Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Mizuho KX-QRP Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho KX-QRP
Mizuho KX-QRP Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $approx 80 (10,000)
Description: QRP manual antenna coupler (tuner)

You can write your own review of the Mizuho KX-QRP.

PA5BAS Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2003 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Fine little tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After a few weeks of use, I'm still very happy with my Mizuho KX-QRP tuner. It works just fine, the tuning works really smooth. Inside it looks fine too. Looking at the size of the cabinet, and the used variable C's I would think that Mizuho could use somewhat bigger C's, in order to get the specs up to 20 Watts or so. I'm using the tuner now together with my FT-817 and SG-2020, and I'would recommend it to everybody who is into QRP. Great work Mizuho! How about a 20 watts version? I'll take one! : )

ON4MGY Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2003 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Real great tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm using this little tuner with my FT-817 and a simple piece of antenna wire of only 8 meters. I can tune this wire from 80m to 10m where SWR is always very close to 1/1. Tunning is very easy and happens in just a few seconds. Much easier than with my QRO tuner from Daiwa.It's just that easy. Just working around the world with this setup.
Nice, compact and very good tuner for qrp use. Take your FT-817, Mizuho KX-QRP and a piece of antenna wire out to the field and you can enjoy a day of great fun.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2002 09:42 Send this review to a friend
Beautifully made little antenna tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mizuho introduced the KX-QRP in 2001 to capitalize on the popularity of the Yaesu FT-817. (The FT-817 is even mentioned in the manual.) What they produced is a very small manual antenna tuner sized to fit perfectly sitting under your FT-817. Of course, it works perfectly well with any other QRP rig, and I happen to use mine with Mizuho and Tokyo Hy-Power rigs. The appearance is your typical spartan Mizuho look, similar to their FX series transceivers.

The tuner has inputs for coax and wire antennas, and has four controls in the front: a bandswitch and three knobs for tuning. The unit works from 1.8-30MHz as you'd expect, with a very conservatively rated power handling capacity of 5W. I had no problem getting a 1:1 SWR operating my MX-10Z 10m handheld into my 40m dipole with the tuner. I also tuned the long wire I use for shortwave listening on several bands and also had no problem.

What stands out about this tuner is the way it is constructed. Yes, you can get a comparable MFJ for less money. Look at how the two are built and you won't want the MFJ. This is one tough little unit, and it should last a very long time indeed. Why a manual tuner? Well, power consumption is zero, right?

Speaking of cost, mine came to $78 plus $15 shipping from Japan. The price varies with the exchange rate, of course. IMHO, it is worth it. This will be my travel tuner from now on.

Normally I wait quite a few months before reviewing something I own, but I think you can evaluate an antenna tuner pretty quickly. I'm quite pleased with this one.