Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-Q7A Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-Q7A
ICOM IC-Q7A Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $229
Description: Ultra compact 2 meter/440 MHz dual band handheld with full feature scanner.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/dualhand/index.html#q7a

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-Q7A.

AB2SA Rating: 4/5 Jan 24, 2005 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-Q7A is a good compact HT. I've had mine for over five years, and I would recommend it to anyone starting out in ham radio. The menus are easy to understand and the controls are straightforward. Despite it's lack of output power, I can easily make contacts through several area repeaters. I also like the general coverage receiver. The only negative about it is trying to work the function key and the knob with one hand at the same time. You really need to use two hands to make changes in the menus, but if you intend to use it mobile, all you need to do is program the frequencies along the route ahead of time in memory.

VA2DJX Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2004 12:59 Send this review to a friend
q7a the big one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
AHHH the q7a make me feel like i am ,,
Bond ,james bond hi hi
this radio is simply great ,,
better than the other like vx-1r ,,(reception)
for the low power ,,u can hit local repeater
only,, but wow for the price u got a good scanner and ham radio.

if u see one take it .....

SEAN-SAGE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2004 01:40 Send this review to a friend
My ONLY radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would have to give this radio a 5/5 as it has been great for me. I am able to get the local repeaters in Tacoma, and I can recieve everyting from 30MHz, to 1.3GHz. Currently, this is my only working rig, and I am saving for a more powerful mobile or base type rig. This Radio was a gift from my cousin as a congratulations on passing my exam, and I have greatly enjoyed this radio.(haven't quite figured out scan, but I'm probably just overthinking it...)

N4LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2003 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Useful and fun.  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK…

This is a low-power HT. It is not intended to be one’s primary radio. Once that important piece of information is understood, this radio is very attractive.

300mw is more power than you might think, though. With that power, I can hit many – but not all – of my local repeaters. But, ragchewing with the locals is not the reason to buy this little wonder. There are many other reasons to.

The strength of the Q7A is its size and weight. It’s about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and weighs little more. That being the case, you can slip it into a pocket and take it nearly anywhere. Then, its utility really comes to light. I had a ball with this radio walking around Manhattan; the repeaters were on the nearby buildings, so signal was no issue. I had similar experiences in New Orleans (drinking a Hand Grenade on the veranda at Tropical Isle on Bourbon) and Dallas. And for finding your friends at the Hamfest, this is the perfect radio. Fun…

I also use the heck out of this thing as my crossband radio. I often work 10m FM through my car at the Park, etc., and this radio is perfect for that.

The only downside I can find is a function of size. Operating the radio requires close reading of the manual, as there is little room for many controls. Once understood, though, the radio is not hard at all to use. And the double-A batteries work well to power the HT. I use rechargables, but, in a pinch, I could buy some batteries at the drug store. Cool; ‘ya can’t do that with most other HTs!

The Q7A is a great choice, as long as you know the unit’s limitations. Nice.

Peter, N4LI

HP1KL Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2003 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Great w/t, great scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I paid a bit more -- never mind -- it was well worth it! I use it primarily as a scanner with one bank with public service/utilities, the other bank with TV audio and airport freqs. I rarely transmit, but I am still amazed at the range every time I do. I like the 800-mHz coverage, which does not leave out important freqs. near 867 mHz, which I believe the R-5 does exclude. I sometimes use a "shorty" antenna, but reception does suffer a bit. It is a great radio!

'73 - Tony/HP1KL

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2003 10:02 Send this review to a friend
My daily radio companion  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this radio second-hand and have been very happy with it, with the possible exception of the stock antenna. I had been pleased with the stock antenna on my Kenwood TH-G71A, so through the classifieds I found a spare one of these. The combination of the IC-Q7A rig and TH-G71A antenna is a marriage made in Ham Heaven.

The Q7A was easy to program (I got a PC cable and software for it) and it is easy to operate. I carry it in by briefcase to work during the week. It is great for monitoring the bands and is easy on the alkaline batteries, at least on RX. I programmed in all the WX frequencies, and this is my go-to radio for weather information.

If you want an earpiece and microphone, MFJ sells a relatively inexpensive cellphone-like single plug unit that works on this rig without the adapter cable.

I can get into the main repeaters in my area for casual use, but for ARES and other serious use I turn to something with more power.

All in all, I think this was a very successful purchase.

WB6TNB Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2003 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Partially as a result of reviews I read here I picked up one of these a few days ago. HRO had it on sale for $110 for one day only; a great price. I can get into most repeaters better than expected. For non ham radio reception I put it up against one of my scanners and it did extremely well; once again better than expected.

At air shows I'll be able to listen to the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds, etc. on *their* frequencies in the 250-400 Mhz military aviation band. I already have one handheld scanner (the Radio Shack Pro-60) that does that (most don't); my wife just inherited it for that purpose. It's fun when people ask me what frequency I'm hearing them talk to each other on, and they say "mine doesn't get that" when I tell them. I will probably use it more as a scanner than a transceiver.

I suspect the one I got has been sitting around for awhile. This one shipped with a BC-127A Ni-Cd charger (and two 700 mah AA Ni-Cd's; I think I saw a Ni-CD once in a museum!), which is listed as an option on both Icom's data sheet and the instruction manual. It shows up in HRO's current catalog as selling for $20.95!! However to use headphones you have to buy Icom's "plug adapter cable" that HRO sells for $16.95. To use the antenna on the car I'll have to get either a PL-259 or BNC to SMA adapter.

Those last two are very minor gripes. For $110-120 you can't go wrong with this rig. At this price everybody should have one.

KF9VH Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2003 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am well pleased with this ht. Nice size, wide banded and AA batteries. It does every thing I expected it to do.

KI4AJA Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2003 23:07 Send this review to a friend
Great for listening!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I knew up front that TX was going to be weak on this HT, but I'm very pleased with the RX. I love how I can take it anywhere since it's so small. Truth is, it will get into a repeater just fine as long as your within a couple of miles of it. Used it for simplex at a hamfest, and it performed perfectly. I'll probably get another HT with higher power TX, but I expect to keep this one too. If it only had 500-700 mW. I would have given it a 5.

K6ICV Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2003 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Money well spent...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is definately worth the $120. It does have great receive sensitivity across its full range. The transmit power is low, but I have had nothing but full quieting reports on the local repeaters. One of the repeaters is even about 15 miles as the crow flies. The batteries do last a long time. I am using NiMH batteries rather than the supplied NiCADs. So far my overall opinion of the radio is GREAT! The only down side for me is that the scan speed is a little slow. It's not really slow like the old radios, but it's not as fast as a true scanner. It takes a second or two to scan about the 20 memories I programmed in, where as my radio shack scanner scans all those in under 1/2 a second. In comparison, my old HT and other mobile rigs would have taken about 10 or 15 seconds to scan 20 channels. If you are looking for an inexpensive, but well built and very useful radio, this is the one. If you want to be able to reach those more distant repeaters, spend the money on a more powerful rig. Cheers!