Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-733A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-733A
Kenwood TM-733A Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $730
Description: 2 Meter/440 Dual Band.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-733A.

N4RAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Love them all  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll keep this one short. Great mobile dual and. I love this radio. I have 6 yeah that's right...six of them. If you have one for sale....CALL ME NOW!!! You can clone them over the air. Easy for out of band modification and have great Kenwood Audio. The black mic, like the one in this picture, is the best. The newer backlit mic has terrible "tinny" sounding audio and is too big for my hands. I have one in almost every car and truck and one at work and one at the house.

N4RAP is clear.

KB9VGR Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2005 10:09 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this is the best radio iv ever had and my second mobile i bought it at dayton 2004 with a 440 antenna an external speaker and the remote mount kit my only problem is the head unit lights dont work am looking for a parts rig to replace the head unit lights would probably buy another if price and timming were right has all the features i need and not too complex although the mic just pooped out on me i can still cross band with my ht nice sturdy radio has awsome coverage i accessed the muncie in repeater from i70 near the state line

AC6VV Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2004 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Lockup, displaying "on"  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using my TM-733A for ten years, I still love it. It has everything I need (an alpha display would have been a nice extra). I'm posting in case anyone else encounters a lockup condition with the word "on" displayed. It's happened twice in ten years, apparently due to a key sequence during powerup, perhaps with an intermittent power feed(?)

Don't give up! All is not lost! If it happens to you, you will need to open the radio and disconnect power from the memory for a while. Don't mess with the battery. Just disconnect the ribbon cable from the panel at the upper ckt board. This requires lifting gently on the white plastic tabs at the ends of the connector on the upper board. After it moves up to the disengaged position, simply pull the ribbon out of it to isolate the memory, which is in the front panel. I left mine out overnight to be sure the memory was zeroed out. When the ribbon was restored, and the radio connected, it came back to life.

N3GOO Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2004 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good dual bander. Mine didn't have the CTCSS tone problems the early ones had, in fact have had for 8 years with no repairs. Only issue is when using detachable front panel, make certain that the panel contacts make good contact with the cable, or the rig can lock up and lose some memory channels. I traced this problem to some excess plastic (mold flash?) on the DFK kit, removed it with a sharp knife and have not had any problems since. Very convenient radio, especially in small cars where mounting the rig in the trunk and only putting the control panel up front is the best approach.
Cross band works ok, but bear in mind it's against the rules unless you can set up some way to ID on the frequency back to you.

918 Rating: 4/5 Apr 25, 2004 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had my TM-733A for a short time I am realy enjoying it. I need to work with the radio some more but that should be fun. I do have one problem, I can not find the Cable to use the removable face any where. If some one out there has one or can connect me with some one that has one I would be a happy Firefighter.

PU1-MLL Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2004 11:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally purchased this rig in 2002-used of course. I donīt have anything bad to talk about it, but, crossband function is so confused to activate, only. If you wanna a dual, TM-733 is so good.

KB8WCN Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2004 15:57 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine since 93. Haven't had a single issue with it and believe me, it's been through the ringer. I couldn't tell you how many hours are on it? Too many to even think about. The only down side is the heatsink seems a little small for the radios output. It gets hot and hot quick! So far it sure hasn't effected it's longevity though.

With the A.I.P. on it suffers little to no intermod in my area north of Detroit. Intermod in my opinion is the downside to these wide band radios anyhow. Unless excessive (like my old Icom 2000H) I won't give it much thought. The transmit audio is outstanding from this radio. The receive is just what I expect from KW, excellent! I use an extension spkr instead of the small built in one which makes it tough in noisy mobile environments. X band repeat is a big plus and easy to use. I have had many dual band radios and this one has yet to be beat. Also mine is a 60m+ serial number so I haven't experienced the distorted PL tone issue others have. That seems to effect radios in the 50m and below serial number. If you can find a nice clean one at a good price I wouldn't think twice about buying it. I have an Icom 208H coming. Lets see how it compares.

WA4ET Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine forever, which in this case is since 1992 or so. Its been a mobile, then a base, then mobile again, and now its my combo base and packet station on the other side. Sometimes I sit back and wonder why they change rigs. In my opinion, this rig is as current as any on the market today, and it certainly had nice styling. If it had a fault, it would be it didnt come STD with a Backlite hand mic, so add 45 bucks

KC4ZGK Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Mine was great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recieved mine from my wife as a gift when they first arrived in 1993. After 11 years of almost continuous service it had a CPU lockup and cannot be revived. This was a great radio but with only one problem, big time intermod around Sweat Mountain here in north Georgia which is where I live. Im not sure what I will replace it with but most likely it will be another Kenwood. 73's Ed

KB4TPP Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 03:24 Send this review to a friend
Great unit, they don't make them like this anymore.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a 733 since 2001, I am the second owner. I use it everyday, and this is the best 180 dollars I spent (what a deal, only at a HAMFESt not on GREEDBAY). Never had a bit of trouble, and just checked it out recently after almost four years mobile. Power output, better than spec. RX sensitivity, better than spec. The unit is solid, works well everytime, and in my opinion, the TX audio is miles above the D700A and Kenwood's of late, and puts Yaesu's tinny cheap audio of rigs like the FT-90 to shame.

Drawbacks: intermod, especially on UHF. But if you use PL decode, you won't hear any. The crossband repeat is a little hard to enable, and once it is on, you must wait for the unit to stop TX or RX'ing before you can disable it. That's about it on the downside.

Crossband audio is superb, not muddy and overdriven like the D700 (what a dissapointment).
Considering it's age, it still holds a plethora of features like full remote control via DTMF, DTMF paging, dual in band recieve, etc.

If you are looking for a solid dual band on the used market, this is one to consider. I was thinking about replacing mine with a D700, but after using one (at least on FM voice), you will RUN back to your 733. They don't make them like this anymore.