Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-Q7A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-Q7A
ICOM IC-Q7A Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $229
Description: Ultra compact 2 meter/440 MHz dual band handheld with full feature scanner.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/dualhand/index.html#q7a

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-Q7A.

F4FAP Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2010 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Good and small  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lack of a very low power for use on very local - 50 mW would be fine.
PTT a bit hard to maintain pushed in - not soft enough.

Menu is quiet easy to use, even with no user manual.
Range is very confortable with 2 cells - it goes for days.
High sensibility, better than many sophisticated hand rigs.
Diamond 36 cm antenna is perfect to enhance it's capabilities.

LA8DOA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2010 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Small & Fun Gagdet  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have IC-Q7E as long as I remember!

2AA cells keep`s it going for days superb on holidays etc!!!
Menu is simply to use, good reception!
Orginal antenna works more or less as a dummy load, so chage it!!!

It`s not an advanced rig, but it works on lokal repeter`s with confidence!

VY 73

WV4R Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2008 09:05 Send this review to a friend
A REAL wide-band POCKET radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Icom IC-Q7A

A REAL wide-band POCKET radio

When I first opened the first box of the Pair of Icom IC-Q7A handi-talkie radios, I was skeptical of the manufacturer claims.

I first put in a couple of regular AA’s while I began charging the 2-nicads in their supplied charger.

Putting on the supplied belt clip & wrist strap was a snap if you will pardon the pun.

Then I turned it ON while using the supplied ‘quickie cheat sheet’ in pocket format. Of course the supplied full owner manual is there for those into reading all about it.

The LCD display has good resolution/size for my ole eyes… yes it has “Beeps” too.

Did I say the design/weight make it a REAL POCKET radio?

Good sensitivity with the supplied shortie style rubber duckie antenna. I then tuned into FAA Approach Control and marveled at the good quality AM from the commercial aircraft coming out of the tiny speaker.

Did I say the SCANNER works great?

Once you are into the ICOM programming mentality it is like falling off a log to setup the way you want it for 2m, 440mhz, and wideband too. Get gud audio reports on the XMIT side as well.

Did I say it looks/feels great too?

It is what it is… a small, versatile POCKET radio with many features of the larger, bulkier models. It lasts Long Time on batteries too.

Cosmetics, features, sensitivity, clarity, memories, ease of use all truly earn the ICOM IC-Q7A the WV4R “5-star” rating.

73 es God bless… wv4r/murf.

G8KHS Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2006 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Small & useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this for about a year and use it to keep in contact with my friends at hamfests or rallys as we call them in the uk.
I also use it for comms when working up towers and short range simplex use.

Other than the above uses, I keep it in the shack store section with the drycells removed.

The things I like about it;
Small size
Sufficient level of audio rx & tx
Uses AA drycells
Soft case available
Menu ok
Call channels
UHF performance good.

The only thing I don't like is the adapter you have to use with external mics/headsets/earphones, not clever Icom, bulky and expensive, I dock you 1 point for that.

Bottom line, a good functional inexpensive tool that does the job I require.

73, John G8KHS

CRAIGRADIO Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2006 12:19 Send this review to a friend
James Bond look out  Time owned: more than 12 months
I lucked into an ic-q7a for $60.00 on ebay, this had the Mars/cap and was a real beauty. Since I am still not licensed (i know I am a slacker) and would not use this to transmit I sold it and bought a second one with all the accessories. I have only ever used it for RX, and it is a very capable scanner. With a new antenna, the opc-782 earphone attachment, you will be in your element, if you are a rf tracker like me.
Great to listen to the radio, great to keep for emergencies ( i keep mine in my attache at all times, just in case) just 2 AA batteries will keep you set for weeks.
It is a marvel of manufaturing, and reliability. Big sound, little body, and great charisma

N5RNY Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2006 12:58 Send this review to a friend
one more nit-pick  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wont repeat everything already said about this little radio, but I want to add that if you leave the radio un-used for a time, say a few weeks, and then expect those batteries to be charged, forget it. This radio draws a small amount of power even when turned OFF. That means that you have to take the batteries out when stored for more than a few days, and thats a bit of a hassle. Otherwise, for daily use, its a great little radio.

W5TD Rating: 4/5 Jun 15, 2006 07:10 Send this review to a friend
A nice surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up one of these HTs in a trade recently, and was pleasantly surprised by it. The audio sounds really good on it, and it is plenty loud for the size of the speaker. I wasn't expecting that. Also, I was able to get on the local repeater and make some QSOs at the 300mw power level. It is also nice that it runs off of 2 AA batteries, which you can find anywhere. It also is pretty easy to program. It is large by today's mini HT standards, but still pretty light. Just wish it did a little more power for its size.

VO1MDS Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2005 11:15 Send this review to a friend
ICOM IC-Q7A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little rig, had mine for about 2 weeks now, ni-cads batteries well work for up to 12 hours chating and listening, if they are fully charged.
the transciever is a great radio, good rig for going on a rf-sniff. take your favorite frequecncy counter along and your q7a, perfect for this!!.
the 350mw is just fine around my location. i have chatted into a local repeater located over 6 km away, i even made contact to a repeater that was over 35km away useing a 7 element cubical quad.
the sma connector is a little hard to get use too, if your useing bnc and pl-259 connectors all along. the sma is a lot smaller,and as such requires a special adater.
over all, i love my icom ic-q7a, nice qrp rig for local ragchews, or expermental purposes. great in all repects.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2005 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Perfect hamfest rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
When these were being sold off as a discontinued item, I bought one because I liked the size and weight of it. I attached a camera lanyard to the back and I ended up with the ideal hamfest radio. The lanyard always keeps it in easy reach and also protects it from ever being dropped to the ground. In addition to being a neat little ham HT, it also doubles nicely as an airband and public service scanner. I always take it with me when I travel too. I have been very pleased with my IC-Q7A.

K9KJM Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2005 00:00 Send this review to a friend
Still a solid **5**  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see that there are now two review catagories for this same radio.
I gave it a solid "5" back a few years ago when mine was still new looking..... On the "other" review... Now a few years later and the radio looks pretty rough from being used every single day of the week, Carried on the job, Dropped on concrete uncounted times, And generaly kicked about. The little Q7A is one of Icoms "good" radios!
I have owned quite a few Icom radios over the years, And with the exception of a few DUDS like the POS 2720H, Have had pretty good luck with most all of the others.....
Now that Icom has discontinued the little Q7A, It seems to be selling used for about as much as it was selling brand new a short time ago!!!!
The little Icom Q7A's day in the sun is over however, Now the new Yaesu VX2R does a lot more at around the same price range...... More power and even smaller!