Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | DXing 101X Help

Reviews Summary for DXing 101X
DXing 101X Reviews: 44 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $24.95 plus postage
Description: This is a great reference book for all DXers.
More info: http://ac6v.com/DXSAMPLE.htm

You can write your own review of the DXing 101X.

KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Great for any station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received mine. It's the" DX101x HF + Six meters" This is the newest version and it is bound solid. Not the old loose leaf type. Agreat tool and read for any Ham.

WA6L Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2008 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Should be in every Ham's library  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

"DXing 101" has been on my nightstand for several months now. After reading through it once, I find myself going back to it time and time again. Every time I pick it up, I learn something new or gain new insight into Amateur Radio operations.

I would call it more of an operations manual than strictly a DXing book. Certainly, there is a treasure-trove of information on making DX contacts. But there is also information on equipment, propagation, etiquette, and resources that will help any Ham; regardless of their interests or experience.

The final measure of the book is whether or not the information can be transferred to the mic or the key and have any effect. The answer to this is a resounding "Yes!" I have used many of the tips from the book and can honestly tell you that they have helped me make more and easier DX contacts.

The book could benefit from some additional editing. Minor errors aside, I noticed that there were a number of paragraphs that were copied and pasted verbatim from one part of the book to another.

KM5Q Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2008 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Bringing me up-to-date  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
DX101X is superb! I have been on the air only occasionally since the 70's, and now I'm getting back into it. So much has changed! This book is bringing me up to 21st century. It's VERY well written, easy to understand, and enjoyable. It's great to have one general survey text, and a reference as well.

AJ4GR Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2007 07:02 Send this review to a friend
DX ing 101 - FM 101  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am still a new ham. I earned my Tech 1/2006 and General a year later. Extra is taking extra ;-) time.

My experience with most radio books I have read explain technical information technically. Often I would find my eyes glazing over. Well, I got my DXing 101 on a Friday and didn't put it down until the last page sometime on Sunday. Yes there is great deal of information and yes some of it was over my head. Yet Rod is able to make it clear enough so that upon rereading I was able to get it. (the cartoons help) Quit a feat IMHO.

FM 101 was the same way.

Great job Rod. BTW his website is a plethora of info as well.

Ralph (KI4NJZ)

KI6MUL Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2007 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The author, AC6V, is one of the most experienced and knowlegable hams, and a real resource. I found this book well worth its modest cost. Beautifully bound in spiral so that it lies flat on your desk.
Well over 200 pages of extremely interesting and useful advice, facts, and data on operations on both HF and Six Meters.
I highly recommend this book for both the person interested in ham radio and also the licensed ham.
It is so comprehensive and useful that just one of his thousands of tips is well worth the purchase price of the entire book.
Go down to your local ham bookstore and just take a look at this book. It is probably one of the best and most useful ham books for HF and Six meters, in addition to the ARRL Handbook itself. Useful for both the casual ham and the most avid DX enthusiasts. 5 stars.
AC6V maintains an extremely useful website, referenced in the book.
Also, if you operate above 6 meters, or are thinking of it, check out AC6V's book on 2 meters and beyond. It is another jewel that you will find indispensable. Check AC6V extensive website for more info and references. Thank you Rod.

N6XE Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2007 10:12 Send this review to a friend
The reference I was looking for!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham for over a dozen years but only recently upgraded to General then Extra, and am new to HF. I was astonished at how difficult it was to find information online about very basic things. Try to figure out how one goes about dealing with QSL cards on the ARRL website, for example. Even beyond the ARRL site, there are surprisingly few *good* sources for a lot of things that go on every day in the HF world.

AC6V's book was exactly what I needed. I saw it on the shelf at my local HRO and flipped through it, and was instantly hooked. I've now read the whole book and it was exactly what I needed, especially in terms of the nuances in DXing, pileups, contests, etc. I spent a lot of time "just listening" on HF but that just doesn't get you all the answers like this book does. This book fills a niche that desperately needed to be filled.

My only minor complaint is the amateur binding, printing, and editing of the book. I wish it was produced in a more durable format that I could use constantly without worrying about it falling apart. If you are a perfectionist in terms of editing and English, this book may drive you mad. I do appreciate the charm of such publications, so it's not a problem for me.

Unless you can't stand for those editing issues, I'd recommend this book to anyone, particularly if you're new to HF.

KD7H Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2007 20:45 Send this review to a friend
An excellent resource  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AC6V's wonderful resource is extremely thoughtful and thorough. Considering how much is packed into this book, it is an amazing bargain, and I highly recommend it.
With deference to Hugh Cassidy, WA6AUD--
Let us probe the silent places,
Let us seek what luck betides us,
Let me take you to a lonely land I know,
There's a whisper on the night wind,
There's a star agleam to guide us,
And the wild DX is calling,
Let us go!---with AC6V's book in hand.
DX is!

KJ6EB Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2007 16:58 Send this review to a friend
An invaluable reference for ALL hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are armed with AC6V's "DX101x HF AND SIX METERS DXING", all you need supply in order to successfully start-off into the fascinating world of DX is your own HF rig, a good antenna, your ears, and a steady hand at the paddles! The information in AC6V's "DX101x" is presented in a no-nonsense, but highly informative and entertaining manner: Packed into this 245 page book are the proper (but sometimes forgotten!) general ham operating procedures and 'etiquette'; instructive DXing and contesting approaches; secrets to successful DX contacts; the whys and wherefores of all-important HF propagation; info on how to properly use your rig to its limit; details of what all those transceiver specs really mean; lists of every conceivable and invaluable software programs that are available for download on the Web; CW operating aids and procedures; how to properly QSL DX stations; and too much more to mention here. In fact, this book contains just about everything you need to know that would be of interest to any new or intermediate DXer or beginning contester -- or even to an old ragchewer (such as myself) who wants even more out of our terrific hobby. And an inclusive index lets you find what you need fast, while the book is bound in such a way that it will remain open to the page you need -- and book updates are as close as AC6V's comprehensive ham Website's URL.
If I were permitted to keep but a single amateur radio book, this would be the one!

N7GCO Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2006 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think this is one of the most helpful books I have read on ham radio! I am continually referring to it. I have found Rod's suggestions so valuable. I am an agresive reader and own most of the books published on ham radio, and if I could only keep two ham books, this would certainly be one of them. Buy it, you will not be sorry.
Thanks Rod for your contribution to the hobbie!!!!

K4NFG Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had my no-code Tech ticket for 15 years. Last Fall I upgraded to General, but, without an Elmer, I didn't really know where to start with HF.

DX 101X turned out to be a great starting point. It systematically explained radio functions (thank you!) and everything you could need to know about DX. This book is not only for beginners but would be a great reference for experienced DXers as well.

A great buy, no regrets!

John