Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Mizuho CW-2S Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho CW-2S
Mizuho CW-2S Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $approx. 90 (depends on exchange
Description: Sidetone and semi-QSK unit for the MX series SSB/CW handheld transceivers
More info: http://www.wsplc.com/cgi-shopping/acatalog/WSPLC_COM_QRP___MIZUHO_78.html

You can write your own review of the Mizuho CW-2S.

KU4QD Rating: 3/5 Jan 9, 2002 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Important add-on , but the tone is annoying  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The CW-2S is an add-on to the Mizuho MX series of handheld QRP SSB/CW transceivers for 80M through 2M. The little handhelds don't have a sidetone or QSK. I'm one of those people who need the reassurance of a sidetone to know I'm sending clean code, so this unit is important to me if I'm not using my Mizuho toys as true handhelds. QSK is always important, IMHO.

The little CW-2S is probably about one third the size of the rigs, so it's a fairly substantial little sidecar. It draws it's power from the handheld and adds about 18mA to the current draw, which certainly isn't too much of a drain on the batteries. This unit would get high marks from me despite it's size if it had a nice pleasant tone. It doesn't. It's annoying as all get out. Remember the really annoying tone produced by the relaxation oscillator used for sidetone in some of the old Heathkits? If so, you know what this sounds like. The documentation is a single sheet in Japanese with no schematic, so I don't know off hand if the pitch can be adjusted. I may just have to open it and see if I can figure it out, and I just haven't done that yet.

So... between the sound and the size I can only rate it a 3. Still... I'm glad I have it. It's an accessory that fits in the "better than nothing" category.