Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Midland 73-005 VHF HT Help

Reviews Summary for Midland 73-005 VHF HT
Midland 73-005 VHF HT Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $269
Description: VHF HT with DTMF keypad and OPTIONAL tone encode/decode.

You can write your own review of the Midland 73-005 VHF HT.

KC0ETV Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2006 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Neat radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a 73-005a. I love this little HT. It does not have the optional tone board, but for me that is not such a worry. I did find a place that supposedly can get them:

It did take a little bit to figure out how to program it, but not a problem. I love the size. I have smaller HTs with more features, but I think this will be one I use a lot.

KG4RND Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2004 01:57 Send this review to a friend
Cool radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased it off ebay for 60 bucks with the optional tone encode/decode board in pristine condition. I must say if you are looking for a user friendly radio this ain't it. But after spending several hours fiddling with it, I've about figured out how to use it. If you take the time to learn how to use it it is a pretty nice rig. I've gotten good signal reports on transmit and the audio on receive is loud and clear. The rig appears to be sturdy. This rig is a nightmare to program, but if you take the time to learn how it gets easier. If you can find one in good condition for a good price with the tone board buy it! I certainly would buy another one.

W2XOY Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2003 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Good, basic HT--poor Midland service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Midland 73-005A new 7 years ago at a hamfest. I had owned Midland amateur rigs in the 70's (13-500, 13-505, 13-509) and they were great. The good points about this HT--good sensitivity (better than my Yaesu FT-50), good audio on transmit & receive, no problems in 7 years of use, low price ($50 less than any other new HT at the time).
Bad points, no CTCSS (but I don't need it in my area), only 20 memories, poor service from Midland. Even when it was new, I had trouble getting accessories from Midland. I found that the Cherokee CB HT accessories fit the Midland, otherwise I wouldn't have spare batteries or charger.
I've also noted that Midland's CB service is also poor. Until they improve their act, they should stay out of the amateur field.

N2ANN Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2002 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Midland Ham HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a Midland 73-005 VHF HT and it is a GEM!
I understand the previous hams gripe as of the
radio doesn't have the Tone Encoder/Decoder
built in as it is only usefull in Europe countries.
I was lucky to grab this Collectors Item with
the Tone encoder Built In back in the early 90's as Midland no longer caters to the Amateur Ops!
The best thing you can do is to intergrade parts from ADI &/or Standard Radio but as i have discovered,Standard was sold & parts are going fast.
To the ham who seeks the tone encoder best to
contact ADI at http://adi-radio.com/ and
request the Encoder from the AT-201HP model
as this is compatable with this radio as Midland
did what all radio makers do (IE:RADIO SHACK) is just silk
screen their LOGO on the RIG !

73 Midland Collector

M005 Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2002 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I like this radio! It is a nice little radio only if you know what it can do.If you are interested selling yours send me an e-mail.If you want a tone board I can get you one ! not from china!

KC8PMM Rating: 0/5 Jan 16, 2002 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Not so good-STUPID radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these used and thought I would post a review so others won't get into my position. I have posted several reviews on this site and this is the first one I rated below a "4."

I did some research before buying this like-new radio and thought I was getting a decent, usable HT for a good price. I found information stating that CTCSS squelch was an optional feature for this radio and it is, but so is ENCODE!!! I thought, "I guess I'll have to buy a tone board." I spent about 15 total hours calling around and searching the internet only to find they are not available anymore. I can buy them in quantities of 30 from a place in China that will special-make them, but I only need one. What kind of company makes a radio like this, with all the circuitry and programming to enable the tone, but without the actual tone generator.

Another weird thing about this unit is the way the offset works/doesn't work. You can program 20 memories into the rig but offset info. is not stored. You have to set it as you need to. When the offset is changed, ALL the memories change with it EXCEPT channels 1 and 2.

The display has really small characters and the only thing really readable is the digits for frequency. If you are in very bright light and have good eyes, you can make out the +/- for offset direction.

I'll never fall for a Midland "wannabe" HAM radio again. They should stick with making cheap CB's or get their act together.