Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-5100/5200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-5100/5200
Yaesu FT-5100/5200 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $Discontinued - Typical used pric
Description: 2M/440 dual band mobile transceiver. 50 watt VHF and 35 watt UHF.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-5100/5200.

N6MTS Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2013 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Time for a newer review. I've had my FT-5100 for nearly 17 years now and still love it. Of that time I've used it as my primary mobile for probably 15 years in several vehicles. I've extensively used it for a cross-band repeater for many hours on end (simply set to low power) with NO ill effects. However I have been careful to keep is well ventilated. On low power it get warm, you can always keep your hand on it. It is extremely easy to field program (all without a computer) and needs no complex menu system. I have never lost a single dial light or any power output modules. However, early-on I simply read the manual and learned how to turn down the dial light brightness to a dimmer level to "save" the bulbs. I have never had any memory problems and I have only replaced the memory battery one time, myself (it's not rocket science). The mic is not the most robust, but adequate if you don't leave it exposed to the daily sun. I also have a Yaesu FT-530 HT, which is almost the exact copy of this radio "but in a hand-held version" and it has also served me very well. As for Yaesu tech-support and repairs, they have their good days and their bad days (don't we all). I've caught them on both occasions, and their turn-around time varies a LOT. But hey, they generally have great products with only a few exceptions (like the sorry FT-90). I'll keep my FT-5100 till they pry it from my cold dead hands.

K8WRS Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2011 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Will cook output module  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The FT-5100 will overheat the output module due to poor cooling. This will destroy the PA module.
This overheating problem has been well documented. Read the review about the heat compound and the fan, it may help?
The fan does not come on before the heat is well above safe levels.
I am going to try to re-mount the PA module as sugested but the design is very bad as the PA is not directly mounted to the back heat sink for proper cooling.

KI6JPE Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2010 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned one of these (the FT-5100) and I was so happy with the radio. As things often go, I was forced to sell it at one point, and I regretted ever doing so.

I've recently had a chance to buy another from a co-worker of mine and jumped on the chance. Even after all these years, the radio is still an excellent performer. I own an Icom IC-2200H also, and I put the two to the test. I received better audio reports from the Yaesu, while the Icom can go a little further on it's 65w output opposed to 50w (2m) for the 5100.

All in all I was pleased with my first 5100, and I'm just as pleased with it's replacement, and am sure to get years more service out of this radio.

KQ4KK Rating: 4/5 Mar 29, 2009 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Been good over the years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 5100 and a 5200 in 1993. At the time they were state of the art dual bands. Both have worked very well over the years. Had to replace the dial light bulbs in the 5200 a few years ago. Learned now to not keep them on bright. The mic. just went bad on the 5100. Here in eham I found the fix. N4NLQ has detailed instructions on replacing the Mic C5 DC block/audio pass cap. About 15min, and a trip to RS fixed the microphone. Back on the air with the 5100, sold the 5200. Newer rigs do much more however.

K5MRM Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2009 15:03 Send this review to a friend
nice radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new in 1993 and it's been in the vehicle more than it's been in the shack. It started developing an intermittent power problem last month so I think all in all this rig has served me well.

WA2QIC Rating: 1/5 Jul 6, 2008 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Swing and a miss  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 5100, which I still have sitting in a junk box somewhere, was my worst mobile owned to date. With low hours the memory failed. It took a long time to get the battery replaced, which Yaesu didn't recommend as a DIY repair. After the battery was replaced, it became obvious that the battery wasn't the problem, because I still lost memory settings after the new battery was finally installed.

With very low hours the final amp section developed an intermittent audio cut out problem if the finals got too hot when using high power. Then, finally the mic up and died.

I estimate that I had a grand total of less than 20 hours of key down xmit time before I relegated the rig to the bin.

For those thinking about buying one of these rigs used - caveat emptor, this was not Yaesu's finest design hour.......

CT2FPE Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2008 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Lights Off  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my worst Rig, the front panel is a piece of junk, the bulb lights always went off, the display had problems with the digits, the RF output colapsed, a real mess.

VA3MCT Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2007 18:03 Send this review to a friend
ideal simple dual bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wasn't looking for this rig, but had considered new rigs at over 3 x the price of this one used.
This already had the features I was looking for, dual band / dual watch, good power output on both bands, data connector for 1200 baud (ideal for APRS), small size, CTCSS Encode, simple to use mobile.
Would however have preferred, the two separate vol/SQL controls on the newer rigs, but the system on the 5100 works fine.

K4SAR Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2006 07:28 Send this review to a friend
nice features, terrible execution and support  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio itself was great when working, aside from intermod susceptibility. But my FT-5200 went back to Yaesu four different times for repairs of various sorts, including (if memory serves) a bad switch, a CPU problem, a cooling fan failure, and a bad final output transistor. On the fourth trip back, for the failed final, after several weeks they contacted me with the repair estimate: $250. For a single final output transistor. I laughed, and told them to send it back as it was. (I then bought a new Alinco dual-bander for around $300). What annoyed me most, though, was Yaesu's snail's pace service (on one occasion they had the radio for over two months), poor attitude of the technical support phone staff, and thin customer communications. Contrast this with ICOM, to whom I recently sent a dual-band mobile for repair and actually got it back *four days* later with a bill for $40. I see no reason to buy another Yaesu product.

K5THR Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2006 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice Rig, But Hot Running Temp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Awesome Sounding and Running rig, my only issue was when I would run on either power level, this rig would get so hott that you could literally cook eggs on it. Other than that, I had no issues, It worked great.