Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Optibeam OB11-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Optibeam OB11-3
Optibeam OB11-3 Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1040
Description: Performant yagi designed as stacked monobander for 20/15/10 with patented feed system. Optimized computer designed German yagi without traps and with full size elements. The OB11-3 has 3 el on 20, 3 el on 15 and 5 el on 10 meters on a 6 meter boom. A winner performer !
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the Optibeam OB11-3.

OH2WC Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2006 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Best buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used TH6 for more than 20 years and about 3 years ago I had two choices, to fix the old antenna or to find new one. I was looking Tri-band beam with good performance and resistance for adverse wx conditions. My QTH locates within 45 min flight from the Arctic Circle.

I made careful studies to find a suitable antenna. While hosting one of the top WRTC-teams (2002), I got very professional information and experiences of different antennas. During the choice process, I found that Tom (designer of Optibeam) was very capable of co-operation to give the answers to my needs and questions.

So I decided to take OB11-3 to replace the old TH6. It has been a success story and a great delight from early beginning to this day and to the future, I assume.

I was the first customer to buy Optibeam antennas here in Finland, but not the last.

Delivery on time, good documentation, easy to assemle and after nearly three years of operating experience (Dxing or rag chewing), all the granted electrical and mechanical performance characteristics have been fulfilled.

Few years ago I got also interested in WARC-bands and with a help of Tom, I found perfect solution for my WARC-antenna needs. That is another story on another forum (OB7-2WARC).

Thanks Tom, you have designed a great, modern antenna with good performance.

If you need any further information of my installation, pse email oh2wc@sral.fi

ON4CIS Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2006 06:51 Send this review to a friend
great antenna !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own the antenna since last summer and like in the other reviews I can only say it's a superb antenna ! Before the optibeam I used a mosley ta34xl and I have to say there is no comparison. Nothing but trouble with the mosley, bad swr, no front to back, no feedback from the factory whatsoever.
The optibeam is peanuts to put together, used materials are class A, and it works like 3 monobanders on one boom. I have a 3 elements monobander for 17m on top of it, only 1.5m above and there is little or no influence at all.
Feedback from Tom is great ! Any question or remark is answered within 24 hours.

keep up the good work Tom !

GU4WTN Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2005 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent antenna, outstanding engineering, super documentation....
What more can I say!
Makes the old 6 ele tribander seem like a wet noodle.
Look forward to busting those pile-ups in the next contest.

Well done Tom.

IK4PKN Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2004 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
...THIS IS EXTRACT FROM MY EMAIL TO Mr. TOM...
I'm very happy to have choice this antenna Tom.
I have participated in the cqww dx making only 200 qsos, but has been very beautiful to see every time that I called to feel immediately to answer in the pile up.
I can finally affirm to now have a ANTENNA!!!really spectacular as works in 10m and exceptional in the 15 and 20m... good characteristics of directionality also in 20 m.
73 to all
Paolo IK4PKN Forli ITALY

OE6TGD Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2004 13:54 Send this review to a friend
My previous trap-tribander was a dummy load  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using this antenna for more than 1 1/2 year and I am very, very pleased with it. No problems to assembly (if you are interested in some fotos, pse email!), easy installation and perfect SWR. No mechanical problems during an extreme winter storm, but my old KenPro KR-600 rotator crashed.

I am operating my JST-135 with max. 200W and I clearly can say: "What I copy, I can work...", even in big pile-ups! And mostly on the first call - absolutly new experience for me; seems working with a linear...

I remember a qso on 10: the antenna was pointing to JA - 3DA0TM was reported in the cluster, tuning in the frequency, nothing heard; turning the beam via the Indian Ocean to South Africa and within the last few degrees I heard Andy with a S7-9 signal. First call and "tnx fer the new one"... +/- 30 degrees off and with opposite direction no signal heard!

I am qrv since 1981, starting with home made dipoles, changing to an german-made traped tribander. First, I thought "doing a fine job" (against the dipoles, of course), but now, after nearly 20 years changing to the OB11-3, I must say, the previous "antenna" was a dummy load.

If you intend to buy a new beam, don't worry about the 11 elements. On the top of a tower or about 5 meters above the roof of my 2 floor house it looks fine and meanwhile I think about an upgrade to the OB16-3 or even OB12/17-4...

Congrats to OPTIBEAM - job perfect done.

73, Gerhard, OE6TGD

email: oe6tgd@hotmail.com

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 13:02 Send this review to a friend
like having 3 monobanders  Time owned: more than 12 months
My OB3/11 was the first to be delivered into Belgium. Nice components, good quality, well documented.

The antenna delivers bigtime, it's like having 3 monobanders on one boom. Mine resides at 16 meters and although I'd love to have it a little higher for 20 meters, DX on 20 is superb as is on 15 and 10 meters.

this type runs great pile ups, cuts trough in contests and can handle much more than the legale limits ...

- good F/B and F/S
- good gain
- fantastic VSWR
- easy installation

I recommend this antenna for sure.

DL2MDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2003 16:23 Send this review to a friend
I would buy it again!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a few days before the WAEDX-Contest (CW) I have received the package with the new antenna. It was an OptiBeam 11-3 (11 Elements - 3 Bands). The assemblage took about 6 hours. Plenty of screws and nuts in the plastic bags with all the hardware. But I found out with every part I held in my hands that is
"Made in Germany" and worth the price. All tubes and the boom were clearly marked and the instruction manual understandable. No wonder why I've got more contacts in the contest and could push through the pileups even
with 100 Watts. The electrical connections are unique in durability and the guaranty for years of trouble-free service.

G4ZWY Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2003 03:17 Send this review to a friend
QUALITY!!!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well the aerial went together like a dream,all parts are well marked and the assembly was easy.The build is very robust and the aerial looks really good on the tower.
The SWR is really good across all bands and it tunes well on 40M with a tuner.
First call with the beam only at 40 Feet or 12Mtrs I was 5 and 9 into San Diego California on 20 M band.
The following day on 15M with the antenna at 50 feet or 15 Mtrs I called CQ twice and was called by numerous YB/YC (Indonesia) stations all reporting 5/9+ signals this with only 100 watts.
This is a quality aerial and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
Anyway thanks to OPTIBEAM for a quality product.The previous aerial I used was a Cushcraft A4S and the 11-3 is way way ahead in performance and build.
THANKS.

SV1CRX Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2003 06:02 Send this review to a friend
BIG EARS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna very easy put up the tower
very solid work ,here in Athens we had a bad wether before 20 days many antennas broke down and towers also from other hams I was very afraid cause it was only 1 month old but everything goes well...
suport from Tom (owner of optibeam)was excelent to help with anything you can ask
perfonmance is great on the air
you can hear me to see for your own at 14251 mhz