Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-5100/5200 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-5100/5200
Yaesu FT-5100/5200 Reviews: 26 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $Discontinued - Typical used pric
Description: 2M/440 dual band mobile transceiver. 50 watt VHF and 35 watt UHF.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-5100/5200.

KE7IOD Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2006 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The radio is fairly similar to the FT530, so its fairly easy for me to operate.
The bulbs burned up, and I haven't tried to fix them, probably never will.
The only problem I have had with it is the mic died ... probably from abuse. I replaced it and its running like a champ

KC2CT Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2006 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Just runs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the FT-5100 since new in 1994. The only issue I had was with the pilot lamps which burned out in 6 months. I replaced them (What a pain to do so!). Now I run the brightness down at its lowest level. I've used the radio with good results both in the car and home. The optical encoder for tuning is getting a bit sloppy now but a quick turn backward and then forward and all is ok. Transceiver is on 24 x 7. It does get hot. Works great for crossband repeat, just keep the power down low. They are cheap now at hamfests. If I see another one around, I'll grab it.

WA0ZZG Rating: 4/5 Apr 14, 2006 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Very good, after changes  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a '5100 since 1995. It cost me a 2m PA module to find that they were not mounted or cooled properly. Two things need to be done to keep the PA modules from cooking. 1. Remount them with less heatsink compound and polish mating surfaces. 2. Modify fan control so that it runs slowly all the time. The display illumination is three standard mini lamps soldered to the display board. They are nearly impossible to replace but if you turn the brightness down, they last the life of the radio. There are two complete receivers plus a up/down converter to allow both receivers to be used on the same band. The scanner has provision to detect when a signal is off frequency and not stop. Forget about using the internal speaker. Power out will drift because the pots for PA control are too sensitive to the heat until the fan is left running. Don't change a PA module until alignment is checked.
It does do a good job as a cross-band repeater, but turn the power down for this service and unplug the mic. It's a shame Yaesu didn't catch the bugs. It had the potential to be a very good radio. Dave...

AI4EP Rating: 4/5 Apr 13, 2006 18:27 Send this review to a friend
ezy 2 use --fun 2 own  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had one of these around the mid 1990 s when they first came out...sold it and regretted it ever since. Now I got one used and like it. it is not used in the mobile, but in the shack. Very easy to program, and, unlike most of the newer model dual banders sold these days, it can recieve 2 2 meter frequencies, or 2 440 frequencies, or one of each, or just one and leave the right side display blank.

PRO ---
easy to program
dual display ( described in previous paragraph )

CON ---
vol - squelch - balance knobs ARE too small
pig tail antenna connector ( should be mounted to rear of unit )

but I DO like it...would buy another if price is right or trade/swap .

AI4EP (Robert)

KC8RAF Rating: 1/5 May 23, 2005 19:58 Send this review to a friend
bad output audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a ft 5100 and it lost almost all output audio then I purchased a ft 5200 since I liked my 5100 so much and it did the same thing a week after I bought it. I wish I had read about the problems before my purchases I would have never bought them and it would cost more to send it back for repair than it would cost to buy another radio.

W8TOL Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2005 23:43 Send this review to a friend
thanks Bob  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine from ebay and thanks to the seller,i got mine in excellent condition.I love the fully controllable crossband repeat function with the "hot" mic.higly recommend it for crossbanding on low power output.

W8TOL Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2005 17:28 Send this review to a friend
very nice ft-5200!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got mine used for decent price,and works like a "cherry"!mine came with mars/cap modified but i don't mind it.i wish yaesu would of put medium ~25w setting for power output.other than that not bad for an "oldie" yaesu! defenetly give it a 5.

N5EG Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2003 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good radio, lots of features. The display bulbs burned out - replacements from Yaesu service were not expensive. Took about 2-3 hours to resolder them in. The display brightness can be adjusted - and no burned out lamps since reducing that.

The 'DATA' jack is not too useful. The frequency response is poor, so that the 2200 hz tone is way down from the 1200 tone. This makes my 5100 work poorly at all data rates 300-9600 baud. Looking at the schematic, it's not easy to fix. For 1200 baud AFSK, you could run the DATA received audio through an equalizer and probably help it a lot, 9600 FSK appears to be a lost cause.

For FM use, it's a real good radio.

KA9UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2003 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my wife a ft-5200 (remote mounted) because of the ease of use. The only problem we have had was a worn out microphone. Does that say anything. We have used the heck out of this radio with no problems. 7 years old and still ticking.

W4KPA Rating: 3/5 Nov 9, 2002 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Good if used conservatively  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used an FT-5200 for five years in two different mounting arrangements in a 1992 Ford Taurus. Generally it's a good radio if you recognize the limitations that stem from its small size and relatively light construction. Mine made three trips in to Yaesu for repair. The first was to have its internal connections shored up. The screws holding the circuit board needed to be tightened, and the ground connections need to be resoldered. The radio basically shook loose from vibration. I had the radio mounted directly to the car frame in the trunk (which gave me an antenna feed line of about 14 inches). After this episode I moved the radio inside the car to a location that was insulated somewhat from vibration. The second trip was for replacement of the fan switch. The third was for replacement of the two meter power module. The fan switch was a simple malfunction, but I think the other two were related to the radio's physical construction. Yaesu's small radios don't handle heat dissipation and vibration very well. This radio will work like a champ in a home installation. It will work fine in a mobile installation if you (a) reduce the power output to 25 or 30 watts; and (b) pay attention to where you mount the radio so that vibration will be absorbed. Just don't pay too much for the radio. New equipment is so cheap that used equipment is worthwhile only if it is a real bargain. I wouldn't pay more than $75 or $80 for one of these.