Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vibroplex Lightning Bug Help

Reviews Summary for Vibroplex Lightning Bug
Vibroplex Lightning Bug Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $80 - $150 on eBay
Description: Semiauto keyer by Vibroplex. It is the pattern used by the US Navy ca. WWII and is distinguished by a triangular upper bearing mount and a single, cubical weight on a flat spring arm.
More info: http://vibroplex.com/lightning_bug_machine_drawing.pdf

You can write your own review of the Vibroplex Lightning Bug.

W4EAB Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2017 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Original Deluxe  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always clean my contacts just by putting a dollar bill between the contacts and holding the contacts together while pulling the bill through several times. Still got the original contacts from 1959 (when I bought it 3rd hand) and it sounds fine.

W3HKK Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2017 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Nifty thigamajig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Started my cw in 1956 with a a milsurplus straight key then graduated to a lightning bug in 1957. Lost it but acquired a new one c. 2010.

Like others, I never took to a keyer/paddle, but did go into keyboard mode in the late 80s. Now I bounce back and forth between the bug and the keyboard. Use the bug mostly for ragchewing.

Rate it a 4 only because the contacts seem to need more than their share of cleaning ( I use Deoxit and a cotton cloth.

There is a group of bug users who like the sound of a well-tempered clavier - I mean bug, for its almost musical nature. But the secret is in the dot spacing and speed matching the dash spacing and speed.

Might purdy when its done right.

W4EAB Rating: 3/5 Aug 19, 2017 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Correction  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update. My bug was in a Lightening Bug original box #215197 but it is not a Lightening Bug. It does not have the square weight and architecture. It is a Original Deluxe with the round .4 oz weights and curved main frame and curved damper mount. I bought it 3rd hand in 1959. The original (?) owners name had been etched (and scratched out) on one side of the base (EEKS!) and a Richard C. Conley name was still etched into the other side of the base. No way to tell it's age. Put a new chrome base on it and the old girl's working just fine today!

WA7AXT Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2017 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Lightning bug is easy to "fine tune" and "feels" solid. The flat pendulum rod and square weight construction make speed adjustment easy and quick. I have 3 of them and love them all. They are keepers. To slow them down, use a thick washer between the thumb screw and the weight there's enough room for about 1/4 inch of washer thickness. Then use a 7/16 socket on top of that to get it down to about 10 wpm. Its easy to just take the socket off and speed up. With the thick washer, you can still get them up to maybe 25 or 30 wpm.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2016 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Was lucky to find basically a new in the box Lightning with travel case, circa mid 60s. Beautiful bug and easy to adjust and use. Very happy with this key.

N0JRN Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2016 14:43 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am the proud owner of serial #178068 Lightning. I found it on an auction site and was fortunate to place the winning bid. Turned out, it was being sold by the family of the original owner. It came with the original sale slip from Vibroplex and was sold January 8th, 1952 to a radio telegrapher for the Chicago, St Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railway. ( name withheld ) for
$5.09... It's taken a bit for me to get use to the feel and get the spacing down but it's a pleasure to work with on the air. I have other bugs that I like but the Lightning is great. I am especially happy to be the second owner of this awesome key. IF you get a chance to pick one up, I highly recommend it. 73 ... Jerry

W6SJP Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2016 21:24 Send this review to a friend
No Other Bug is Needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yep--it's fun to try out and play with all the unique and different bugs out there, but at the end of the day, my pre-WWII Sig Corp J-36 is the one I use. Also, the fact that Vibroplex has all the similar 'Vibroplex J-36' parts in stock means I can keep it maintained properly. Like most others I scratch my head in wonder why they don't make the Lightning Bug anymore--it's a truly great design. I highly recommend the Lightning for everyone who's a "Know Code" or "No Codes" just starting out! 73s!

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 10:31 Send this review to a friend
dependably great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have tried dozens of bugs, of all types...and among my three keepers, two of them are my 1935 Lightning Bug, and my 1963 Lightning Bug Deluxe. Once adjusted to my liking, they are both completely smooth and precise...I can send good code on them without having to think at all about the sending part....it's the Zen of doing without doing...sending without sending.

WB4EDB Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 15:15 Send this review to a friend
A Dandy Bug  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Vibroplex Lightning model is the best Vibroplex in my opinion. I would like to see this model back in production. They all seem to have a very good feel and in fact the older the year the better they seem to be to me.WB4EDB (Smiley)

K5SBR Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2012 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Machine  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Lightning was a Lionel J-36 pulled from an attic in 1970. Loaned it to a "friend" in the '80's and never got it back. Went hunting for a replacement a few years ago after again tiring of my 1960 Presentation. Now I have a collection of 30 or so, from nearly the first to the last. The Vibroplex Lightning is smoothest, but like all the Martin #6 designs is easier to adjust across a wide speed range than any other bug I've used. On the desk this month is a 1950 chrome-plated Vibroplex deluxe. Beautiful and practical. Scott should bring this one back.