2009 09:07 Send this review to a friend
works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought and put to use a 30m ham stick and it works fine.Its ground mounted with 4 , 16 foot radials and is used with a ohr 30m qrp rig.I like to take it to the local park and set the rig up on a table.Works for me.
k5jyd

NW9T Rating: 4/5 Feb 23, 2009 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had Ham Stick copies in the past and they worked well, but the only way to truly measure them is to compare directly with the original Ham Stick. I received my Ham Stick several days ago and stuck it on my MFJ Tri-Mag mount on top of my car. The first time I used it I was able to contact a station in France during their contest this last weekend, impressed. Today when I arrived home I found the set screws had loosened and the stinger had slipped down inside the antenna. A quick call to Lakeview told me how to test to make sure I hadn't severed a wire inside the antenna, warnings of this happening are clearly printed on the label. Luckily no damage done. I reset the SWR and made contact with a station in the Canary Islands, again impressive for a mobile antenna. I'm happy with it, except I echo the concerns of KD5ALU's review previously of replacing the slot type set screws with SS hex screws which I'll do before running mobile again.