Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Mizuho MK-610 Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho MK-610
Mizuho MK-610 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1 watt 6 meter AM/CW portable transceiver from the 1970s

You can write your own review of the Mizuho MK-610.

KU4QD Rating: 2/5 May 22, 2002 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Curious little rig, not very practical today  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The note that came with the Mizuho MK-610 manual I ordered for my rig says the rig dates from 1976. If that date had been earlier I would have believed it. The MK-610 looks a lot like a Heathkit HW-8, but most of the internal space is taken up by a C-cell battery holder, much like an Icom IC-502. Unlike the Icom, though, the MK-610 is an AM/CW transceiver and doesn't do SSB.

I used mine on CW a few times, and the receiver is OK. My main complaint with this rig is that the tuning is very coarse, with just a few revolutions of the very small dial to cover 50-52 MHz. You need the fingers of a safe cracker to tune to a desired signal. Once tuned, though, operation is simple and straightforward. Receiver sensitivity is fine, and selectivity is acceptable for 6 meters. Audio quality seems to be fine, too.

I finally traded mine to someone who is more of a Mizuho fanatic than even I am for something I actually use. I hope he enjoys it. I found the rig to be a wonderful curiosity and an interesting collectors item. For practictal operatin there are many better choices, even among old Japanese 6m AM portables.