Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna
MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: This Apartment Antenna lets you operate 40 through 10 Meters on HF and 6 and 2 Meters on VHF with a single antenna! Its universal mount/clamp lets you easily attach it to window frames, balconies, and railings. It also works great indoors mounted to a desk, table, or bookshelf. It's not a five element yagi, but you'll work your share of exciting DX! <br> <br>
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1622

You can write your own review of the MFJ 1622 Apartment Antenna.

KD7ZCI Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2015 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this antenna to get onto HF from an apartment and I worked great from my balcony. It comes with a 5.5 foot whip and about 35 feet of counterpoise wire. With some time I was able to get great SWR and signal reports on 40 meter, but I wanted to go lower. I purchased MFJ's 12 foot telescopic whip and used some 75 feet of leftover speaker wire from an auto project to make a longer counterpoise and was able to get onto 80 meters with low SWR and great signal reports, and now I use the 12 foot whip for 80-20 meter operations. Drawbacks: If it gets windy with the 12 footer on, go back to the 5.5 because the antenna does whip around quite a bit. I've had nothing break, but it does worry me.

KG5ARD Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2015 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antennae when I bought my Icom 718 for HF. I hooked it to my fence outside the window and began talking all over North America. After tweeking I was talking to South America. My darling wife doesn't like my dipole antennae that I take camping so this is going to be my camping antennae that I can hook to the picnic table. I am going to try it with QRP and see how it works. With the dipole I was talking coast to coast on 5 watts.

M1CXF Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 06:50 Send this review to a friend
a good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for a number of years and have used it in a variety of situations. I have stopped being surorised by how it performs. If you consider its size and design as a temporary solution it is an excellent compromise.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
VA3MLV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well this specific antenna was given to me from VE9DEN my friend Denni down in New Brunswick Canada where I'm at every summer for a few weeks visiting the YL side of the family, as always when I'm there I go over and visit Denni VE9DEN but this year he handed me a Power supply , FDK 2700 VHF transceiver and this MFJ 1622 antenna, hooked up everything and got on VHF ASAP , the antenna performs great on 2M and I also used it once I got back home to Ontario on HF where it also works great for what it is ( portable antenna )
So I give it a 5/5 !!!!!! 73

VA3JTN Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2013 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Does the trick  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I live on the 11th floor of a condo and this antenna was pretty much my only option. New to HF and I was hesitant to buy this based on a few negative reviews. Phew, good thing I didn't let that stop me. I've owned the antenna for a month or two, here's the QSOs I've made with just 100W. Speaks for itself, this antenna is no miracle but will get you on the air and pretty well too!

Belize
Russia
Bolivia

KD0ILM Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly good antenna - got me back on the air  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in Saigon Vietnam and had to move from a place with a decent antenna to a 25 story apartment building. I tried a long wire out the window at night and an indoor dipole with poor results. At a last resort I bought this MFJ-1622 apartment antennas. It is well made and very easy to set up. I do not have an antenna analyzer but the SWR meter on my tuner made cutting the single counterpoise wires easy. I cut different lengths and used connectors so that I can lengthen and shorten them depending upon the band. This added about 20 minutes to the entire job. I am on the 14th floor so the wires were each pretty close to 1/4 wave. The window mount is excellent and very versatile. Be sure to use the anchor rope that they include. I did lose it one day and the rope saved anyone below me.

I have been shocked at the performance of this antenna. It is not a beam or a "miracle" antenna but I get out with it and I am back on the air. On PSK31 I have made contact up to 8,000 miles away. 3,000 is routine into Japan, China and Asiatic Russia. My noise level here in the city is about S9 most of the time so cannot comment on SSB usage. With a compromise antenna like this you also learn a lot about propagation which is a plus.
If you need stealth operation this is a good one to look at and the price is right.

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2012 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Works amazingly well  Time owned: more than 12 months
This strange looking little antenna really works well for portable operation! I have used it on vacation trips twice now, clamped to the balcony railing on the 5th floor of the hotel. Good signal reports and other ops are amazed when they hear what I am using. A friend borrowed it and took it when he had to operate portable for a month and he couldn't mount it outside but had good luck even with it inside. Follow the suggestions in the other reviews as to counterpoises, how to tune it and you will be happy like me.

WB4ES Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2012 16:45 Send this review to a friend
Works surprisingly well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While it's true that this antenna is a compromise, it's one that I have to live with as a condo dweller. That said, I've had nothing but good experiences with it so far. I haven't had many chances to use it since buying and setting it up, but in that time I've made 2 DX contacts in the 4500-5000 mile range (20m at 100W).

I did make a couple of changes to it, though. I'm using an 8 foot whip, as opposed to the included 5.5 footer, with the bottom segment retracted for 10m. I also followed K5RIX's example, using cut lengths of wire and quick-disconnect connectors for the counterpoise. The latter certainly saves a lot of time and headache compared to rolling and unrolling one long piece of wire, and I have no problem staying under 2.0 SWR over most of 10-40m.

KG4ULT Rating: 2/5 Jan 19, 2011 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Definitely a compromise antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased back in November 2010 along with my new TS2000. Not a competition station but im not into competitions so i thought it would fit the bill.

Well it is an antenna and actually receives remarkably well considering its size.

I currently have it 4ft off the ground and counterpoise is looped around the pvc railing on the first floor porch. I use to lay the counterpoise straight out but nosey maintenance guy.. and well i dont want to draw any unnecessary attention.

I rate it a 2 because you need to constantly roll back the counterpoise or roll it out for the different bands. Although it will work if you leave it laid out for the lowest band of interest and adjust the tap.

Also, when the antenna gets wet - on rainy days - the antenna will not tune at all!!!

Other than that the mounting system for the rails is awesome!! The antenna is built nicely.

So if not for the 2 issues i mentioned it would be a 4.5 - 5.

KB1NJR Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2009 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Hits local repeaters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because, go figure, I live in a second floor apartment. I finally got it installed, but it took me a while to tune it for the 2M band.

Right now it's resonant at 144 MHz, and I'm using it for 145-146 MHz repeater work with a 1.7 SWR hooked up to my ADI AT-201 HT. It's hitting all of my local repeaters without a problem.

I have yet to try it on any other bands.