Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | QST view CDROM Help

Reviews Summary for QST view CDROM
QST view CDROM Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $$19.95 to 39.95
Description: Back issues of QST on a CD that takes up less space than
5 pounds of paper magazines per year!
More info: http://www.ARRL.Net

You can write your own review of the QST view CDROM.

AD5X Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2006 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good info, poor software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give it a "5" for the content, which is great and that's what I bought it for. But only a "1" for the viewing software (AView). If you want to put it on your hard drive, everything must be put on the root directory - i.e. no subdirectory access from AView! I also have CD ROM sets for Ham Radio Magazine, QEX, and Communications Quarterly. The folders in these CD ROM sets all have the same names (folder names are the year numbers) as those on QST View, so you can't mix these different CD ROM sets on the same drive, unless you first partition the drive. When I asked when the AView software would be changed to permit subdirectory access, I was told "No time soon."

KF0RT Rating: 3/5 May 16, 2004 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Could be a lot better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll rate this a 3, cutting the ARRL a little slack because the scans on the older sets were done before this sort of thing was popular and easy to do. In reality, it probably deserved a 4 in 1997 (when these first came out) and a 2-3 today.

I bought two sets, 1970-1974 and the 1915-1929 set (fascinating to read). The scans from the 1915-1929 set are better than the 70-74 set. I've found numerous pages in the later set that are either slanted, shifted or are too light to read completely, even zoomed in. The software on the earlier sets (I understand they've gone to PDF files more recently) isn't very good, but after a little "learning" works okay. I should mention that one of my interests in getting the 70-74 set was the contest results, which is done in small print.

It's obvious that this was done in the Windows 3.1 days. On my XP machine, the program switches the display system to 256-color. Not very well behaved! It seems to switch things back when you exit the program, but still...

All the content is there -- every page and most of it is easy to read. The photos, in general, are abysmal, and this includes the cover art. The line art (schematics, etc.) seems to be okay.

I hope the original scans are better and were just dumbed down to save CD space.

This is a great idea and I'm glad the ARRL did it. For me, it's well worth the $39.95, but in 2004, they could do a MUCH better job. The ARRL really needs to do this project over, using today's technology. When I first saw these, I was thinking of buying the whole set, over time. Now, I think I'll buy one more and leave it at that.

WB2LCW Rating: 2/5 Dec 9, 2003 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Needs to be re done  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I liked the year 2000 and newer QST view cd roms
very much!But I recently bought some earlier versions. and they were not that good they were not saved in Adobe PDF format and the qualiy of the scanned pages were hard to read..I hope the people at newington will redo these earlier versions..I wanted to get rid of my eaely issues of QST but now I will keep the magazines anyway.

KD7KCP Rating: 0/5 Nov 23, 2003 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Info Great, Image Quality Awful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased the QST-view 1970-1974. The information is great, lots of fun to see all the old advertisements. It seems to have more info on home brew projects than the QST of today, but the image quality is absolutely terrible. There obviously has been no effort into quality control. The words are very hard to read because each of the letters have a considerable amount of the image missing. The ARRL should be ashamed; at $39.95, it's only fair to expect a much a better product than this. The ARRL has earned a 5 for the info and has earned 0 for quality. The earned average is a 0 because one has to factor in the nerve it takes to charge $39.95 while at the same time putting no effort into the quality of the product.

AD7DB Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2001 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Good but not in color, mediocre search capability  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The CDROM idea is great, but nothing's in color.
They are stored on scanned TIF files, and there is no general text search for text contained in the article. Just for titles and so on.
Please see my more detailed review with screen shots at http://www.qsl.net/ad7db/qst_cd.html

Nevertheless, I have 1940-1965 now and plan to add more later.

Dave AD7DB

WB2LCW Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2001 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great for people who are short of space for back issues!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a copy of the "QST View" CDrom for the year 2000 to check out the resolution and readability of the back issues scanned into these cdroms. I have back issues of QST going back to the month I was born (1946)! This colection takes up much room in my shack! Also the weight of them is a couple of hundred pounds.

I find myself going thru the old issues several times a year .Whenever I start working on a project to check past designs or to not waste time re-inventing the wheel!

I am pleased with the quality of the scanned material and the resolution of the text and pictures. The Issues are saved in Adobe Acrobat format which allows you to print pages or zoom in on the photos in a article. I plan to replace 80 percent of my QST's in the next few weeks and sell off the back issues.

You can save money if you order from Duane Heisse
aa6ee see www.radiodan.com/aa6ee/ he discounts Ham publications and books and Callbook and qrz cdroms.