Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Optibeam OB16-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB16-3
Optibeam OB16-3 Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,600
Description: Top-of-Line Performance triband yagi for 20/15/10
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB16-3.

FRANK_NORTON_EX_W8HO Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2002 00:03 Send this review to a friend
Quality to top all others  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the OB16-3 since January. I purchased it after discussions with Thomas-the designer/company owner, on the advice of my friend Jay T. wx0b of Array Solutions. Since there were no others in service in the U.S.A. at that time I relied mainly on Jay' word. As usual, his advice was reliable.

My OB16-3 is by far the premier antenna of all yagis, or other style antennas in the past 20 years of being a ham. All aspects from construction to performance are outstanding.

It is truly a large yagi-but well worth the space! If you can handle the size and cost factors of putting up an antenna this size-- you will not regret going with Optibeam!

WB2YL Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2002 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Optibeam a new name in the US market place  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

The Optibeam. OB16-3. I have had an Optibeam OB16- 3 up for about 5 months now. First I must say I have never seen such a good job of packing. About 60% of the antenna was already put together. No looking for nuts and bolts in a big bag. All the elements were inserted together inside of each other. Ever piece of tubing was marked. Where to place the elements on the boom was clearly marked. No need to make any measurements on the antenna. Anyone could put this antenna together without getting into trouble. I have found that all the claims as far as gain and F/B ratio are very true. Over all I am very happy with the way the antenna performs. The SWR curve is very good across the band. So far this antenna has survived one heavy windstorm with 50 mph plus winds that did so much damage here I had no power for 2 whole days. This antenna has not been with out problem but as they have been identified the manufacturer has been willing to make the needed changes. There have been upgrades to the driven elements, element tips mast to boom bracket. And there are a few more revisions on the way. All of the parts have been supplied free of charge by Optibeam I have found Jay of Array solutions to be a excellent person to deal with when ever I had any questions or concerns about the Optibeam Jay was there to help set things straight so donít be worried about buying this antenna because you never heard of it. It truly is all itís claimed to be. And Array solution stands behind what they sell more to come in the future. Laura WB2YL

K1UO Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2002 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Performance Plus!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is by far the best Triband antenna I have ever owned. I am anxious to add the OB7-2 WARC antenna to round out the system.

For those of you who saw the antennas at Dayton, there is no need to mention the very fine HD construction and first rate craftsmanship that goes into these antennas. For me as a first time purchaser, sight unseen, the quality of construction was very impressive and best of all the antenna is very easy to assemble. no measuring required. All hardware is stainless steel and all boom and element connections are bolted...no self tapping screws or hose clamps to fool with. The element length positions are predrilled. Just for kicks, I measured the element sections after assembly and all were exactly as shown on the simple, easy to follow, assembly manual. For the faint of heart though it should be noted that this antenna is not easy to manhandle! A crane was used to lift the approximately 100lb finished weight beast to the top of a 70ft tower. Oh yes, I should mention the antenna seems to be very well balanced also as we picked the antenna and mast up at the boom/mast mounting bracket and it never deviated from level while being lifted by the crane.

This is the first antenna I have ever owned that was an immediate 'hit' with the Alpha 87A. SWR levels are below what was advertised..at least here on my installation which is mounted on a 70ft Rohn 45 tower all by itself.
Worst case SWR readings here was 1:3:1 on the CW end of 20 meters and never above 1:2:1 at any other point on the 20/15/10 meter bands! I used the center drilled holes on the driven elements but this antenna can be tuned to favor the CW or Phone ends of the bands by utilizing either of the other predrilled driven element holes.
I should also mention this is a single feedline antenna using a patented feed system to seperate full size driven elements.

For the short time I have owned this antenna, the performance and electrical claims of the manufacturer have all been met or exceeded. Actual on air reports and tests have been very encouraging and I don't come away with any feelings of dissapointment. Now we will have to wait and see what the tests of Winter (and contesting) bring!

73 de K1UO