Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-733A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-733A
Kenwood TM-733A Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $730
Description: 2 Meter/440 Dual Band.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-733A.

NA5XX Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2016 21:21 Send this review to a friend
I bought a 2nd one  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TM-733a is a good radio and can be had at an excellent used price for a dual band radio. Dual receive is an important feature to me in a radio and the TM-733 has it. It is not computer programmable, but I don't need to program it several times so not a problem. The only down side to me is the need for an external duplexer. It makes it kind of bulky. Other than that no complaints. I have had my first 733 for a few years and bought my second last week. If you find one grab it. I use one as a home base radio and the other will go into the go box.

K7RFI Rating: 3/5 Feb 11, 2014 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Not for me!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio very cheap but dont like the menu system, have to read the manual to make any changes. I have several radio's with menu systems
ft 950, baofeng uv5ra and as long as you select the menu you can make changes, not so with the tm 733
in all fairness it works fine crossband repeat works
well receiver is not as good as my 25 year old ts 700s.

KE4JSX Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2012 12:43 Send this review to a friend
It's been fun while I had it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thanks eHam. My VHF side is on the way south and I found on here that I'm not alone. That being said, I have loved this radio for 8 plus years. Maybe I'll keep it for the UHF and add a straight 2m rig in the shack. Sorry I sold off the separation kit, but it was awesome to have while it was in the truck.

KE6BQW Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 12:00 Send this review to a friend
WORK HORSE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine since mid 90's stationed in Japan. Im the original owner. It's been on at least 5 of trucks thourgh the years. It also has done Home Base duties. Never faltered and still putting out full power on its three settings.
Great Rig!

DD4DA Rating: 4/5 Nov 6, 2011 03:34 Send this review to a friend
Works pretty  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchaised the TM733E (European version, what ever the hell the differents are) in 1996 and used them about a decade without any trouble. In 2006, the 2m TX max power is decreased if the unit is getting warmer. Instead 50Watts, the TX reached max 25Watt and less. I decided me to check'em and find out, that the Power Module has got hair fine cut an the ceramic pcb. The used SAV-17 is not available as spare part becaus ist was end of life since abt. 6 Years.
The surplus resellers price was horrible so i replaced them with a different module from Mitsubishi M67741L with less power (35Watt) and since that fault, the trx works pretty fine.The newer mosfet power modules available with up to 60 Watts needs a different control voltage range (max 5V for 60 Watt instead max 12V for 50 Watt) as the SAV-17 and M67741L Modules.
There is not enought space for buil a conversation unit.
The rubbished RJ45 Connector for the microphne need replaced a couple of times.

VE3PWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2010 14:14 Send this review to a friend
My # 1 Work Horse.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my first Kenwood TM 733 back in December 1993.... Since then ... I've purchased 2 more and NEVER had a problem with one of them....
All 3 of my 733's I purchased new...
Since then.. I've sold 2 of them this year because I wanted to upgrade radio's with ones that have more than 70 memory channels in total...
I still use my very first original one purchased as my base radio and it's never let me down...
I don't ever want to part with it....
If you find one that has been looked after at a Flea Market or on Ebay .. Try It.. You might like it... It was a Gem back in the 90's...
I just wish it had more than 70 memory channels... Then I wouldn't have sold the other 2....
73 Martin VE3PWR

W0EAJ Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2009 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Good, but tired  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not to be the ONLY naysayer, but although mine has served me VERY WELL, the VXO died in it a few years back - sent it off to KENWOOD, and they replaced it - worked for about a year, then same problem. I know it's thermal, but it's a bugger to get to, and the assembly is ceramic, so difficult to resolder.

I always wished the "tiny" little sub-menu titles were bigger (hey guys, I'm not 14 here), as sometimes you accidentally put it on that "bell" mode when you're driving, and have to pull over, and get out the reading glasses to get it back "home". Good sensitivity and no other problems.

KC5UWS Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2009 22:27 Send this review to a friend
A solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally got my trusty old Kenwood TM-733A back in my truck after a three year hiatus due to many other busy things taking priority. It's nice to be back on the air and it's nice to be there with a trusted old friend. The 733 is definitely a product of the 90s with a reasonable set of features but somewhat limited memories (100 plus two call stations). There are no menus, all features being accessed either through function keys (six plus two levels of shift for a total of 18) or sometimes obscure combinations of keys. The most common functions are relatively accessible though. After three years away, it only took a few dozen minutes with the radio before my fingers remembered most of the key sequences necessary to operate this radio.

Like an old friend, the 733 isn't perfect, but it's good and reliable. I've had mine for 13 years now and it just keeps working. It would be nice to have a newer radio with a few more memories, memory banks for organization and alpha-numeric labels on the memories, but the 733 is good enough that my thoughts on getting a new radio remain just thoughts. When I do finally get a new radio, the 733 is going to become a base station in my office. I'll run it forever or as long as it lasts.

KC9LCS Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2008 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Performance But Lacking Ease of Use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this radio!!! The radio does not have anyway to name channels. The instruction manual is very difficult to understand. I have good reports on this radio. I would recommend this radio to anyone. The issues I have pointed out are minor and don't effect the great audio quality.

KN4X Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Energizer Bunny, Keeps Going, and Going, and Going!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used mobile almost every day since 1996. Best audio. Many great features. Those willing to spend the time and get fully up-to-speed are well rewarded with is radio. Probably not the simplest radio in teams of user interface, but you're not much of an operator if you cannot read, try features and follow a simple manual. If you see one for sale that tests ok, snap it up. Put it in your shack for a week or two to get familiar with all of the features. Then mount it in your commuter vehicle and enjoy. I bought a lightly used 733a 3 years back to replace my everyday unit (if it ever fails), but the original just keeps on going, and the backup is waiting on it's day to shine ... and no, it's not for sale:)