Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Idiom Press RotorCard - Yaesu DXA Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press RotorCard - Yaesu DXA
Idiom Press RotorCard - Yaesu DXA Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: Computer control interface for Yaesu DXA rotators
More info: http://www.idiompress.com

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press RotorCard - Yaesu DXA.

N4FNB Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2014 20:51 Send this review to a friend
I REALLY WANTED TO BUY ONE OF THESE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered a controller for my Yaesu G-800DXA almost

TWO MONTHS AGO and I get NO RESPONSE. They charged

my card the $149 so someone is collecting money. I

have emailed twice and get a message that their mail

box has not been set up when calling. LOOKS LIKE

I JUST GOT TOOK!! I thought QST ads were a safe

source. I wish I had seen the last post.

Don't send money until you hear from these people.

K8NOS Rating: 0/5 Mar 29, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
A great product but horrible customer service  Time owned: months
I ordered the USB version because my computer doesn't have a serial port but received the serial version (and it took almost a month after my credit card was charged).

I've called, emailed, and tried various ways to contact him (I guess Idiom Press is a one-man operation) but no luck.

So, I went on Amazon and bought a Serial to USB adaptor ($20) and got it to work.

I knew (because I had read the reviews)that I was taking a chance when I placed my order so the only thing I can say is that I should have known better. Caveat Emptor!

Sam

KC2TN Rating: 1/5 Jan 5, 2013 08:29 Send this review to a friend
DXA USB Interface  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this unit from Rob after conferring with him via email..
Once the purchase was made I had a few issues with configuring it due to misleading directiions but did get it to work eventually. However, the settings would not hold and I found myself reconfiguring the unit after unplugging the USB and redetecting the device several times. It would work for a while then I'd have to repeat the process. Eventually the unit stopped working altogether! I tried calling, emailing, voicemailing Rob for 2 months now with absolutely NO RESPONSE! OK, Maybe he was on vacation, sick, out of business, who knows! But after researching past issues with other customers I see this is a habitual behaviour! I was anxious to get this unit repaired so sent it back to Rob and got a delivering confirmation but STILL no word from him yet. I've got to say I've been pretty patient up to this point but have to wonder how anyone can stay in business with this type of customer relationship? Now I kow that others have had success with Rob in the past but they must have caught him when he was in a working mood. He seems to disappear for long periods with no warning. I would like to get my controller fixed and returned but in the mean time figured it best to warn others of what they may be getting into when purchasing from Idiom Press.

N2TU Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2012 16:23 Send this review to a friend
SUper Customer Service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not to rehash the previous reviews but simply said, this is a super product at a super price point.

A few days ago, we had a near lightning strike which took out some electronics in the shack. The RotorCard was involved. After contacting Rob, he had a good idea which parts went south and mailed me the chip and voltage regulator.

You can have the best product in the world but unless you stand behind it, why bother? Rob is top drawer! His product is aces and so is he!

AF6GL Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2012 12:25 Send this review to a friend
USB Version (New for 2012)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installation was very straight forward and no jumper. You insert the card like the serial version but instead of an internal jumper this is external. The installed card has two cables coming out of it. an approximate 4 foot USB cable and a 6 inch DIN cable. After installing the card, plug the DIN cable into your rotator, then plug the USB into the computer. Windows 7 recognized it and installed the driver included in Windows. There is a calibration procedure requiring a simple terminal program that the instructions tell you how to use. Quick and simple. The install and calibration took about 10 minutes. I use it with Windows 7 64 bit, HRD 5.11 and Yaesu G-800DXA.

** Note: Although the card rates a 5, the service rates a 0. I tried phone messages and emails, even encrypted as requested (poor business practice) and never got a response. They did send periodic email updates explaining the backorder but that was weeks after no acknowledgement of receipt of my order and was a generic email. Great product but I am seriously concerned with customer support if ever needed. **

G1HJW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says On the Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went for one of these because the reports on them are good both on EHam and other forums.

And another point which is a plus to most of us these days is the price its a lot cheaper than Yaesu's version which is somewhat over priced.

Its easy to set up, paper work is very helpful and guides you through step by step works with all the programs I have used with it and fits very nice inside the Yaesu controller no messy box out side.

Very much like the auto switch to slow speed when it comes to the end of the rotation great for reducing the strain on rotator and large antenna systems.

If your after a computer controlled Rotor this is the one to get :)

F5NBU Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
I recommend  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
i use it on Yaesu G-1000DXC.
really easy to install and configuration.
good product i recommend.

K6BR Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
3 years plus and working well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is great little board, it is easy to install and set up with the comprehensive supplied instructions. I use the card with my Yaesu G-1000DXA and as I use the station remotely from time to time I of course depend on the accuracy this board. It is great value for money when you consider the cost of the OEM board which is 500 dollars. Purchase one today and support the smaller Amateur Radio suppliers and keep them in business.

Mike

NF4L Rating: 2/5 Jan 4, 2010 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Problem discovered  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was initially very happy with ease of installation and calibration and use of the card.

I discovered a few months later that when I turn the rotor to the overlap area stop (265 d) with software, the manual paddle no longer works. I have to either turn it away from the stop using the computer, or turn the controller off, then back on to use the paddle.

If I turn it to the same stop using the paddle, I can turn it away from that heading using the paddle. A note to Idiom elicited the response that they weren't aware of the problem. A follow-up to Idiom asking if they thought it was a problem with the card, calibration error, or the Yaesu box itself elicited the response 'It's a feature'. Not what I wanted to hear from a responsible vendor.

AB2EZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2009 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product. The instructions are extremely well written (I'm a college professor). I had the card installed and calibrated in 15 minutes. The instructions remind me of the old Bell System Practices... "Place the meter on the table, face up..." in terms of anticipating possible points of confusion. I'm using it with the Ham Radio Deluxe: HRD Satellite Tracking application, in conjunction with HRD Rotator application. I'm using SatPC32 for controlling my Yaesu FT736R. With these three (3) applications running, my transmit and receive frequencies are automatically adjusted for Doppler, and my DXA-800 tracks the azimuth of the satellite.