Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna
MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: This Apartment Antenna lets you operate 40 through 10 Meters on HF and 6 and 2 Meters on VHF with a single antenna! Its universal mount/clamp lets you easily attach it to window frames, balconies, and railings. It also works great indoors mounted to a desk, table, or bookshelf. It's not a five element yagi, but you'll work your share of exciting DX! <br> <br>
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1622

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna.

M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 06:50 Send this review to a friend
a good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a number of years and have used it in a variety of situations. I have stopped being surorised by how it performs. If you consider its size and design as a temporary solution it is an excellent compromise.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well this specific antenna was given to me from VE9DEN my friend Denni down in New Brunswick Canada where I'm at every summer for a few weeks visiting the YL side of the family, as always when I'm there I go over and visit Denni VE9DEN but this year he handed me a Power supply , FDK 2700 VHF transceiver and this MFJ 1622 antenna, hooked up everything and got on VHF ASAP , the antenna performs great on 2M and I also used it once I got back home to Ontario on HF where it also works great for what it is ( portable antenna )
So I give it a 5/5 !!!!!! 73

VA3JTN Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2013 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Does the trick  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I live on the 11th floor of a condo and this antenna was pretty much my only option. New to HF and I was hesitant to buy this based on a few negative reviews. Phew, good thing I didn't let that stop me. I've owned the antenna for a month or two, here's the QSOs I've made with just 100W. Speaks for itself, this antenna is no miracle but will get you on the air and pretty well too!

Belize
Russia
Bolivia

KD0ILM Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good antenna - got me back on the air  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Saigon Vietnam and had to move from a place with a decent antenna to a 25 story apartment building. I tried a long wire out the window at night and an indoor dipole with poor results. At a last resort I bought this MFJ-1622 apartment antennas. It is well made and very easy to set up. I do not have an antenna analyzer but the SWR meter on my tuner made cutting the single counterpoise wires easy. I cut different lengths and used connectors so that I can lengthen and shorten them depending upon the band. This added about 20 minutes to the entire job. I am on the 14th floor so the wires were each pretty close to 1/4 wave. The window mount is excellent and very versatile. Be sure to use the anchor rope that they include. I did lose it one day and the rope saved anyone below me.

I have been shocked at the performance of this antenna. It is not a beam or a "miracle" antenna but I get out with it and I am back on the air. On PSK31 I have made contact up to 8,000 miles away. 3,000 is routine into Japan, China and Asiatic Russia. My noise level here in the city is about S9 most of the time so cannot comment on SSB usage. With a compromise antenna like this you also learn a lot about propagation which is a plus.
If you need stealth operation this is a good one to look at and the price is right.

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2012 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Works amazingly well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This strange looking little antenna really works well for portable operation! I have used it on vacation trips twice now, clamped to the balcony railing on the 5th floor of the hotel. Good signal reports and other ops are amazed when they hear what I am using. A friend borrowed it and took it when he had to operate portable for a month and he couldn't mount it outside but had good luck even with it inside. Follow the suggestions in the other reviews as to counterpoises, how to tune it and you will be happy like me.

WB4ES Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Works surprisingly well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While it's true that this antenna is a compromise, it's one that I have to live with as a condo dweller. That said, I've had nothing but good experiences with it so far. I haven't had many chances to use it since buying and setting it up, but in that time I've made 2 DX contacts in the 4500-5000 mile range (20m at 100W).

I did make a couple of changes to it, though. I'm using an 8 foot whip, as opposed to the included 5.5 footer, with the bottom segment retracted for 10m. I also followed K5RIX's example, using cut lengths of wire and quick-disconnect connectors for the counterpoise. The latter certainly saves a lot of time and headache compared to rolling and unrolling one long piece of wire, and I have no problem staying under 2.0 SWR over most of 10-40m.

KG4ULT Rating: 2/5 Jan 19, 2011 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Definitely a compromise antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased back in November 2010 along with my new TS2000. Not a competition station but im not into competitions so i thought it would fit the bill.

Well it is an antenna and actually receives remarkably well considering its size.

I currently have it 4ft off the ground and counterpoise is looped around the pvc railing on the first floor porch. I use to lay the counterpoise straight out but nosey maintenance guy.. and well i dont want to draw any unnecessary attention.

I rate it a 2 because you need to constantly roll back the counterpoise or roll it out for the different bands. Although it will work if you leave it laid out for the lowest band of interest and adjust the tap.

Also, when the antenna gets wet - on rainy days - the antenna will not tune at all!!!

Other than that the mounting system for the rails is awesome!! The antenna is built nicely.

So if not for the 2 issues i mentioned it would be a 4.5 - 5.

KB1NJR Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2009 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Hits local repeaters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because, go figure, I live in a second floor apartment. I finally got it installed, but it took me a while to tune it for the 2M band.

Right now it's resonant at 144 MHz, and I'm using it for 145-146 MHz repeater work with a 1.7 SWR hooked up to my ADI AT-201 HT. It's hitting all of my local repeaters without a problem.

I have yet to try it on any other bands.

KB1QBZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 19, 2009 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Good For What It Is  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this as my first antenna to use until I could get a better antenna up. It's not a beam, it's not a dipole strung 70' up in a clearing, it's not a 42' foot vertical with an excellent ground radial system.

But it is a decent antenna if you want to get out on HF. Operating QRP (an Elecraft K1), I made a fair share of contacts on 40 (as far away as south Florida, but mostly in a 300-700 mile radius) and contacts on 20 (as far away as the Ukraine and the Caribbean, but mostly in a 400-900 mile radius).

The antenna is mounted out of my 2nd floor window. The window faces to the west, is about 20' up, and faces electrical lines running north/south about 10' away and a busy street (lots of ignition noise).

I now have a Cobra Ultralight up in the back yard and use that for HF. I still use the MFJ for 2 meters and it does a nice job hitting the local repeaters with minimum power.

The key to getting the antenna to work is to listen with a receiver as you slowly move the alligator clip over the coil. Listen for max volume -- that's the right coil tap for that frequency. Then play with the length of the counterpoise until you get the min SWR. I use an inexpensive $30 SWR meter from AES, and the SWR meter built into a lot of rigs is perfectly suitable.

Remember that the counterpoise should NOT run on the ground -- it should be elevated at least two feet above ground. I found that I got much better results with the counterpoise outside the house than inside the house.

KI6AEU Rating: 2/5 Mar 10, 2008 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Better then nothing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a apartment on the second floor. I put this antenna on the railing and i ran a counter poise. For me it would only make contacts within about 500 mile range.

I hear tou can add more counter poise wires, But i have not tried that. how ever it does give a good match with a good tuner. The fact that you have to coil up a lot of the coax in a loop is a big turn off. Also the coax is cheap and low quality. I suspect this antenna would work much better with a higher quality coax.