Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna
MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: This Apartment Antenna lets you operate 40 through 10 Meters on HF and 6 and 2 Meters on VHF with a single antenna! Its universal mount/clamp lets you easily attach it to window frames, balconies, and railings. It also works great indoors mounted to a desk, table, or bookshelf. It's not a five element yagi, but you'll work your share of exciting DX! <br> <br>

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna.

KM6HFR Rating: 0/5 Nov 21, 2017 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Crap - Never Worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
A complete waste of time and money. Complete crap. I could never get SWR below 18:1. I can't believe MFJ sells this junk.
KB3ZUO Rating: 2/5 Nov 21, 2017 12:39 Send this review to a friend
JUNK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It picks up only strong amplified regional signals but not very well . the telescoping sections fill up with water when left out as an apartment antenna would need to be , as they do it has worse reception.
KM6HFR Rating: 0/5 Sep 3, 2017 16:12 Send this review to a friend
High SWR on all bands!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna 9 months ago to attach to my 3rd floor balcony rail -- SWR was off the charts ~18::1 on all bands. I checked all connections, rechecked by moving the tap clip from the top "1" coil position to the middle and to the bottom and I still could not get a good SWR. I followed the instructions for counterpoise lengths and tapped coil position, still to no avail. I moved a few months ago and today I got it out of the box and tried it in my backyard on a tripod. Using a RigExpert AA-600 in multi band mode from 40m-2m, SWR ranged from 18.1 :: 1 at 7.00 MHz to 8.1::1 at 50.100 MHz, regardless of telescopic length or coil tap position. This thing simply does not work.
KF3EI Rating: 2/5 Jul 22, 2017 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I fortunately purchased mine used. First I upgraded the coax since the original RG-58 has minimal outer braid, then I changed the coil attachment to a sturdy stainless clip in place of the tiny copper clip. Next I measured out lengths of counterpoise at .28 wavelength for each band. The antenna nickel? coil has a suspiciously lower q than what is required, and in spite of my mods, almost all the rf current was getting lost before reaching the 3 joint telescoping antenna.
The bandwidth is very narrow below 15m assuming you want to work at SWR <2:1
This antenna just cannot work and consumes too much time and no fun just trying to get out a signal on 90 watts input with 2 w actual output. Contacts were found using WSPR, and occasionally using CW on 20m. I guess that makes sense.
K5VOP Rating: 3/5 May 23, 2016 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Works as described but poor contstruction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off I must say that for my situation this antenna is the best option that I have found. That said, it does work as intended, for the most part. I tested various frequencies' SWR and could get 6-40 around 1.8-2.1:1. (more than one coil wire may be touching the clamp causing higher SWR). The antenna is compact, and very easy to put in my suitcase when I travel (this is what I bought it for). A carry case would be nice, I'll make or find one for it myself though. However, two issues I have with it: 1. first time using it the exposed coax lead that connects to the coil was broken off, very poor soldering job, I had to re-solder it. 2. The alligator clamp that is meant to clamp on the various turns of the coil is TOO large of clamp at the teeth end, I have to bend (spread apart) the coil wires if I want it to NOT touch the other wires and give a higher SWR. the clamp should be narrower at the nose so that you can easily clamp it on a single coil wire without having to bend the other wires away from it to keep them from touching the clamp as well. I am keeping the antenna because, as I said, it is my best option for hotel window antennas that I have found. But I am going to have to remove the alligator clamp and solder on a more narrow one so that I can actually clamp on ONE coil wire at a time. For what it is, the performance is good, the price is fair, but the construction is not so good, 3-4 rating. I shouldn't have to re-solder and exchange parts for it to work out of the box. (If the alligator clamp was more narrow I would probably be getting closer to 1:1 SWR as it wouldn't be touching more than one coil wire).
KA2DDX Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2015 06:36 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just thought I'd share my experience from this past weekend - I bought this antenna about 3 months ago and finally got to try it out in a park from a picnic table in a shelter - during a high solar wind day (conditions weren't very good) , and the feed point at picnic table top level - I put it on 20 meters, set the counterpoise wire at 18 feet - the end of the counterpoise was wrapped around a stick about a foot off the ground - tapped the coil 9 down - my mfj tuner got the swr almost flat - and I worked Cuba, Slovenia and Peru - ssb and cw - my first experience with this antenna or any antenna like it - quite surprised - have fun with yours.........

Larry KA2DDX
KD7ZCI Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2015 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this antenna to get onto HF from an apartment and I worked great from my balcony. It comes with a 5.5 foot whip and about 35 feet of counterpoise wire. With some time I was able to get great SWR and signal reports on 40 meter, but I wanted to go lower. I purchased MFJ's 12 foot telescopic whip and used some 75 feet of leftover speaker wire from an auto project to make a longer counterpoise and was able to get onto 80 meters with low SWR and great signal reports, and now I use the 12 foot whip for 80-20 meter operations. Drawbacks: If it gets windy with the 12 footer on, go back to the 5.5 because the antenna does whip around quite a bit. I've had nothing break, but it does worry me.
KG5ARD Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antennae when I bought my Icom 718 for HF. I hooked it to my fence outside the window and began talking all over North America. After tweeking I was talking to South America. My darling wife doesn't like my dipole antennae that I take camping so this is going to be my camping antennae that I can hook to the picnic table. I am going to try it with QRP and see how it works. With the dipole I was talking coast to coast on 5 watts.
M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 06:50 Send this review to a friend
a good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a number of years and have used it in a variety of situations. I have stopped being surorised by how it performs. If you consider its size and design as a temporary solution it is an excellent compromise.
VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well this specific antenna was given to me from VE9DEN my friend Denni down in New Brunswick Canada where I'm at every summer for a few weeks visiting the YL side of the family, as always when I'm there I go over and visit Denni VE9DEN but this year he handed me a Power supply , FDK 2700 VHF transceiver and this MFJ 1622 antenna, hooked up everything and got on VHF ASAP , the antenna performs great on 2M and I also used it once I got back home to Ontario on HF where it also works great for what it is ( portable antenna )
So I give it a 5/5 !!!!!! 73