Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow Antenna GP52 6 meter 1/4 wave GP Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow Antenna GP52 6 meter 1/4 wave GP
Arrow Antenna GP52 6 meter 1/4 wave GP Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $35
Description: 6 meter 1/4 ground plane antenna. Antenna pictured is from the 2m version, but it appears the same.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow Antenna GP52 6 meter 1/4 wave GP.

W5RM Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2007 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Used this very well made antenna GP52 and adapted the ground plane to an NMO (used an NMO to N adapter) tri-band antenna for 6/2/440. It works wonderful. With some minor modifications and a 5/8 hole this ground plane accommodated the NMO mount to use CR627BNMO Diamond mobile antenna for fixed use, it works well. Highly recommend the GP52 tnx Jim W5RM

W6LBV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2007 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Straight Arrow Stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you need some basic omnidirectional VHF/low UHF antennas, you have three different choices depending upon your needs and the funds available. If low cost is paramount, find an SO-239 jack and some solid wire, and construct a little ground plane antenna (design and dimensions are in the handbooks). It will work well enough, but won't last very long in the weather. If the utmost in performance and survivability is critical and you want something that is qualified to go to sea aboard the USS Stennis, gather up your ground plane antenna design and dimensions and head for an aerospace machine shop. They can fix you up with a custom machined antenna out of stainless steel or perhaps titanium.

But if you want a low cost, "no fuss" performer that you can install once and use for years, then simplify your plans and just order an Arrow Antenna ground plane. There's no point in trying to build one yourself: if you have to buy new aluminum stock and other parts it will probably cost more than the complete Arrow antenna, and you certainly can't do the machining as well as Arrow can!

I now have both the GP-52 (6 meters), and the GP-146/440 (2 meter/70 cm combo) assembled, installed, and operating. Both were packed for shipping so well that they were impervious to the rampages of the Unified Parsnips System gorillas. The aluminum stock (3/8" solid radiators and 1/4" solid radials!), the stainless steel mounting hardware, and the machining are all first rate. It's obvious that these antennas will stand up to winter storms and high winds without fatiguing and snapping. But installing them on the USS Stennis? That would be an interesting experiment!

Assembly for each takes five minutes with simple hand tools, although the six meter antenna does require trimming of the driven element to length. Everything assembles easily on the first try. Cutting that 3/8" solid aluminum radiator is a great demonstration of how tough this antenna stock really is!

The major complaint, and it has been mentioned here before, is the desire for the antennas to accommodate up to 2" masts, rather than the current 1.5" maximum-sized mast. Some of the more rugged installation locations, including mountaintops, benefit from using 2" masts. A minor “nice to have” would be the optional availability of a Type N coax jack.

Given their incredible Quality/Price ratio, these ground planes should be "standard issue" for every VHF/UHF fixed station.

WB5UDI Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2007 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality of product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have never been on 6 meters after being a ham for over 35 years. So I looked for a 6 meter rig on Ebay and found an FT-680R (all mode on 6 with 10 watts). Never did an Ebay auction before, and actually won it!!

Did a lot of research on 6 meter antennas, and decided for the price ($39), I really couldn't go wrong--to get started with this neat looking 1/4 wavelength ground plane antenna. It was shipped immediately and came in a long rectangular box--but on the inside was a cardboard tube that was almost a 1/2" thick and the antenna pieces were inside that--CAREFULLY protected!

It goes together in about 2 minutes--really! It's that simple. The rods are all made of solid aluminum, and there are no rough edges....nice!

All I had to do was mount it on my roof and attach a coaxial cable to the SO-239 connector and we are up and running. I immediately was able to chat with some local hams on ground wave. The WorldWide CQ VHF Contest was this past weekend--and while I heard local hams, I couldn't hear anybody else distant. I grew concerned that something might not be right with my antenna.

Then lo and behold, yesterday I experienced my first "6 meter band opening". I'm in Denver, CO (Grid DM79) and I was working stations in California, Washington State, New Mexico, and then over into Wisconsin and Minnesota. It was AMAZING that I was doing this with only 10 watts and this GP52 vertical Ground plane. Some of these guys were running 500W to 1KW and they couldn't believe that I was just using 10 watts to this 1/4 wave vertical. I know my elevation at near 7000' doesn't hurt--but this thing is actually just sitting on my roof at 35 feet!

Bottom line: I was totally pleased with the quick shipping from Arrow and their sturdy mailing container. I was totally pleased with the nice heavy duty aluminum rods the antenna is made out of while being lightweight. I am now totally pleased to see that it works perfectly on 6 meters with my little ole 10 watts.

Very satisfied customer!

Stan Weber
WB5UDI

Parker, CO

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2007 05:40 Send this review to a friend
GP52 6 Meter Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a 6 meter antenna to use with my Yaesu FT-857D then saw the July 3 review here.

I now have one installed at the home qth working 6 meter FM and SSB.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2007 13:49 Send this review to a friend
ARROW: They Do Antennas Right  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, maybe a 6 meter GP isn't rocket science. But I surely couldn't homebrew one as bullet-proof as this one, and certainly not for the price.

I am adding this to my collection of Arrow products, I already own a 4 element two meter and a 4 element 6 meter yagi, and this antenna is of the same high quality.

The Arrow motto is "Simply the Best", and if you don't think so, they have a 90 day return policy.

My antennas are staying right where they are. In the air and working great.

Many thanks to the folks at Arrow Antennas.

Rick N6NKN

NY0K Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2007 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional Antennas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the third Arrow Antenna product I've purchased. I sure wish Al would make a triband yagi!

First off, the customer service is excellent. I had a problem with the PayPal links on the website, so I emailed -- and got a reply within minutes. I went back, and they magically worked. I must have needed some of Al's aura to get the links to work :)

I ordered the GP52 and the dual-band j-pole. As far as pricing goes, the cost is very low, especially considering the quality of workmanship and materials used. Ten bucks for shipping for both antennas, a bargain when you look at the shipping container -- a sturdy long cardboard box with a strong inner cardboard tube inserted into the box, commercially stapled and then sealed with tape. Half the cost of shipping must be in the container, and it pretty much guarantees the antennas will show up at your door in pristine condition.

The GP52 uses solid aluminum components coupled with stainless steel hardware. The machining is excellent, and each piece is de-burred so there are no sharp edges or metal splinters. It goes together easily; most folks can assemble it in ten minutes. The instructions are easy to follow, and the antenna has excellent bandwidth and SWR characteristics. I have mine set for SSB, and the SWR is 1.1:1 at most.

Don't be fooled by the very reasonable price ($39); you get an exceptional antenna for your money. If Cushcraft made these, they'd be hollow instead of solid, and the price would be at least twice as much.

I'd highly suggest you pick one up before Al comes to his senses!

K1ECW Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2005 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Another Winner From Arrow  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The bottom line is: It's another winner from Arrow!

It took all of fifteen minutes to assemble the antenna and check the SWR. I tuned it to both the SSB and FM portions of the 6 meter band and got 1.1:1 at each end. When I did a compromise tune it showed 1.2 at 50.200 and 1.4 at 52.525.

I retuned it for 6 meter FM operation and made the adjustments for a 1.1:1 SWR at a resonance frequency of 53 MHz to cover the repeater portion of the band.

I decided to see how much power this baby would handle. It is rated by Arrow at 200 watts but I knew it could handle more.

I started at 200 watts. While working a station about 50 miles distant on FM Simplex, I gradually raised the power to a full KW. The SWR never climbed and the antenna held for full 20 minute QSO.

I've used the antenna for about two months without any problems. It's a keeper.

This antenna is made of quality materials and is well constructed. In fact we will be using it on a new 6 meter FM repeater that's being installed at 2300 feet on a nearby mountain top. Given its size and construction, it shouldn't have any problem with wind or ice.

If you need one, buy one. You'll be happy with your purchase.

KD5WPX Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2004 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Another great antenna from Arrow!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is installed in the attic. I have the ground plane radials laid out horizontally rather than drooping due to space limitations. The SWR is about 1.2 @ 50mhz and <1.8 at 54mhz, pretty much like the chart in the instructions. I've found that it works well locally and that the band is never "open" when I've got the time and enthusiasm to try for DX. Like everything from Arrow, the elements are solid aluminum and I think the antenna will stand up to nearly anything. A worthy addition to any "antenna farm"
73's, Bob

KC9DOW Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2003 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine is mounted in an attic. At 50.400 MHZ, I have a 2.0 SWR, at 53 MHZ I'm at 3.5 SWR. I was more interested in the lower part of the band anyway and I think I can get the SWR to about 1.5 for 50.400 if I move the antenna. I'm still experimenting. This antenna definitely looks like it could take some abuse and not break or turn into a pretzel. The customer service was great and the shipping was fast. Definitely a good way to start on 6 meters.

KC2SSB Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2002 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Can't get a better GP than this!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is PERFECT! The Arrow Antenna model GP52 is a great antenna! It is solidly built and very easy to assemble. Out of the box, the SWR's on 52.525 bearly move the needle! It is soldily built out of solid aluminum. The radials are 1/4" thick and the driven element is 3/8" thick. At 20 feet, I am getting great signal reports.

If you are looking for an inexpensive vertical for 6 meters, and have the space for a GP antenna, get this one. The shipping was fast and the customer service excellent.